Best Place To Shoot In Chattanooga

Guest DRO

Prentice Cooper WMA range is free.

'Bout 10 miles from center of town.

basic directions:

From Chattanooga, take Hwy 27 to Signal Mountain exit. Turn right onto Signal Mountain Rd. Turn left onto Hwy 27 (Suck Creek Rd.) Do not go up the mountain on Hwy 127. Continue on Hwy 27 for approximately 8 miles (into Marion County). Watch for sign of your left that says Prentice Cooper Wildlife Management Area. Turn left at that sign.

suck creek road, marion county, tn - Google Maps

• Like 1

Oustide of Prentice Cooper, we have four additional ranges in Chattanooga. First is Chattanooga Rifle Club. I don't believe you can shoot there unless you are accompanied by a member. Second is Sportsman Supply in Hixson. It is a private indoor range, and you won't be able to shoot there unless you are accompanied by a guest. Third is Shooter's Depot. I am not sure what their rules are in regards to nonmembers. I think they might let you shoot, but they are expensive to nonmembers. Lastly is Carter's Shooting Supply on 58 Hwy. It is a 23 yard indoor range, and I believe Carter's will let you shoot there without being a member. However, I think you will have to buy your target and ammo from him. If you think about going to Carter's, you might want to call ahead of time and see if they are having a HCP class. In a nutshell, your best bet for very cheap shooting is Prentice Cooper.

• Like 1
Guest cheez

Shooter's Depot is hands down the best indoor range for handguns in Chattanooga. Non members shoot for $20 per hour and you can use your own ammo. Well built well ventilated range. Cannot say that about the other indoor ranges in town. Prentiss Cooper is about your only place to shoot a rifle without joining a club or accompanying a member. It is free but you might be shooting with some folks that like to drink. It is illegal to consume alcohol there but people do it anyway.

It is free but you might be shooting with some folks that like to drink. It is illegal to consume alcohol there but people do it anyway.

Dranking on that range? You 'Noogans are nuts. Thanks for the info, for sure, though.

Guest Lester Weevils

I've not observed obvious alcohol consumption when I've been to PC, which is at least once a month.

Maybe it is different later on a Saturday afternoon. Dunno.

I usually try to go when it isn't likely to be real crowded. Lately Friday afternoons or fairly early on Saturdays. Seems to get more crowded later in the day on weekends, but maybe that is just the particular days I've been there.

Maybe been lucky or too unobersvant, but not a lot of the folks are complete idiots when I've been there. Generally nice folks.

Prentice Cooper is a good range. That's where my son is shooting in my avatar.

That being said, get there early, before the unwashed masses arrive. I've had people shoot while I was still downrange on multiple occassions, and been muzzle swept countless times. I refuse to shoot there anymore if other people are there. Most people there are good folks, but there's always one . . . .

Edited by Good_Steward

The lack of available ranges in the area is exactly why I joined a club here in Cleveland .

I got tired of driving out to Benton to the range in the Cherokee national forest I want to say its on spring creek rd over off 411 on the north side of Benton, TN I had a couple of bad experiences there but over all it was pretty nice place to shoot. But a long way out and as much as I shoot the gas I have saved going back and forth has more than paid for my membership to the club.

Edited by Mad_Squirrell
Guest Lester Weevils

There seems to be a pretty good selection of places to shoot really, guess it is all relative. I don't like driving at all, which narrows my choices out of not wanting to drive a long ways (a long ways being also relative).

PC is about 15-20 minutes away and the traffic usually isn't bad. I don't mind shooting at Sportsmans Supply, except prefer shooting outdoors, though it is only about 20-25 minutes to Sportsmans Supply (thru heavier traffic).

I'd have joined Chattanooga Rifle Club years ago if it wasn't way on the other side of town. Even if I joined, would rarely get it up to drive that far just to shoot.

Shooters Depot is maybe a half hour away thru pretty bad traffic. The other ranges are longer drives than that. If I ever have a really bad experience at PC maybe will be willing to drive further. Maybe someday move out in the country and have a private range.

Shooters Depot is great, Carters is good, Sportsman supply on Hixson pike is'nt worth the trip. The owner is a jerk. God forbid if you use your debit card to pay for your range time. You get part one of the lecture series entitled "The debit card companies are screwing you".

Shooters Depot is great, Carters is good, Sportsman supply on Hixson pike is'nt worth the trip. The owner is a jerk. God forbid if you use your debit card to pay for your range time. You get part one of the lecture series entitled "The debit card companies are screwing you".

hehe, I see you got the Carl "5% upcharge" lecture. Carters, not so good. range ventilation is an open door. I blow black boogers for 2 days after shooting there.

Guest Lester Weevils

Different strokes... Carl's OK. I like grumpy old guys. Say it loud, I'm a curmudgeon and proud! :(

I just try to remember to take a checkbook or cash, and pay 5% if I forget. Carl takes a check no problemo if you've paid him a few times and never bounced a check.

It really is true you know. The debit card companies really ARE screwing us!

Dranking on that range? You 'Noogans are nuts. Thanks for the info, for sure, though.

This is not a 'nooga only phenomenon. I have seen it on several public ranges in Georgia and Tennessee. Couple that with amigos walking downrange while you are shooting or shooting while you are downrange and I want no part of a public unsupervised range.

This is not a 'nooga only phenomenon. I have seen it on several public ranges in Georgia and Tennessee. Couple that with amigos walking downrange while you are shooting or shooting while you are downrange and I want no part of a public unsupervised range.

I just run erratic zigzag pattern to and from targets.

Helps keep me in shape and makes for an exciting experience.

- OS

• Like 1

coming from knoxville? forget chattanoga- get off exit 36 - charleston and go to fugates firearms behind the bowater paper plant. $5 for 30 minutes or $7.50 for 1 hour. B-22 silhoute targets are only 40 cents each - 6 lanes, great ventilation and carmen and doug are super awesome. they are only open a few days a week during the summer though... call ahead. definately the best deal in the "area" its 40 minutes 1 way for me to go there so i don't go often.

• Like 1
Guest XD9GUY

Prentice Cooper is the best place for the casual shooter in Chatt. I have been there many times on Mondays and Fridays and have never had a problem with anyone being a jerk. Have never seen anyone drinking either. On the contrary, every time I've been there everyone has been very courteous and friendly.

It is exactly 13 miles from downtown and is not hard to get there.

4 miles from downtown to the Suck Creek turn off, then 9 miles to the range

For those who don't know, the range is closed on Tues and Wed.

Guest Lester Weevils

I was at PC pretty late last Saturday afternoon and it was nearly deserted, though usually late afternoon weekend days it tends to get crowded. Maybe it was too hot for most folk.

• 5 years later...

Hey Guys, Really need some help finding a place to shoot...I cannot put into words how frustating it is to see how different it is compared to when i was a kid shooting with my Dad....Living in Chattanooga I have not found alot of places I can go..prentice cooper and benton I have gone some but the drive time just to find out it is to crowded and prentice alot of times will be closed when i get there....I would love to join a club but understandably they are picky who they take or have no room to accept new members....I work about 60 hrs a week and only get sundays or one sat a month free to shoot....please let me know if I have overlooked somewhere to go that is practical with good folks....Thanks guys...great website yall have here...

The two I use are shooter's depo & the Cleveland hunting/manywords range.   The Cleveland one is cheap, but a bit of a drive, need to be a member but not too hard to do that if you reach out.  Its a nice place with a skeet house and some decent long ranges (200 yards).  The depo is close, reasonably priced if you go once a week or so,  and a good facility.    The depo has an extended hours option for a little more / year.

P-cooper is a good facility when people are on their good behavior.   Its had ups and downs with some rather unsavory folks over the last 20 years...  people shooting when others are downrange,  shooting from their cars,  the usual moron stuff.    Pretty easy there, go, and if you find the people there acting stupid, leave and try another day.    Its free, and you get what you pay for.

I didn't like the other two.   The a-frame place, guy tried to sell us something every time we walked in the door and seem mighty put out if we didn't buy his over priced stuff.   If he had been a little less gooberish, I would have spent some in the shop, but when the pressure comes on, the wallet gets shut.      And the other one, as said,  has no air supply, though its a nice store.  

Edited by Jonnin

I took my HCP class a Shooters Depot.  The range was nice and modern but is handgun only.  The people were pretty nice and it was a nice place.  However it is pretty pricey to shoot there.  According to there website it is $25 for 30 min at the range.  I shoot before I took the class and they didn't charge me that much so it might be cheaper at slower times.

Carters is a about twice the size of shooters depot but the building is clearly older and it was a little strange you have to walk outside to get to the range from the show room.  The people were nice and the range supports riffles as well as handguns although when I was up there last week they had a notice nothing above .223 until they complete their maintenance I have no idea how long that will take.  You must be a member to shot at Carters the membership cost $20 per year and $10 to shot.  Carters has a group-on deal running where you get the membership and 1 visit for $15.

I haven't been to any other ranges in the area yet.  I plan to hit the range in Cleveland soon

Thanks

Robert

Prentice Cooper range has changed a lot.  Here is the new info:

Shooting Range

Hours of operation: Thursday, Friday, Saturday from sunrise to sunset. Closed during managed hunts.

Permit required. The Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency now requires a permit to use their shooting ranges. Permits may be purchased at:

• TWRA License Agents: TWRA Regional Offices, local stores, sporting goods stores and other merchants.
  • By Phone: 1-888-814-8972. Have a pen/pencil and paper ready to copy confirmation number. There will be a processing fee.

- See more at: https://www.tn.gov/agriculture/article/ag-forests-sf-prentice-cooper#sthash.kbKuL6gG.dpuf