Ruger SP101 Review

Guest dmayes2

Guest dmayes2

I just bought a Ruger sp101 .357Mag pistol at the gun show in Kingsport, TN. It was $420 NIB before taxes. Not a bad price from what I've saw used sp101's go for. This is my first Ruger firearm and I'm very impressed with the solid frame of the sp101. It doesn’t have any removable sidewalls which allows it to handle the hottest loads. The cylinder is tight with very little play. The hammer on the other hand is a bit stiff, but I’m sure it will loosen up after it’s had 100 rounds or so. Nothing worth complaining about, but it’s noticeably stiffer than most pistols in this size category. Though the hammer is a bit stiff, the double action of this gun is surprisingly smooth with little effort to pull off a shot without first cocking the hammer. I wasn’t all that impressed with the factory grips until I saw the variety of wood inserts at different locations online. To me there’s nothing better than being able to customize your gun. I have also looked at the Hogue grips as well. I really liked how easy it is to conceal the sp101 with factory grips but didn’t know how it would feel shooting .357 Mag's through it. Even with the small factory grips the pistol still fit comfortably in a med-large hand. I’ve read a lot of opinions on the SP101 and they all seem to point to the factory grips as its only weakness. As much as I like the wood inserts for the factory grips I will likely go with the Hogue grips. It should reduce the kick somewhat and provide a place for that dangling pinky finger to rest. Concealing the slightly lager grip shouldn’t be a problem with the right holster. Loaded the gun only weighs in at 28 ounces. A bit heavier than a lot of the Aluminum pistols, but If I carry I like to know it’s there.

I got a chance to find out for myself this evening if all the hype is true. After shooting the first 5 shots I realized the .357 had some serious kick to it, but nothing that couldn’t be managed. I shot all 5 shots within a 3X5 area at 25 yards so the accuracy of this pistol is impressive seeing as it only has a 2.25 in barrel. The shortest barreled pistol I’ve ever shot up to this point is a 5" .45 1911 colt. A set of Hogue grips should take care of the extra kick. I will be interested in seeing if the new grips help tighten up my grouping. The only other change I would like to make to my sp101 would be the front sight. I have found a few options to choose from but am likely leaning towards a meprolight Tru dot sight that runs about $45. It looks fairly easy to install and should give a better targeting system. Is probably pointless to put tru-dot sights on a barrel less than 4â€, buts it’s all about customizing my sp101.

I have definitely fallen in love with this gun. While a few changes need to be made to suit my preference, I would definitely recommend this to anyone who is looking for a smaller framed revolver but still wants something that gets the job done and won’t break the bank. If you don’t like a lot of power, I would still recommend this in .38spl (which can also be shot out of the .357mag model sp101) I appreciate all those who have posted their opinion on the sp101 in the forum. You’re information has helped me in my decision to purchase my first ruger. Everything I have read thus far has been accurate and informative. I’m definitely a Ruger fan for life. Thanks

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest eyescream

Nice. I carry my SP101 about as much as I carry anything, especially on days I feel lazy. I just throw it in a pocket in a DeSantis Nemesis with a speed loader in a weak-side pocket.

Guest eyescream

You should try the Trausch trips. Completely different experience. I bought them on advice from a member on another forum and shortly after trying them I decided they were never coming off.

Guest dmayes2

You may be right about the factory grips not being a problem for the .357 loads. I have only shot the gun 10 times now. Which is not enough to time to really decide on changing grips. The factory grip wasnt bad for me, it just wasnt that good. This is the first pistol Ive owned with a grip that I couldnt get all my fingers around. Ive been spoiled with the size of the grip of my 1911. That and the .45 uses alot of its kick to work the slide taking alot of the recoil out of the shot. A revolver obviously sends all of the kick to the shooter. I think I will go with your idea first. I'll shot atleast 50 shots through it and see if I get use to it. As I said before I really like the concealability of the factory grips and the custom inserts for the sp101. Thanks for youre input.

Guest dmayes2

I just checked out the Trausch website. They seem to be a nice alternative grip to the hogue. If I choose to switch from factory I will definetly consider these grips. Thanks for the tip

I carry my SP101 the most during the summer because I don't wear an under shirt for sweat protection of the pistol. My SP is the 2 1/8" , anti grab hammerless model that I carry in a High Noon Under Cover tuckable IWB holster in the appendix carry position. I used Bright Sights Hi Viv green paint for the rear trench sight and Hi Viz orange paint for the front sight. I even carry this setup while mowing my yard. It does sting my hand with the Double Tap 125 mag round that I carry, but at 5 to 10 yards on targets, it is very effective for me. Great gun.

The factory grips were not selected for target shooting. They were selected for functionality. A big bulcky grip feels nice in the hand but when seconds count, you want a smaller grip that you can grab without thinking. The SP101 grip was selected for that purpose. I truely think that the SP-101 grip will serve you well when seconds count. Ruger has been making pistols for a long time.

Guest BEARMAN

Well, here's mine with Hogue Cocobolo grips...compared in size to my Smith & Wesson model 66-3, it's smaller and more concealable...so, it gets the nod.

IMG_0932.jpg

Guest ForPointSix

I hate all of you!!! I just talked the wife into me buying a CZ 75 P-01 for CC. And now I have to convince her we need the SP 101 revolver as a CC backup...

Yup,well made pistol for sure.Its what I am carrying daily.I like it so much I quit carrying the semi-autos.

IMG_1304.jpg

Mine with the Hogue Monogrip,really fits nice.

That's the grip I have on mine, a little bigger than factory but still no problem to conceal, definatly noticable in absorbing recoil better. I've been threatening to replace the factory hammer spring with a lighter one for an easier pull, the factory pull is pretty strong, I guess for liability. One thing about the SP 101, although it has a kick shooting full house .357s, you'll never wear it out. It's the absolute toughest/strongest snubbie on the market.

That's the grip I have on mine, a little bigger than factory but still no problem to conceal, definatly noticable in absorbing recoil better. I've been threatening to replace the factory hammer spring with a lighter one for an easier pull, the factory pull is pretty strong, I guess for liability. One thing about the SP 101, although it has a kick shooting full house .357s, you'll never wear it out. It's the absolute toughest/strongest snubbie on the market.

Yeh,a person can tell I dont really care for the Hogues.

IMG_1310.jpg

Of coarse thats a joke

Guest BEARMAN
Nice pair Bearman. How do the triggers compare?

The trigger on the Smith & Wesson is very light, and smooth as silk in DA...I bought it used, and it has had a trigger job at some point.

The Ruger is not quite as smooth...especially in the DA mode...however, it is fine for a self defense revolver.

The trigger on the Smith & Wesson is very light, and smooth as silk in DA...I bought it used, and it has had a trigger job at some point.

The Ruger is not quite as smooth...especially in the DA mode...however, it is fine for a self defense revolver.

Thanks Bearman. Kinda what I figured you'd say. I'm still liking the SP101 though.