Sig P250 9mm, XD9sc, Ruger SR9c?

Guest Boogieman

Guest Boogieman

Looking at the three guns in the title. I want your opinions please. I'd prefer pros/cons from owners or folks that have actually shot them but am interested in pretty much anything ya'll have to say. This will be my EDC and most likely carried in some kind of IWB setup. No HCP yet but that will come in September (wife is paying ofr it for my birthday). Thanks all.:rolleyes:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Either the SR9 or XD, but not the P250. The P250 is rather bulky and the trigger, while smooth, is very long. I like the compactness, egos, and capacity of the SR9. It will also be much more enjoyable to shoot at the range, which means more practice time. It is very thin for carry and the triggers are much improved over the first release. The XDsc is a proven gun with a lot of aftermarket support (triggers, sights, holsters, etc) and is rock solid. It would be my first choice of the 3 a strictly EDC, although if you plan to shoot it a lot I prefer the benefits of a full-size like the SR9.

My son owns (and carries) the XD9 sub. He has multiple choices, and tells me that's his first choice for an EDC. He totes in a Kholster, and it rides, he says, comfortably. And that's important as some days, he'll go 20-22 hours during shift. And it conceals well.

As far as shooting ... his came with an extended mag that makes it comfortable to shoot all day long at the range. And here, I'm speaking from experience. I have yet to become a fan of "plastic" guns (as I really like 1911s ... ... and maybe because I'm gettin' old). But I am actually ... ... can't believe I'm sayin' this ... ... considering one for my own EDC, as I've sold my "old reliable."

FWIW, it's the only "plastic" pistol I would consider, but that's just me (and just because it's the only thing, other than a Glock, that I've been able to bring myself to shoot in the non-metal field). I ain't a great pistol shot, but I do pretty good with the XD sub ... not as good as he does, but well enough to keep every round from the 7-ring in ...

Hope this helps ...

I owned the Sig P250 and wanted to sell it after the first shot. I gave it several boxes of ammo and several range trips but it never made a better impression on me. Its a garbage gun in my opinion. The XD is a great piece and you can't go wrong with it. I haven't any experience with the SR9. As always, go fondle and shoot and make your decision from there.

I can only tell you about the XD. Mine is the 4" service model, not the SC but the only difference is size. It's more than accurate enough for self defense, handles well, it's a natural pointer in my hands. Easy to disassemble for cleaning and it has a grip safety.You will not notice it's there when shooting and it adds extra protection should you accidentally drop it and it hits the floor of if it slips from your grip and you instinctively try to catch it. If you train yourself to remove your thumb from the grip while holstering it you don't have to worry if the trigger snags on something.

I tried them all and bought the SR9c mainly for the wife (low recoil)but I shoot it too

P250 being the worst of the bunch for me -

I love the Rugers for its great trigger,great price and so far not

one FTF.

The XDsc was great for too but I wanted something

made in USA and and less tactical looking for wifey -

The Rugers pop up on Buds for 389 shipped

which is a nice deal......Both the XDsc and the SR9c are great I also really like the G26

which is a hundred more .......all are great....

Guest Bonedaddy

My Stoeger Cougar 8000 beats them all. No pica-tinny but didn't need one. 15+1 cap. and built to last at least 30,000 rds. Hard chrome lined barrel is easy to clean and is way easier to field strip compared to an XD and Kholster makes IWB's for it, too.

The P250 has a looong but light and smooth trigger pull. I'd gauge it at a continuous 6#. Overall not bad, but I think it would make accurate rapid-fire practice-intensive. The XD-9 has a very short pull with a crisp, almost 1911-like release, also about 6# range. Trigger reset is a bit on the long side. Without feathering the trigger like a mad-man, you're looking at a .33-.50 second re-fire rate, after which it starts to get practice intensive.

The XD is thinner and narrow grip than the Sig. I have no experience with the SR-9.

My Stoeger Cougar 8000 beats them all. No pica-tinny but didn't need one. 15+1 cap. and built to last at least 30,000 rds. Hard chrome lined barrel is easy to clean and is way easier to field strip compared to an XD and Kholster makes IWB's for it, too.

Is it a subcompact? If not, then I think you posted in the wrong thread. Also, I don't know that anything can be much simpler to field strip than an XD.

Really...

Definitely my opinion of the one that I owned.

Guest Ae-35

Since I don't like an auto with a high bore axis, have to go with the SR9c, I've had a chance to shoot them all , ( they belong to a couple of shoot'n buddies ) my double tap times were a lot faster with the Ruger, over half a sec, over the p250 and over 3 tenths over the XD9sc. Having been a 1911 shooter for 30+ years, a low bore axis and short trigger-reset are the most important things, for me to shoot well ,and fast. I've really tried to like the XD. I bought one, ( XD9 ) , with the high bore axis, it felt too revolver like for me ( sold it ). I can shoot M&P's, SR9's, even Glock's much, much faster. That's because I was spoiled by 1911's at a young age. New guns are just too expensive to buy the " wrong " one, find, beg ,or rent, one of each ,and put 100 rds. through them. Then you'll know which one is for you . Good luck.

Guest The Highlander

SR9c is my advice. I love the thinness and light weight for carry. The bore axis is very low, which helps for recoil control and comfort. The grip feels very much like a commander size 1911 on the full-size version (a very good thing). The safety is nice, and is ambi from the box. The sights are adjustable out of the box, but mine was dead-on with my chosen Federal carry load.

I don't like the XD because of the high bore axis, and they are quite heavy for the size as well. Glocks are much lighter and easier for me to shoot. You have apparently ruled out Glock however.

The P250 is a fine weapon, and I like the interchangeability of the system. The SIG folks told me at the NRA show that a target sighted model is possible, and a .22 lr conversion is very likely if that is important to you (it is nice).

Of your three choices, I'd go with either the SR9c or a full-size SR9. Second choice is the SIG, and if you can't find anything else, I'd get the XD.

Go by Tri-Cities Gun Depot and handle them. They are great guys, and the prices are fair.

Really...

Yes...really. In the same way you compare a Kia to a Honda. They can't sell them at GT Distributors locally and are ditching them a $320 because they are taking up space for guns that, you know, actually sell. There is a valid reason for this. Not because it is a bad gun, but because every competitor is so good.

I don't like the XD because they are quite heavy for the size as well. Glocks are much lighter and easier for me to shoot.

Where do you people come up with this stuff? An XD9sc weighs in at 20.5 ounces. A G26 is 19.75 ounces. If you can tell the difference in three quarters of an ounce, then you might be a human scale. I have been into cars for a long time and this is the same as people that put an exhaust on their car (that maybe gave them an additional 3 hp) and say that they can "feel" the difference. I'm sorry but I refuse to believe that anyone can tell that insignificant of a weight difference.

Sorry to come across like an ass.

Where do you people come up with this stuff? An XD9sc weighs in at 20.5 ounces....

You'd better reweigh that puppy.

Springfield says 26 oz with compact empty mag.

My digital scale shows about that, or 23.5 oz with no mag in it at all.

And exactly 2 lbs loaded with 13+1

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe

Hey Cap, I am with ya on feeling that little difference in weight but probably it isnt the weight itself just that the guns feel different in folks hands.

I have not shot either the Sig or the the XD but both of them felt a bit thick for my hands, the XD I fondled was not however the "sc".

The first time I wrapped my hands around the SR9 it felt like a glove, I liked it so much and still do that when they announced the "c" version was coming out I ordered one sight unseen, I have never before done that. When I first saw the "c" I was astounded that it was as big as it was and not anything like what I would call a compact.

I did buy it as it had the same glove feel to me as it's big brother. I now carry the SR9c daily but every now and again I will still carry the full size version. I like both of them for the slimness factor, the capacity of 17+1 in either and the idea that they are made here in the US. I would recommend the OP try to borrow or rent all that he mentioned if possible before buying.

I have had no function failures from either of the Rugers and at least the full size was a tack driver right out of the box. I did need to adjust the sights on the "c" a bit but another feature I like is that the sights are very easily adjusted for both windage and elevation from the rear sight. No need for a sight pusher, just a small flat head screw driver and a very small allen wrench to adjust them.

When I got my first one it had a coupon for 50% off the Viridian lasers, the "c" did not but a friend recently bought a "c" and it did have the coupon. I ended up with a set of laserlytes for mine but have yet to install them, they simply replace the rear sight rather than attach to the rail.

Both of them also came with two Mags which seems to be getting less common these days. All in all with both of them around 400 bucks I think either of the Rugers would make a good choice for a dependable inexpensive American made EDC.

"IF" that is they "feel" right in the persons hand.

EDIT: I did not see your post OS, if there is that much difference in weight then I do think I would be able to tell the difference. Another thing is Ruger says the "c" and full size are the same width but I swear the "c" feels a bit thicker to me and even looks a little thicker?????

Edited by Sgt. Joe
You'd better reweigh that puppy.

Springfield says 26 oz with compact empty mag.

My digital scale shows about that, or 23.5 oz with no mag in it at all.

And exactly 2 lbs loaded with 13+1

- OS

I got my numbers from several online resources. My XDsc is in Florida and I don't have a Glock to weigh.

Guest Boogieman

I am hoping to get somewhere and rent a few before I make the choice to buy. It took me forever to come up with those three choices and will probably take just as long to narrow it down to one. Thanks for the info guys and keep it coming.