Ruger SP101 Review

Guest dmayes2

Guest dmayes2

I would have posted pictures of my sp101, but youve seen one stock sp youve seen them all. But in the spirit everyone else posting, I may have to upload a few.

Heres a question for the sp fans. I was bragging about my recent purchase to a buddy and he told me he had an sp101 in 9mm. He told me he would sell it to me, just make an offer. I know they didnt make many of them but im not sure on what a 9mm would be worth. According to him it has only had about 50 rounds through it, and hasnt shot it in over 6 years. What do you all think a 9mm would be worth. Id like to make an offer on it. If I decide against it and anyone is interested I will send it your way.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...he had an sp101 in 9mm. He told me he would sell it to me, just make an offer. I know they didnt make many of them but im not sure on what a 9mm would be worth. ...

The people that want them really want them.

Two recent completed auctions on GunBroker for $642 and $705

How good a buddy is he?

Btw, it uses moon clips. Doesn't headspace on neck AFAIK. A plus for some a minus for others. Your call.

- OS

Guest dmayes2

He's a trustworthy guy. Besides, I should be able to tell if its only had 50 or so rounds through it. If the cylinder has a lot of play, the hammer pull is weak, or the firing pin looks rounded on the edges it should be a good indicator that the gun has had more than what he claims. If I can pick it up for under $400 it should be worth it for trading purposes down the road.

He's a trustworthy guy. Besides, I should be able to tell if its only had 50 or so rounds through it. If the cylinder has a lot of play, the hammer pull is weak, or the firing pin looks rounded on the edges it should be a good indicator that the gun has had more than what he claims. If I can pick it up for under $400 it should be worth it for trading purposes down the road.

I meant by "how good a buddy", how much are you willing to rip him off for?

Sounds like he's sort of a buddy.

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe

Does anyone know of anyone here in TN that could do a nice trigger job on mine? I am not a wheel gun guy and currently have mine in a Pawn status so that I could pick up another (had to have) tool and I wont be getting it back for a month or two as things look now.

I have not fired it much but really do not like the trigger, once I have it back and can become somewhat proficient with it I will put some fancy wood grips on it as I really love the wood and stainless look. Right now it is wearing the Houge grips until I can get more use to it. Several of you guys suggested those and they did make a difference for me but I still want some pretty wood for it.

Since it was a gift from the family of a friend who was a Vietnam Veteran after his passing I will be keeping it forever and trying to become very good at using it, It will never be my EDC but rather a 2nd BUG or desk/nightstand gun. That and range fun. But the first thing I have to do is to lighten up that DA trigger. I guess I am just spoiled with DA/SA and SA only pistols. Mine is the "hammerless" version and I dont even have the option to cock it into SA.

I do have plenty time to deal with it but really want to do something about the trigger as soon as I can get it back. I want to get the best trigger work possible and then while still using the houge grips become proficient with it before adding the harder wood grips.

Any advice?..... I would prefer to use one of our vendors here if possible.

When the time comes the cost for a good trigger job will not be an issue for this great and humbling gift.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I wouldnt mind having a 9m revolver "just cuz" but the prices quoted by Shoot are too much for me for a "just cuz" gun. If you can get it I do think you could make a buck off of it and if kept awhile even more. But it does sound to me that you need to steer your friend to Gun Broker for an idea.

Guest eyescream
Does anyone know of anyone here in TN that could do a nice trigger job on mine? I am not a wheel gun guy and currently have mine in a Pawn status so that I could pick up another (had to have) tool and I wont be getting it back for a month or two as things look now.

I have not fired it much but really do not like the trigger, once I have it back and can become somewhat proficient with it I will put some fancy wood grips on it as I really love the wood and stainless look. Right now it is wearing the Houge grips until I can get more use to it. Several of you guys suggested those and they did make a difference for me but I still want some pretty wood for it.

Since it was a gift from the family of a friend who was a Vietnam Veteran after his passing I will be keeping it forever and trying to become very good at using it, It will never be my EDC but rather a 2nd BUG or desk/nightstand gun. That and range fun. But the first thing I have to do is to lighten up that DA trigger. I guess I am just spoiled with DA/SA and SA only pistols. Mine is the "hammerless" version and I dont even have the option to cock it into SA.

I do have plenty time to deal with it but really want to do something about the trigger as soon as I can get it back. I want to get the best trigger work possible and then while still using the houge grips become proficient with it before adding the harder wood grips.

Any advice?..... I would prefer to use one of our vendors here if possible.

When the time comes the cost for a good trigger job will not be an issue for this great and humbling gift.

Well, what don't you like about the trigger? I did a very mild trigger job on mine myself that basically consisted of dry-firing the crap out of it to wear the parts smooth against each other, and putting a 10lb mainspring in it. There are some things that are inherent to the design of the lockwork that Ruger uses (such as the three very distinct sections of the trigger pull – you can hear the clicks) that you're gonna have a really hard time changing.

Guest dmayes2

I was asked about pictures, so here are a few. Its just your standard SP...for now anyway. My .45 was getting jealous of the SP's publicity so I threw in a pic of it aswell.

ruger4.jpg

rugersp1011.jpg

sp1012.jpg

I wouldnt mind having a 9m revolver "just cuz" but the prices quoted by Shoot are too much for me for a "just cuz" gun. ...

Well, I got one just sorta "cause", but it was because I've always wanted a "cowboy" gun. But I also wanted to match caliber with my Marlin .357 1894.

So I got the Blackhawk .357 with additional 9mm cylinder. 9mm through this baby feels about like .22 mag. :sick:

Headspaces on shell neck, no moon clips, which I like.

blackhawk.jpg

Well, what don't you like about the trigger? I did a very mild trigger job on mine myself that basically consisted of dry-firing the crap out of it to wear the parts smooth against each other, and putting a 10lb mainspring in it. There are some things that are inherent to the design of the lockwork that Ruger uses (such as the three very distinct sections of the trigger pull – you can hear the clicks) that you're gonna have a really hard time changing.

Yeah, mine has gotten smoother, not really lighter, and I have the DAO model too.

You shoot it a while, you learn to sort of "two stage" it. You get where you can bring it back to the release point - you feel the cylinder lock into battery, then one last little squeeze to release.

And it's not gonna be a 1911 release, and maybe not even quite a SP101 single action release, but it's not bad.

All that being said, I sort of wish I had gotten the hammer version. I really thought I was gonna EDC the Ruger, and got the DAO for the possibly better no snag advantage and so forth.

And I would be carrying it, but just found I was more comfy with more rounds.

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe

Well thanks guys, I guess I will just dry fire the fire outa mine when I get it back and send some more rounds through it, it still has a very low round count. I also wish I had the hammered version too, but being a gift what is a guy to say except thank you and be humbled?

I thought though that I read somewhere that there was something that could be done to lighten the pull up some on them and make them more consistent. It may have been the Ruger forum so I will check there also.

I was even with the few rounds that I have fired able to find the sweet spot just before it breaks but it did not seem consistent and it sure is a loooog pull to get there. Again more rounds and lots of dry firing would probably would help some.

Now that BlackHawk does look sharp:) and may well cost me some money in the future......just cuz ya know?:D

But isnt a person supposed to have TWO cowboy guns? Or have I just mis-understood the rules?;) And I do bet that 9's are a joy to shoot from a tool like that:cool:

I guess I will go check Rugers site and see if they still have them and how much Oh Shoot just cost me. I am sure my Govt. Bailout check must at least be in the mail by now.;)

Guest eyescream
Well thanks guys, I guess I will just dry fire the fire outa mine when I get it back and send some more rounds through it, it still has a very low round count. I also wish I had the hammered version too, but being a gift what is a guy to say except thank you and be humbled?

I thought though that I read somewhere that there was something that could be done to lighten the pull up some on them and make them more consistent. It may have been the Ruger forum so I will check there also.

I was even with the few rounds that I have fired able to find the sweet spot just before it breaks but it did not seem consistent and it sure is a loooog pull to get there. Again more rounds and lots of dry firing would probably would help some.

Now that BlackHawk does look sharp:) and may well cost me some money in the future......just cuz ya know?;)

But isnt a person supposed to have TWO cowboy guns? Or have I just mis-understood the rules?:D And I do bet that 9's are a joy to shoot from a tool like that:cool:

I guess I will go check Rugers site and see if they still have them and how much Oh Shoot just cost me. I am sure my Govt. Bailout check must at least be in the mail by now.:D

I think you'll be surprised at how much of a difference just dry-firing the living crap out of the gun will make, as far as smoothing it out to the point that it can be smoothed out without taking it down to the component parts and stoning and sanding it.

If you want to get a lighter mainspring and install that it's really easy (and it makes a pretty big difference as far as the trigger pull goes). If you get stuck let me know, I'd be happy to help you get un-stuck.

Guest eyescream
I run those forums and have some insight on the SP...PM me your email address and I will forward you a very helpful bit of info.

If you're gonna send him what I think you're gonna send him, I suspect that'll be quite helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest dmayes2

Just got my grip inserts in the mail from magnum 41. Very high quality wood and craftsmanship. they really make the gun pop. I bought a sp101 9mm with 3" barrel about a week ago; I will be ordering another set of inserts in the near future. Pictures to come soon.

Guest kirkosaurus

I got the Trausch grip after eyescream's recommendation and I love it. Unfortunately the strap on my custom made leather OWB holster will not snap over the grip. :)

I put my old wooden grip back on.

Shot several rounds in my SP101 this evening. I love this gun.

Guest eyescream
eyescream, are those the Trausch grips in the pic?

Sorry, I just saw this. Yeah, that's them.

I got the Trausch grip after eyescream's recommendation and I love it. Unfortunately the strap on my custom made leather OWB holster will not snap over the grip. :(

I put my old wooden grip back on.

Shot several rounds in my SP101 this evening. I love this gun.

I just carry mine in a Desantis Nemesis. :hiding:

• 4 weeks later...
And so the addiction begins....

You dont know the half of it. I just recently purchased the sp 9mm with a 3" barrel. Ive only got 3 moon clips for it, though. I will be searching around for a few more and maybe an orignal box to go along with it. Dont know if its for me, just yet. But it was one of those, ive got money burning a hole in my pocket, id better spend it before my wife does.

sp101.jpg

If you want to do a trigger job on a Ruger DA revolver I suggest you get a copy of "Iowegan's Book of Knowledge for the Ruger GP100." Go to Ruger Forums or contact me I have the pdf file somewhere. However, dry firing does work. In GP and SP series I also found that dental picks needle files and some 6-800 grit sandpaper can work wonders. In the later Rugers I found that there is "casting slag" left in some places that the needle file and picks can remove. In some of the slots and on some non-critical edges there may be "burrs." I would call removing these burrs and pieces of slag a "fluff and buff." Do that, thoroughly clean and lube with good lube. I don't recommend "respringing" a Da Ruger. I prefer DAO in revolvers so if someone has a spurless hammer they would like to trade me for my "spurred" hammer let me know.

Craig in Clarksville, TN