1911 questions. Educate me.

Guest drv2fst

Guest drv2fst

I have decided that I want more 1911's. I really like them for several reasons. Currently, I have two full sized heavy guns. One is a Colt and the other is a Springfield. I shoot better with these guns than any other I own (Kahr, Glock, XDM, Walther).

What I am looking for is a 1911 to carry. The ones I currently have are just too big and heavy. I have several questions.

1) Stick with .45 or go with 9mm? Again, just in 1911's. I like the Smith and Wesson Pro Series in .45. I also like the EMP's. Which will be more reliable for a EDC? This is not a caliber power question, it's a gun reliability question. Let's assume that I need to place shots well and capacity offsets caliber. Again, reliability only (in 1911's) not caliber wars.

2) I am very intrigued by the "custom" or "high-end" 1911 brands like: Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, and maybe this new line of 1911's by Hero Gear. I want to hear from 1911 fans. Are these brands worth it? Why pay double or triple for a 1911 when there are many good factory options? Hero Gear feel free to chime in. I know you are biased and that is OK. What makes these 1911's better? Are those differences practical or just bragging rights?

3) 3" gun or is 4.25" the smallest reliable 1911?

4) Alloy frame or is heavy stainless steel required to make a good gun?

Edited by drv2fst
added questions
  • Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

My Hero 1911 shoots as well as any I've ever shot, and better than some of the tier 1 brands I've shot. You've put a couple of magazines through the weapon, so here's your standard of comparison. I also really like the idea of supporting a Tennessee company, and the fact that I can have a personal conversation with the builder and get it just like I want it.

On the other end of the spectrum, my RIA 1911 has more slop and fit and finish is just okay, but it is a GREAT shooter. I think this really represents the 1911 as a battle proven weapon well. I think their legendary reliability is due at least in part to the fact that they still work well when they are a little loose.

I think my next purchases in this space will be to start collecting some old 1911's.

On carrrying, I've found with my Commander sized frame, the right holster makes all the difference. I love the DM Bullard dual carry I'm using right now.

1) Stick with .45 or go with 9mm? Again, just in 1911's. I like the Smith and Wesson Pro Series in .45. I also like the EMP's. Which will be more reliable for a EDC? This is not a caliber power question, it's a gun reliability question. Let's assume that I need to place shots well and capacity offsets caliber. Again, reliability only (in 1911's) not caliber wars.
1911's in 9mm have a reputation for being spotty as far as reliability is concerned. As far as carry goes, there is no size or weight difference between a 9mm and a .45 except for the weight of the ammunition. 1911's with barrels shorter than 4.25"(commander size) also have a reputation for spotty reliability. That doesn't mean you can't get an officer size 1911 that will run 100% though. I don't think the barrel length makes much difference when carrying. IMO the advantage of the officer sized pistols for carrying is not the shorter barrel, it's the shorter officers frame. You can get 1911s from several manufacturers with officer frames but commander length barrels. Bobtails reduce weight and grip size which makes them popular choices for carry too. My choice for a 1911 for carry would be a commander sized with an aluminum and/or bobtail frame. JMO.
2) I am very intrigued by the "custom" or "high-end" 1911 brands like: Les Baer, Ed Brown, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, and maybe this new line of 1911's by Hero Gear. I want to hear from 1911 fans. Are these brands worth it? Why pay double or triple for a 1911 when there are many good factory options? Hero Gear feel free to chime in. I know you are biased and that is OK. What makes these 1911's better? Are those differences practical or just bragging rights?
The big difference is in hand fitting and attention to detail. They may or may not be more accurate than your average high quality 1911. Whether that extra care in manufacturing is worth the extra money or not is up to the individual who's buying one. I don't own any ultra high end 1911s but have handled and shot quite a few. They don't function any differently than anything else, but I have to say that there is something that just feels right about them. The last Les Baer I picked up would have come home with me if I'd had a little more cash.
Guest drv2fst

I liked your Hero 1911. It did shoot very well. My "sloppy" Colt shoots well also (but is not a carry weapon). I would need much more range time (hint, hint) to really tell the difference. I think most 1911's shoot well. I wonder mostly about reliability. I am trying to move to a 1911 (from a G19) as EDC. Reliability matters more than X, Y, or Z.

However, I also believe that one needs to really enjoy the gun to get to the range enough to stay sharp, quick, and accurate. I enjoy 1911's more, so I will practice with 1911's more. I really like the smaller 1911's or the 4.25" guns in alloy and with a bobtail.

I guess I should add a couple of other questions to the list:

3) 3" gun or is 4.25" the smallest reliable 1911?

4) Alloy frame or is heavy stainless steel required to make a good gun?

• Admin Team

You're welcome to shoot mine anytime. I'm thinking about heading to the range one night this week. I'll PM you if I decide to go.

'I think the Officer sized 1911's get a bad reputation. At least the new ones, anyway. Sure, you probably need to put some rounds through it to make sure it works for you, but that's any weapon. I think the major manufacturer Officer sized weapons are probably pretty reliable. Match up you ammo, shoot enough to be sure, and be comfortable carrying the weapon.

As to the frame material, alloy is probably fine for most of us. It's certainly lighter than stainless or carbon steel. I've heard of stress cracks showing up sooner in allow framed weapons, but that's after 10's of thousands of rounds. For the average shooter, I just don't see this as a point of contention. I think most of the bias is based on "carbon steel was good enough for JMB, so it's good enough for me". If you decide on an alloy frame, feel good about it.

BTW, I'd have a hard time calling that Colt of yours "sloppy" It might not be a carry weapon, but I really enjoyed shooting it.

I have a Colt 1991A1 Compact that I have been carrying. It is stock except for the Heinie Straight 8 sights and I have had very few problems. the only problems I have had related to magazines but after switching to Tripp mags for the compact it has been solid. I shot a match last year and put about 350 rounds through it that day and had no problems. I always here that anything less than a 5" is unreliable but mine has been good to go.

The minimum concensus seems to be a Commander-size for reliability, but ... I have a Springfield Micro (Officer-size) that has NEVER failed me. Fed it just about everything you can find, from high-$ personal defense rounds to the cheapest factory stuff (including factory reloads). It has had a little custom work (nothing major, though) from JMR Gunsmithing, all related to function, not appearance. I'd be hard-pressed to ever get rid of it because I can rely on a"bang" every time the trigger is pulled (and also because I just enjoy it).

Sold my other, EDC, Springer. Nothing custom. Also 100% reliable. Got asked to price it and did, and I've been sorry of it ever since. The one I have left looks so good that I really hate carrying it every day (especially in summer with the sweat, etc.) Looking for an officer-size replacement now. And while I could tote a full-size guv-mint or Commander (got both), I'm still happiest with the Officer / Micro as an EDC inside waistband.

That being said, I'd love to try an EMP. Just don't know that I want to invest that much with the jury still out on reliability ...

Just my :). Can't speak for anyone else, but my experience with (2) SA Micros has been outstanding.

Guest drv2fst

Yes, I could use another trip to the range. Keep me in mind when you go. I agree that you have to shoot a gun (any gun) 100's of times before you can be comfortable with it. And what you like is a very subjective decision. That is that path that lead me to the 1911's. I can shoot "plastic" guns well but "prefer" to shoot the 1911's out of enjoyment factor.

Guest drv2fst

As for small 1911's I like these: EMP 9mm, Colt New Agent .45, and Smith & Wesson Pro Series. Of those three the S&W seems to be the front runner.

It's not a 1911 but from what I can tell there's not much difference in the internals. The Para Ordnance LDA P-14 is a .45 with a 14 round magazine capacity. As far as I can tell it's the same as a 1911 except for a double stacked mag and the double action trigger. Any full length 1911 holster will fit it just fine. Right now I have an OWB Bianchi that I just love. The handgun flies outta that thing like a bat outta hel. However, I am looking for a shoulder holster system because the beavertail jabs me in my fat when I carry on the hip. My overall carry scheme is to also pick up a Taurus PT1911 in .38 super and carry the 2 of those. With that being said it's not that big of a deal if a holster doesn't work out, I'll just try it out with the Taurus when I finally do get it. I also have plans to pick up the GSG 1911 in .22 lr that everyone's been talking about recently. That way I'll have both my semi-auto carry guns in the 1911 platform (essentially) and a range gun for cheap plinking in the 1911 platform. I'm hoping it will severly reduce difficulty and bad groupings when switching firearms. Once I have that worked out I'll be good on my semi-auto carry guns, but I'll still need a couple revolvers, one for a little pocket gun and I'd like to have a .357 revolver with a 7 round capacity.

Guest drv2fst
Believe it or not, I can conceal a full sized 1911 easier than a glock 27.

Did you get a pardon from the laws of physics, or is it a Nerf brand? :)

I believe that a 1911 would be just as easy (if not easier) to conceal. I need to get a better holster. Also, the added weight would concern me, for comfortable carry.

Make no mistake, I am switching my carry gun to 1911, it's just a matter of which gun?

Edited by drv2fst
Guest mac_05evo

I have been carrying my DW Vbob for the past couple of months everyday and love it. I was carrying a G30 before and the 1911 conceals much easier. It's been dead reliable since purchased and I shoot it more accurate than any handgun I own. The 4.25" barrel and bobtail make for a great carry gun.

Guest drv2fst

mac_05evo, I have heard many good things about the CBob and VBob. What were your reasons for choosing that particular brand?

Guest Plainsman

My current EDC is a Dan Wesson Cbob. Its proven itself to be a very accurate gun, and I've had zero reliability issues with it thus far with quality magazines. The feel of the bobtail is great in my hands and does an amazing job in helping to conceal. I personally think it looks great too. I considered a number of other higher-end guns before settling on the Cbob, but found the Cbob packed with quality ed brown parts and the fit and finish were exceptional. Slide to frame fit was great; no "slop" in this one. It has an outstanding trigger as well, as you'll find if you get the opportunity to handle one. It has received great reviews by its owners, which also helped in my decision making. In my opinion, I couldn't find a better feature-to-price gun. This is not to discount the other high-end 1911s out there, as one day, I will own a Hero 1911. I too like the fact of Hero being a TN based company, and my gun being built by the folks where I do business. It will be a true "custom" gun, unlike my DW.

SN852652.jpg

Edited by Plainsman
Guest Orionsic

Google.

Shoot 3" groups at 25 yards before you buy a custom fitted gun, otherwise your probably wasting your money.

But, if your really just searching for bragging rights, then fork out that cash..

I have been carrying my DW Vbob for the past couple of months everyday and love it. I was carrying a G30 before and the 1911 conceals much easier. It's been dead reliable since purchased and I shoot it more accurate than any handgun I own. The 4.25" barrel and bobtail make for a great carry gun.

DW fan here too. Commander Bobtail (CBOB), CCO (Officer), or the new VBOB are the way to go. My CBOB carries better than my G26. Have heard too many stories about unreliable 3" 1911's. For carry, I'd stick with .45 or 10mm.

Guest mac_05evo
mac_05evo, I have heard many good things about the CBob and VBob. What were your reasons for choosing that particular brand?
My current EDC is a Dan Wesson Cbob. Its proven itself to be a very accurate gun, and I've had zero reliability issues with it thus far with quality magazines. The feel of the bobtail is great in my hands and does an amazing job in helping to conceal. I personally think it looks great too. I considered a number of other higher-end guns before settling on the Cbob, but found the Cbob packed with quality ed brown parts and the fit and finish were exceptional. Slide to frame fit was great; no "slop" in this one. It has an outstanding trigger as well, as you'll find if you get the opportunity to handle one. It has received great reviews by its owners, which also helped in my decision making. In my opinion, I couldn't find a better feature-to-price gun. This is not to discount the other high-end 1911s out there, as one day, I will own a Hero 1911. I too like the fact of Hero being a TN based company, and my gun being built by the folks where I do business. It will be a true "custom" gun, unlike my DW.

Springfield pretty well summed it up. I looked at tons of different choices and handled as many as possible before finally deciding on the Vbob. I liked the fact that it was bobtailed, which both felt great in my hand and helped for CC. I liked the fact that DW's customers have really been praising them and they have a good warranty. The cost to features ratio was just to great to pass up so I had to have one. I got mine from Sporting Arms out of TX. You can google their name and find the website.

Guest m24driver

The best all aroud bang for the buck in my opinion is the Colt XSE Rail gun. Mine has a national match barrel and adjustable trigger Novak sights smith and alexander beavertail a picatinny rail on the dust cover stainless steel throughout with rosewood grips two 8 round mags and the COLT name/warranty. Mine is awesome and I gave $750-1500 less than a similar 1911 from the high-end guys. You'll get used to the the extra weight when you think about the punch of a full-sized 1911. Here's a link to one that is exactly like mine on gunbroker:

COLT XSE 1911 RAIL GUN .45ACP NO RESERVE 45 : Semi-auto at GunBroker.com

It's not mine and I'm in no way affialated with the seller I'm just a huge fan of my newest Colt!!!!!!!!!!!!!