Sizes of 1911s

A.J. Holst

Looking for the overall dimension per model.

Full Size

Commander

Compact

Basic pros/cons of each size?

I have also seen designations of:

"G.I." which appears to be the classic (and basic), low sighted 1911

"Tactical" which seems to have improved sights, trigger, hammer and bob

Thanks!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest JHatmaker

Full Size = 5 inches (Better accuracy than compact models with longer barrel, nice weight and feel, but not as easy to carry comfortably, depending on a persons preferences)

Commander = 4.25 inches (Nice go-between from a full size and compact 1911. Several manufacturers make nice carry models in this length, the "Commander Bobtail" being my favorite)

Compact = 3 inches (Great for carry, maybe not as accurate as full size, can be a handful in sweaty hands depending on grip)

*Rather than do Pro's vs. Con's, I just gave a description, as the 1911 truely has no faults, just quirks :D

The above sizes can vary as well. There are several 6 inch 1911's on the market.

GI is your typical straight-up "military style" 1911

Tactical can mean anything (not just better sights or trigger). It could mean it has a lanyard loop, a light/laser rail, deeper slide serrations

Some 1911's have aluminum frames to reduce weight for carrying, but might have more felt recoil. Several sight options; target and competition, low profile.

Adjustable triggers, grip options galore

The 1911 is one of the most customizable pistols on the market.

Edited by JHatmaker
I hear differing stories about how well a compact 3" 1911 will run. I've been wanting one but the talk of poor reliability makes me nervous.

I have an RIA Compact Tactical with a 3.5" barrel (Officer's size). 100% reliable and extremely accurate after about 500 rounds.

Edited by Garufa

There are also a number of manufacturers who make a 4" barreled gun. They are not true Commander sized guns, but are often referred to as the Commander length for those companies as usually they do not make 4.25" guns. These 4" guns are for the most part cone barrel guns which run w/o a barrel bushing. Kimber call their model the Pro Carry.

Edited by Warbird

I have a Colt Compact that I bought used. The only thing it needed was the extractor tweaked, no doubt from years of use. Since tweaking the extractor it has been 100% reliable with everything I have ran thru it. The only thing I do not like about the compact is the capacity, 6+1. It will take 7 rounds mags but it is possible to over insert the magazine and cause a problem.

Carrying the compact is a breeze but I prefer a full size over the compact because I have carried them for years.

I am currectly looking for a full size 1911 in 9mm to make shooting it cheap and easy.

Dolomite

Compact = 3 inches (Great for carry, maybe not as accurate as full size, can be a handful in sweaty hands depending on grip)

You're thinking about "micro-compacts" with 3 inch barrels.

1002651896_dcVy9-S.jpg

The compact is an Officers size with 3.5 or 3.75 inch barrels.

To the OP, to make this even more confusing for you, you can get 1911s in just about any combo of sizes. Like one with a commander slide and an officers grip.

Edited by strickj
Best thing to do is goto a good gun store and put one of each in your hand. get the size you want and then look at options on that frame style etc. Nothing like handling the mechandise.

Get the size you want today. You'll get the others later. The 1911 is highly addictive!