Man ROBBED at local Gun Store

Buyers / Traders beware, I witnessed a gentleman getting ripped off today at The Reloader"s Bench in Mt. Juliet. This poor guy was unaware of the value of the 2 pistols he was trading in and was taken advantage of, he was already in the middle of the deal before I realized what was happening or I would have stepped in and spoke up. I was looking at buying a pistol myself but after seeing this I handed the pistol back and left.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was there also during this time. The (2) 38 specials model 65 he was trading plus 450.00 cash in for a .357 S&W (619.00 without tax or background). He basically got 80 to 90 bucks each for the gun trade. I was buying 5 bottles of solo 1000 plus a Glock 36 until I seen this. I believe in buying locally even for a little more which was relevant in this case however I walked out of the store. I can honestly say, I doubt I will be back in the store.

While I don't agree with what the store did, it is a business. They get more money selling used guns then they do from the new markups (mostly). I would say websites like this, which allows owners to sell their guns at actual used prices, really puts the hurt on the gun stores. I feel sorry for the guy with the two .38s...at least he is happy with his new gun.

The moral of the story is....don't trade in guns and expect any kind of deal. Those 65's will probably have a sticker put on them of at least $300-$350.

No different than trading in a car or anything else, but it is sickening when you see it in person.

I feel sorry for the guy with the two .38s...at least he is happy with his new gun.
The moral of the story is....don't trade in guns and expect any kind of deal.

This. While the Reloader's Bench isn't one of my favorite shops, they're in business to make money. At the end of the day, both the business and the customer were happy with the deal, otherwise they wouldn't have done it. If they're both good with it, it's none of my business.

The customer could've sold his guns here, at a gun show, on GOC, or even in the newspaper. For whatever reason, he decided to trade them in at the shop. As a result, he got significantly less for them. That is assuming, of course, that both his weapons worked properly. Maybe they had some sort of problem that he and the shop had discussed before you noticed the conversation, leading to the low values? I don't think we have enough information to really condemn the Reloader's Bench. Now, if y'all can verify by something someone involved with the deal said that he traded two 100% guns, then that may put a different light on things.

Could the store have offered more? Sure, but the guy could've done some research to see what his guns were worth before going in, too. I remember when the Reloader's Bench was charging $40.00 per 1000 for primers, and I could get them for $29.00 per 1000 at Champion's Choice. That seems to be just the type of place they are, and as a result I don't go there if I can avoid it.

Edited by 56FordGuy
While I don't agree with what the store did, it is a business.

Yes. And being fair to customers is one way of remaining in business. Obviously the customer who traded the guns doesn't know what they're worth. Should he learn more about guns and want to buy more of them, he'll likely learn what his guns were worth and go elsewhere to buy next time.

I would say websites like this, which allows owners to sell their guns at actual used prices, really puts the hurt on the gun stores.

Well, if more gun stores would be fair, more people would be likely to try and trade their old guns in on new ones. I understand that it's a business and they have to make money. However, giving someone $80 for a $500 gun is not right.

I offered an H&K USP 45 to the guys at Guns & Ammo on Summer Ave a few years ago. I expected to get an offer for a good bit less than they'd sell it for. They offered me $100. Wanna guess how many of the last 25 guns I bought were purchased there? One. Unless I just absolutely cannot find a gun anywhere else, I don't step foot in there. Whether it's buying from a customer, selling to a customer, or standing behind your product, ripping customers off will cost you business.

Guest Boogieman

Yes, they screwed this gentleman but it was partially his own fault as well. I would never sell/trade something without knowing its general worth beforehand. Consumers do have a responsibility as well. That said, I am glad this shop is far away and I live close to an awesome place like Tri-Cities Gun-Depot.

I will give you $150. ;)

Haha. No, sold that one shortly thereafter for $725. She was a nice one. I was expecting an offer around $500 to $550. I was there wanting to buy a different gun. They could have sold mine for about $150 to $200 profit and made the money off the gun I was there wanting to buy. Instead, they lost out on both deals because they're just plain greedy. So eff 'em. I take my business elsewhere 98% of the time. The guys at Classic Arms, Arms Fair, Range USA, etc love having my business.

Just sounds like the car business, to me.

Magic has been quiet on this one... :)

Guest Straight Shooter

IF the guy was " not into" guns, or suddenly needed emergency cash, and never heard of this site, or been to a gunshow, I can see him not knowing what he had. But the shop SHAFTED that guy, they knew it, he didnt. If he is "happy" about the deal, it is only because of ignorence. Thats just BAD buisiness IMO, and I WONT be going in there.

It is like watching Pawn Stars, People go in not knowing what they have, wanting like 500 dollars, then finding out top dollar might be 4000 in an auction, and get oftered 2k for it and be upset.

People really need to know what they are selling before they walk in to make a deal.

Right now, I am working a deal with Austin's I have a pretty good idea what price to expect and he is in the range I expect. He is following up on some options for me and I expect Mike and I will have a deal made on my first purchase this week, depending on order time.

Guest Boogieman
Consumers have a responsibility to trust who they are doing business with.

That being said, I usually do not spend a cent without doing my homework.

That is sorta where I was going with the consumer responsibility comment. The guy who was "robbed" probably should have checked around before committing to a deal. I does not sound like he did any homework, that or the dog ate it....

I ordered a complete DPMS AR lower with T6 Stock a few years ago from the Reloaders Bench It took weeks for it to come in. I got a call and they tried to sell(Pass Off) a "CAST" DMPS lower assembly as new. A few months later I wanted a DPMS LR 308 AP4. I was told it could not be had and a year wait. I got one seven days later for 800.00 less. I had purchased a few guns here when I first moved to the area. All of these bad dealings was with a guy named Jim. The last couple of time I went in to buy reloading components he has not been there. The really young blond headed guy that works there is a good guy.

It is a business, but if you want repeat business you have to do people right. If it wasn't for reloading I wouldn't waste my time at the Bench.

Edited by R1100R

Well, I have done quite a bit of buisness with the Reloaders Bench. Buying/trading guns and reloading components. I have been treated well. There gun prices are a little high but they have a good bit of knowladge and are always very helpfull. And as one other poster said. We do not know the condition of the guns traded. Probably not a good idea to slam a shop on a deal you did not make.

Guest GLOCKGUY

I remember when legends was open in Athens. I bought a new Glock 36 there, shot it about 20 times and realized it wasn't for me. I took it back to legends the next day they wanted to give me $200.00 trading for it after I just paid over $500.00 for it. Your best bet is to sell your guns out right and never take it to a gun shop or a pawnshop, all you will do is get your feelings hurt if you take your gun to one of those places...

While I didn't make the deal, I stood right beside the guy trading the pistols and watched the counter guy check each one and function test it, Both pistols were clean and well taken care of. They took advantage of a guy who hadn't educated him self on the value of the pistols, and while a business is there to make a profit, straight up ripping people off is unacceptable and while I couldn't help this guy I wanted to make sure that I let everyone that is willing to read this post know about it. I have purchased a lot of reloading compontants and firearms from them, but that is now in the past.

Guest Keinengel

I've seen things like this happen many times in the past at pawn shops and gun shops aren't any better about it quite frankly. I saw a poor family come into a pawn shop and sell almost 400 dollars worth of ammunition for 35$. It was high quality stuff in and the boxes had never been opened. I was hanging around waiting on a background check and i saw the shop owner putting labels on them. He priced them around 4-5 dollars over market price each box.

Kemp,

I stepped in there and bought primers for my first batch of reloads a couple of years ago, before the run on primers. I haven't been back since, it's cheaper to pay hazmat and shipping than buying from them.