Question for the 1911 owners

Il Duce

....I do believe I'll take Jeff Cooper's word over Lee Roy's and keep carrying my 1911 in condition one. ....

DaddyO:_________________

Looked at all the posts. Dont remember giving advice to anyone. As the great Ricky Ricardo would say: "....I dont remember 'splainin to anyone how they SHOULD DO IT; i remember 'splainin how TO DO IT ....".

....Hope this clears up any angst about all this and asuages any outrage at the method of carry. It will work, and it is another way of doing things. Is it best for you; you gotta decide that. ....By the way, my carry 1911 has an ambidexterious safety, it can be carried 'cocked and locked' and made ready quickly to fire with my left hand... . Remember, there are lots of ways to do things. ...

Looks to me like you could use some manners lessons too. A more appropriate response might be "...i believe ill use conditon one, it's a safe method of carry...". Looks to me like you decided to pick up this little spittin contest. You evidently equate s****y comments with advice. Sadly, it's a common condition among a large portion of pop culture today. You are a little old for this aint ya?

Leroy

DaddyO:_________________

Looked at all the posts. Dont remember giving advice to anyone. As the great Ricky Ricardo would say: "....I dont remember 'splainin to anyone how they SHOULD DO IT; i remember 'splainin how TO DO IT ....".

Looks to me like you could use some manners lessons too. A more appropriate response might be "...i believe ill use conditon one, it's a safe method of carry...". Looks to me like you decided to pick up this little spittin contest. You evidently equate s****y comments with advice. Sadly, it's a common condition among a large portion of pop culture today. You are a little old for this aint ya?

Leroy

Leroy,

No offense intended. But when you say a bad carry method works or is acceptable and that you practice that technique, then you are by default giving advice to others who may not know better. Can't just let it slide man, sorry. It could get someone killed.

Nothing personal.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Leroy,

No offense intended. But when you say a bad carry method works or is acceptable and that you practice that technique, then you are by default giving advice to others who may not know better. Can't just let it slide man, sorry. It could get someone killed.

Nothing personal.

Agreed. To even imply that this is a safe and valid form of carry is dangerous.

I don't carry a 1911, and was, frankly, always a bit concerned about carrying one "locked and cocked." Not too lonh ago, however, I bough a Colt Pony in .380 as a backup and casual carry weapon. As you may know it functions exactly the same manner as the 1911. After making myself familiar with it, used it at the range, trying to make it malfunction, I concluded that the locked and cocked method is the only really safe way to carry the gun. As a matter of fact, I'm wearing a 511 Tactical shirt with it locked and cocked now. I'd be too afraid to carry it any other way than locked and cocked.

I had the same reservations about carrying my 1911 condition one at first, so I had to carry it around the house unloaded, cocked and locked, until I was satisfied that the hammer wasn't going to fall on its own.

I think that happens with most of us. It's a conditioning and comfort level transition. It's exactly the best way for familiarize and convince yourself that it is perfectly safe and the only logical way to carry a 1911.

I would have to agree. At first i was hesitant to carry cocked and locked. Now I think its the best way to carry. Only way my carry weapon could be carried" safer"is by not having a round chambered i think.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Guest Lester Weevils
Look,

I am not trying to lecture anyone here but I have spent a bunch of money training under Clint Smith at Thunder Ranch he was a student of Col Jeff Cooper you all can do as you wish, after all it is your life, but here are Col Jeff Coopers thoughts on 1911 carry conditions:

jeff cooper's five facts of 1911 life: John Browning’s revolutionary semiautomatic pistol was still being used like a Colt six-shooter until Jeff Cooper came along.

Though this thread has occasionally been somewhat testy, I found it interesting and thanks to all for the comments and info.

A snip from Willis' linked article-- "The 1911’s grip safety was insisted upon by the US Army because some paranoid bureaucrat thought it might be a good idea ... Some professional 1911 operators have been known to pin the grip safety to the frame in the down position, and some competitors tape it down for the duration of a match ... You might remember that the pistol John Browning designed in 1935 without benefit of the US Army looking over his shoulder -– the estimable Browning High Power –- functions almost exactly like the 1911 in every way except one. There is no grip safety."

I have a CZ-85 Combat that seems "in the pattern of" a BHP. My model is SA/DA, no decock function and no firing pin block. Initially bought it just as a range gun, but without a firing pin block it probably isn't drop-safe with the hammer down and would require manual de-cock after loading if one wanted to carry it hammer down.

So I reasoned if I did carry this CZ-85, cocked-and-locked ought to be safer than hammer-down SA/DA mode. I've always ONLY carried double-action guns with no safety at all, for simplicity. I have some SA and DA/SA pistols, but never was brave enough to carry em.

Never had a 1911 and hadn't thought of riding the safety with thumb. Tried that out this weekend at the range (with the CZ-85), and it works a whole lot better than trying to reach up with the thumb and grab the safety once the pistol is on-target. It seemed 'iffy' to disable the safety reaching up to grab the lever. I had tried that earlier, but a lot of times I'd reach for the safety and miss, not getting the safety switched off. But riding the safety works pretty reliable.

So the CZ-85 carried cocked-and-locked, would be about the same as a 1911 without a grip safety. How many of you 1911 guys would feel comfortable carrying a 1911 just relying on the safety lever, with the 1911 grip safety pinned down or otherwise disabled?

Yeah, I'd carry one cocked and locked if it didn't have a grip safety. I would never lower the hammer on a live round though, no matter if it has a grip safety or not.

I've been carrying my Glock for a couple of years now and I've had it for almost 6 years always loaded, haven't shot myself yet.