advice for a new Remington 700 (or other long range rifle)

clarky07

I'm considering getting a new (to me at least) rifle. I have several rifles already, but mostly older stuff without scopes. stuff like mosins and enfields. I'm hoping to get something nice that I can shoot out a bit further, my eyes just aren't good enough to shoot iron sights past 100 consistently. I can hit paper sometimes at 200, but it's mostly luck at that point. I'm hoping to get in the 200-400 yard range pretty easily with this, and maybe someday further.

From my reading so far the Remington 700 seems like a good choice, but there are lots of different options and calibers as well as obviously plenty of scope choices. 308 is what I've been thinking at this point, but I'm not set in that.

What I'm hoping for is any suggestions as far as the different types/options of the 700, best caliber, and some suggestions for good scopes to put on it. If you'd like to argue for a different longer range sniper I'll certainly listen, but this is what I'm leaning towards.

As for budget, unfortunately at this point it isn't huge. Has to be less than $1000, and would really prefer more in the 750-800 range. I know that's not much to work with, but I've seen them in the stores at 550 on the low end, so I know something exists in this range. Question is how good can I get for that. I could always leave room for upgrades down the road as well.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, let me say I love Remington 700's and have owned many. I have 3 right now. But one thing you need to consider is good glass and that is expensive. To stay within a budget of $800 or so, I would consider a Savage. I picked up a 12BVSS 26" fluted heavy barrel in 308 with the accu-trigger and it will shoot near one hole groups at 100 yards. I got it used and I recommend finding most rifles used as most never get shot much. If you are determined to stay with the Remington 700, I would look for an older BDL model because they have good adjustable triggers, most shoot really well and you can find them in the 450-500 range. Plus you can find the heavy barrels in 308.

As to scopes, I always try to find a used Leupold. Leupolds have lifetime warranties and the few bad ones I have gotten over the years just got mailed back to them for about 12 bucks and came back fixed and shipped for free. You can't beat their service. Others that are good are Bausch & Lomb, Bushnell 4200 series, Weaver T's or V's, Burris or Nikon Monarchs or Buckmasters. The best cheap scope I have found is the Simmons Whitetail Classic from Midway. I have 3 of the 6.5-20x50's and they are all excellent...their not Leupolds but they ain't bad. As to powers you need at least a 3-9 but a 4 to 12 or stronger would be even better.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical from Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky. Run you under $575 including transfer fees and such.

Super Sniper 10x42 30mm scope $300 from SWFA.Com.

With rings, bases, and bipod, whole package right at or under $1K.

Robocop is right on the money.

I picked the Remington VLS in .308. In the reviews I read it was more accurate than the SPS. It has a longer heavy barrel, jeweled bolt and a better stock. I wanted a walnut stock and a heavy barrel, but had to settle for a laminate.

Every bit as important (if not more so) is the scope. I chose a Leupold VX-3 6.5X20X40 Long range.

I too had narrowed it down to picking between the 700 and the savage. I picked the 700 based on the fact that it was a time tested proven performer and while the Savage looked impressive its recommendations were almost always followed by “for the money†or “almost as good as the 700â€. The money difference wasn’t a deciding factor for me.

However…. I bought this for a bench rest target rifle. This sucker is heavy and I wouldn’t want to carry it around. I don’t hunt, but I sure wouldn’t pick this for a hunting rifle.

I would also recommend a Savage. I have a Savage that shoots consistent .3's at 100 yards. This isn't my first one to do it either, my first one shot .3's regularly and would occasionally shoot a .2.

If you plan on staying at 500 yards and less then get a 223. It is cheaper to shoot as well as reload for. If you are going to stretch you legs a bit then look at 308.

A Savage, mounts and a decent optic you are well within your budget.

Another great thing about Savages is the caliber is easily changed. Especially within a rim diameter such as .473". If you get a 308 you can swap so many different calibers it is amazing, 22-250, .243, 7-08, 338 Federal just to name a few. If you go with 30-06 it opens up dozens of calibers that only require a $150 barrel to have a whole new caliber to meet your needs. Once you have a few then you have a weapon system that can handle whatever you want to do. You can swap barrels at home with inexpensive tools or have a smith do it. My smith charges $30 to swap calibers on a Savage. With a Remington you are looking at close to 10x as much because Remington barrels are rarely drop in like Savages.

Dolomite

Guest GunTroll

I would say Rem barrels are never "drop in". I re-barreled a few and have never had one head space correctly without adjustment (pre threaded-short chambered. Obviously a barrel blank doesn't apply). It just won't happen. Probably could win the big lotto a few times before this scenario would happen once. Savage is the better "do it yourself rifle" for big mods. In my mind "less is more" and this is true for Rem actions. Savage has something like 17 pieces just for the bolt and a few extra main pieces for the receiver design than the Rem. Rem on the other hand has 9 pieces (10 if you count the actual bolt knob/handle) for the bolt and two main pieces for the receiver (receiver and recoil lug). IMO less parts makes a better accurate rifle. That being said, which is better? I don't know. I got both designs in my chest and love them equally. Savage factory premium rifles are kicking @$# at the moment over some of the crap Rem is putting out. Price and purpose dictates which one would be better for YOU. Plan your purchase like the "pro's" in the gun rags write...."40% of budget on gun. 60% on glass".

Plan your purchase like the "pro's" in the gun rags write...."40% of budget on gun. 60% on glass".

Great advice. You wouldn't be at all happy with a $900 rifle if it is topped with a $100 WalMart special scope. You can't shoot what you can't see.

First let me say thanks for all the advice so far. I think the Remington 700 SPS Tactical from Bud's Gun Shop is what I'm leaning towards at this point. It is $563, and right now Remington has a $40 rebate going on. Seems like a pretty decent deal that would fit what I want.

I still need to decide on the glass. So after a transfer I'm looking at $550 on the gun, that leaves around 300 give or take for glass and mounting. Any more specific suggestions on that? The Simmons Whitetail Classic from Midway that glockster mentioned is on sale right now for $125, does anybody else have any experience with that one? I was planning on spending more than that, but if it is a decent scope maybe I could save some money there and save up for a really nice scope later on. (I can envision myself getting a nice Leupold and spending more than the gun at some point, but not right now). Thoughts?

Guest Jcochran88
First let me say thanks for all the advice so far. I think the Remington 700 SPS Tactical from Bud's Gun Shop is what I'm leaning towards at this point. It is $563, and right now Remington has a $40 rebate going on. Seems like a pretty decent deal that would fit what I want.

I still need to decide on the glass. So after a transfer I'm looking at $550 on the gun, that leaves around 300 give or take for glass and mounting. Any more specific suggestions on that? The Simmons Whitetail Classic from Midway that glockster mentioned is on sale right now for $125, does anybody else have any experience with that one? I was planning on spending more than that, but if it is a decent scope maybe I could save some money there and save up for a really nice scope later on. (I can envision myself getting a nice Leupold and spending more than the gun at some point, but not right now). Thoughts?

I have that same scope on a rem 700 in .270, that being said it is an ok scope for close stuff. i took it to MCSC to the 400 yard range and could not make out the target. I would go with something a little better in quality like Nikon or Leupold.

I have that same scope on a rem 700 in .270, that being said it is an ok scope for close stuff. i took it to MCSC to the 400 yard range and could not make out the target. I would go with something a little better in quality like Nikon or Leupold.

+1

I have that Simmons Whitetail Classic also; it’s big, cheap, and clunky. It’s not a good scope it’s just high power on the cheap. Its $109 right now at Midway and I wouldn’t use it on a target rifle. You can get a Leupold 3X9X40 for just over $200 and it is far superior.

How much difference in price is there between the Savage and the 700 you are looking at?

Edited by DaveTN
I would say Rem barrels are never "drop in". I re-barreled a few and have never had one head space correctly without adjustment (pre threaded-short chambered. Obviously a barrel blank doesn't apply). It just won't happen. Probably could win the big lotto a few times before this scenario would happen once.

I guess I win the lottery because I just rebarreled a 700BDL 30-06 from rusted out LW contour to new Remington factory pull Sporter Weight in 30-06 and it headspaced OK. I know it was just luck but I will take it.

Again, I hate to argumentative, but I have 3 of these and I am having much better results than that. I bought them for 22's when I was heavy into CZ452's and was just going to use them for 50 yards. Since I have sold off a lot of 22's I have tried them on other rifles including a BDL in 223, a Savage 308 and a #1 in 6mm. I don't have any problems seeing a target at 300 to 400 yards. I have not shot at that distance. I have used them out to 250 without problems. I agree that It does not compare to my Leupold 6.5-20 Long Range Target or my VX3 but for a cheap scope it gets the job done. DO NOT BUY THE MIL-DOT version as the dots are too BIG and it is not usable. BTW, it has 152 4 and 5 star reviews at Midway out of 159. I have to agree with them.

Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable Objective Truplex Reticle Matte - MidwayUSA

I have looked at Tascos, Swift, BSA, Banners, Millets and others and they are all worthless above about 12x to 16x. Even then I have seen these not hold zero or not track properly. So far this has not been the case with these Simmons.

What type of magnification would you guys suggest? it seems 3-9 wouldn't be enough for me at 400.

At least 14 to 20X. But to do that you are going to have to spend some money. My Leupold is pretty good at 300 meters on 20X, but I have never got to shoot it past that.

That’s why I asked how much difference there is between the savage and the Remington. It’s all about the glass. I would guess a savage with a quality scope will embarrass a Remington with a questionable one. Given the same shooter. After all that’s the biggest variable that usually gets left out when comparing rifles. :confused:

Guest GunTroll
I guess I win the lottery because I just rebarreled a 700BDL 30-06 from rusted out LW contour to new Remington factory pull Sporter Weight in 30-06 and it headspaced OK. I know it was just luck but I will take it.

You are a winner!

hmmm, i checked out those reviews on midway and it does seem like it might be an ok start for me. based on what i've seen and my budget, it doesn't seem like spending 300 will get me any more than that simmons. I suspect i'll want to get more like a 600+ leupold, but even getting the savage i couldn't afford that right now. I may get the simmons for now, and then save up for something really nice.

Unless somebody around here has a good used scope for sale. :-)

hmmm, i checked out those reviews on midway and it does seem like it might be an ok start for me. based on what i've seen and my budget, it doesn't seem like spending 300 will get me any more than that simmons. I suspect i'll want to get more like a 600+ leupold, but even getting the savage i couldn't afford that right now. I may get the simmons for now, and then save up for something really nice.

Unless somebody around here has a good used scope for sale. :-)

I know I m the one that recommended the Simmons but I also agree with the others here that a good used Leupold is also a great choice. If you have to get the Simmons for now, it makes a great 22 scope when you do replace it with a better one. For example, I can see 22 caliber bullet holes in the black at 200 yards in the shade with my 20x Leupold. As much as I like the Simmons for the cost, don't expect that kind of performance. Good on a bright day, best at 16x and down but usable at 20x. One other thing, be sure to get a scope with a adjustable objective lens for parallax. I have bought good used 4-12x40 VXII's w/AO for $225-250. Just something to consider, I want you to make an informed decision and not feel like I was pushing you to the Simmons. I really would rather have the used Leupold if I had to choose.

I know I m the one that recommended the Simmons but I also agree with the others here that a good used Leupold is also a great choice. If you have to get the Simmons for now, it makes a great 22 scope when you do replace it with a better one. For example, I can see 22 caliber bullet holes in the black at 200 yards in the shade with my 20x Leupold. As much as I like the Simmons for the cost, don't expect that kind of performance. Good on a bright day, best at 16x and down but usable at 20x. One other thing, be sure to get a scope with a adjustable objective lens for parallax. I have bought good used 4-12x40 VXII's w/AO for $225-250. Just something to consider, I want you to make an informed decision and not feel like I was pushing you to the Simmons. I really would rather have the used Leupold if I had to choose.

no worries. i won't be buying it today or anything, i'm gonna keep looking around for a little while. If I come across a nice used Leupold that would definitely be my preference. As you said though, I think it would work great on my 22 after an upgrade.

I just broke my arm 3 weeks ago, so shooting may be a little tough for a couple more weeks anyways. i think that sale on Midway ends at the end of the month, so I may end up getting it then if I can't find anything better.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical from Bud's Gun Shop in Kentucky. Run you under $575 including transfer fees and such.

Super Sniper 10x42 30mm scope $300 from SWFA.Com.

With rings, bases, and bipod, whole package right at or under $1K.

Robocop is right on the money.

+1 ditch the Houge stock down the road and get one that will not flex (e.g. McMillan, Manners,HS, B&C)

Guest FroggyOne2

Since you set on getting the Remington.. make sure it has at least a 26 inch bbl on it.. 12 twist is fine.. or 10 twist.. i would get it in .308.. Shooting Berger 185's will work.. so will the Sierra 155's (SIE2156) out to a 1000 yards.

I just bought a 12x Weaver scope on 24hourcampfire.com classified section for $98. I wouldn't swap it for the best Tasco or Simmons you can lay your hand on. If you watch the classifieds on some of these sites as well as ebay, you can find great deals on used scopes. I have several Leupold scopes, and would consider selling one, but miine aren't as big as you'd like.I'd suggest you watch ###.com as well as several gun related forums that have classified sections. Just leave a few for me!:cry: