Looking to Purchase my First Long Gun

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hello guys.

The same thing as my "Handgun" thread. I'm looking for a good rifle to start out with, honestly, I just want something I can put a nice scope on and shoot paper from way out and have fun with. I'm not looking to spend over 500 bucks on one, what do you think? What would be good to start out with?

Also, something that won't break the bank with shooting it once a week. Thanks, guys.

Thanks for the info.

Drew.

Edited by Glock23ForMe
  • Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

FWIW....I handled S&W's .22 yesterday, the one that looks like an AR. I was really shocked at how light the thing was. My knowledge of long guns stops with the M-16 but the one I handled was in your price range and looked like it would be a blast to play with.

Maybe a .223 /5.56 n bolt action or a Remington pump if you are familiar with pump actions. It is personal preference but I prefer a pump over a bolt as they shoot better than I can. The real paper punchers swear by the bolt action and at 35 to 45 cents a round for long distance shooting, over 100 yards, this may be the cheapest. For inside 100 then something in a 22 as a 10-22 is in that range along with a group of bolt action long guns. Ithink if you stay under the top dollar models most all 22s are in your price range.

57449_sm.jpg

Stevens 4 + 1 223 Rem. w/Scope/Gray Synthetic Stock

Just an entry level to get you hooked and make you want more.

Then you want to step up to a 308 or even a .556 in semi auto such as an EBR. :tinfoil:

Guest Glock23ForMe

Honestly, I was looking really hard into a Savage Stevens .223 like the one you have in the post above. I have a little .22 already and barely shoot it now. I liked the Stevens big time, and I found some ammo on ammotogo for 130 bucks for about 500 rounds. Do you guys like the Stevens?

Honestly, the reason I want one is because when me and my buddies shoot we spend all day shooting and 1/2 the day is between 10 and 50 yards and the other half is 100-150 yards. And I don't want to sit and watch anymore. They let me shoot, but I want to have a gun to play with from out there.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Thompson Center Venture, if the still have the rebate you can pick one up for about 350.00. They are guaranteed to have MOA of 1in. I had one and it was impressive for the price.

One? Stevens?

And I'm new to Rifles: What is MOA? I know, minute of angle, but WTF?

I called a buddy today and he said 330 out the door for a Stevens .223 Short Action, no scope.

I am not a Bolt fan but think for the price you have something to shoot rather than putting out over twice that for a new AR or maybe 5 something for a Mini 14. You might check your dealer to see if a good used semi 223 is available. I think the semi is a bit more "fun"

The "semi" is a bit more fun to begin with. Then you realize it is more expensive & all you do is pull the trigger.

The "bolt action" is more fun in the long run. You get to be more accurate by making the shot count.

I have acually started using my bolt guns as single shots.

MOA stands for Minitue of angle = 1" at 100yrds.

I think you'd be hard pressed to beat a Savage or Howa bolt in .223. the ammo's reasonably priced for center fire ammo. and it's reloadable. A used gun in either should leave some bucks for ammo too. Either one is very accurate for longer distances. To get longer distances than these two, you'll have to get into more expensive ammo. There's plenty of these around too... in pawn shops, at gun shows, and online auctions, or GOC. Good luck.

Honestly, I was looking really hard into a Savage Stevens .223 like the one you have in the post above. I have a little .22 already and barely shoot it now. I liked the Stevens big time, and I found some ammo on ammotogo for 130 bucks for about 500 rounds. Do you guys like the Stevens?

Honestly, the reason I want one is because when me and my buddies shoot we spend all day shooting and 1/2 the day is between 10 and 50 yards and the other half is 100-150 yards. And I don't want to sit and watch anymore. They let me shoot, but I want to have a gun to play with from out there.

I bought one of these last year, it is a few accurate rifle. If you look around a little you might find a used one for a little less.

+1 for a Savage....best bang for your buck....They have an "edge" rifle out right now that's very inexpensive. You could probably get into one with some decent glass for the $500 you're looking to spend. Gun's and Ammo had an article on the edge rifles in last month's issue. You might be able to read it online.

I've owned two Savage bolt action .308's and they have preformed great. Both put back to back shots through the same hole at 100 yards on numerous occassions. I've heard the .223's are even more consistent, probably because of the lighter recoil. If you get into re-loading, you can load some heavy grain 69-77 gr ammo that is capable at 500+ yards. It's hard to load the heavy ammo properly in an AR platform due to magazine length, however you can do so in a bolt action by hand loading.

I think a bolt rifle .223 is a great place to start. I love the .308 caliber, however I am not oppossed to owning a .223 bolt now that I have gotten more into re-loading. It's cheaper than .308...lol

The next step up would be a .308 rifle. You will want to spend at least 500-600 on a .308 rifle to get a Remington 700 or Savage Precision Carbine. BTW Savage makes the Precision Carbine in .223 as well. It has the accustock, accutrigger, and a 20" barrel, all wrapped in a digital camo stock. Pretty cool rifle!

Edited by Kenstaroni
Mike357:

To be a real man he needs a 300 Win Mag or a 50 BMG. None of that sissy 30-06 for macho men! :grouchy:

I shot Mike's Garand and it's very soft on your shoulder for a 30-06. If someone started me out with a 300 win mag, I probably wouldn't own any rifles now....lol A 300 win mag will get your attention in a hurry...I think it's cool in all to be big and macho and say that you shoot a 300 win mag, however it's just not fun for me.

I do not shoot the 300! I was just replying to Mike357! I agree that one should work their way up in caliber and find the easiest to shoot in the 100 to 200 yard range the 5.7 PS90. It is just not a cheap gun to buy or shoot. I got a used Remington 7600 in 308 with a scope for about 500 last year. That would be a watch the gun shows thing along with look for used guns at the local gun stores. Of course the 308 is if you want to shoot out to 1,000 yards or put holes through half inch steel plate at 150 yards like Ken did or was it Magiccarpet?

Edited by Desert Rat
I do not shoot the 300! I was just replying to Mike357! I agree that one should work their way up in caliber and find the easiest to shoot in the 100 to 200 yard range the 5.7 PS90. It is just not a cheap gun to buy or shoot. I got a used Remington 7600 in 308 with a scope for about 500 last year. That would be a watch the gun shows thing along with look for used guns at the local gun stores. Of course the 308 is if you want to shoot out to 1,000 yards or put holes through half inch steel plate at 150 yards like Ken did or was it Magiccarpet?

Since I hit the plates it must have been me...now the poor dead tree...thats all Ken ;-D