Looking for first AK

Irregardless of all the AR / AK debate, I think I'm going AK to start with.

I'm pretty ignorant about all the diffferent brands so can someone enlighten me?

I don't like buying the cheapest of anything but I will pay for quality if you know what I mean. I've done some reading and Norinco 56s seem to be a good buy but I thought I'd ask the experts here.

Thanks,

Jay

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd get a Saiga and convert it. Not hard to do and you end up with a Russian built gun made with new parts instead of one put together from kit parts. There is a ton of info on the web showing you how to convert it and also comply with the 922r regulations.

The Saiga 12 forum is one of the best on the subject. Scroll down past the shotgun info and you will see the AK info, etc.

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?act=idx

Edited by Trekbike
added link

The link below as a lot of information. The Norincos can be purchased at a decent price ($450-550) if you look around for a while. That's probably the best bargain AK if you don't want to convert a Saiga. A Saiga is a great way to go if you are willing to do the work on it. Not that hard, if you are mechanically inclined. If you can put a bit more into it, Arsenal is a great rifle.

AK47 Rifles

There are lots of AK forums, more than lots of opinions. Take your time deciding. There must be a minimum amount of US made parts on each imported AK.

Mine is an AMD-65 Hungarian built AK, I like it, it is a quality firearm. Most of the gun, including the receiver, is made in Hungary.

Try centerfiresystems.com they are having a sale.

Then buy alot of ammo. :(

Guest smileyguy

Like others have said, I hear the Arsenals are sweet, but I have no experience with them. I have a WASR and a Saiga which I hope to convert soon. My brother has an AMD. I've shoot some others, and I fondel as many as I can at the gun shops and gun shows.

IMHO, an AK is an AK, to some degree. Every one I have seen just flat out works, period! Some are nicer than others. My WASR (checked first for cant) is considered bottom of the barrel for AKs. The finish isn't as nice and metal mags wobble somewhat (poly mags are nice and snug after some dremmel work), but it is as reliable and shoots as good as any other. I'd like to have an Arsenal, but for the price I got 2 AKs, one of which, the Saiga, is a very nice, quality AK variant. Quality vs value is for each of us to decide on our own.

That said, I would go for a stamped receiver, basic stock variant. I don't think there is a real advantage to a milled receiver. It just adds uneeded weight. The folders are not as comfortable and seem a little flimsy.

i also have a WASR and purchased a Saiga already converted. I am working on converting a Sagia 12. I don't know much about ARs. Just what others have said.I do know the AKs are much easier to work on.

Guest no_masters

I've got a Maadi myself and love it. My suggestion would be to read up on the forums and see what kind you want for sure and then start looking.

Right now there are some bargains on the Arsenals and they are by far the best thing going in AK's ... aside from the Saiga conversion. Thing about AK's is they are really hard to screw up. The biggest problem people have is a canted front sight, but that is relatively easy to fix. The only tings to shy away from is single stack AK's and Century builds.

Here a are a couple places with some good deals.

Our Catalog - Specifically the Yugo underfolder

AK47/Combloc Rifles and Carbines - Tactical Gear, Equipment and Weapon Systems - These are century builds, but any issues are corrected by Henderson Defense.

Centerfire Systems - AK Firearms

Classic Arms Inc.

K-VAR Corporation :: Rifles & Shotguns :: SGL21 Series – 7.62x39 Caliber Russian Stamped Receiver AK-47 Variant Rifles :: SGL21-61

Guest tenman

Have put a few thousand rounds through my Saiga with only one feed issue, and that was my fault- mag was not fully seated. A lot of fun to shoot, break down is a snap, and a lot of parts to modify with. No, it will not shoot amazing groups but it is accurate enough inside 100m. The POSP scopes are pretty cool as well.

Guest Dean Wormer

I would go with the 'most Russian' AK you can buy, that would be ARSENAL's SGL-21 and SGL-31 line of AK rifles.

SAR-1 SAR-2 rifles are also pretty decent, less expensive, and go bang, but not nearly as good quality.

Personally, I would stay away from all but the most high end 'build' rifles

I would go with the 'most Russian' AK you can buy, that would be ARSENAL's SGL-21 and SGL-31 line of AK rifles.

To the Jay1313g the OP, we seem to all be pointing you in the same direction, which is Saiga. As clarification, the Arsenal SGL21 and 31 is a Saiga built rifle and has a few "trick" parts and complies with 922r.

It depends on which route you want to go, buy a base Saiga, imported as a sporting rifle and convert it yourself, or buy a finished built Arsenal.

I myself am partial to norinco I love my mak 90's and my mak 91 national match, but if your saying price isn't an issue vector makes some very fine ak's as well. I'll probably be posting my mak 91 up for sell soon to fund some other builds. Hope my 2 cents helps lol