What's with the Wally walks?

So I have noticed several people posting about how when they first get their permit they go to Wally world open carrying. So what gives? Not trying to bash anyone but just trying to understand why it seems like an accomplishment or why is it done.

I can understand about being proud of getting your permit and enjoying carrying a handgun but it almost comes off as hey look at my new toy. I don't blame you for packing at that place it attracts all the upstanding citizens.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
So I have noticed several people posting about how when they first get their permit they go to Wally world open carrying.

I think you got the type of carry wrong. Most new permit holders Conceal Carry when they first get their permit to calm the nerves the first time they go out in public.

So I have noticed several people posting about how when they first get their permit they go to Wally world open carrying. So what gives? Not trying to bash anyone but just trying to understand why it seems like an accomplishment or why is it done.

I can understand about being proud of getting your permit and enjoying carrying a handgun but it almost comes off as hey look at my new toy. I don't blame you for packing at that place it attracts all the upstanding citizens.

you read way wrong. I've never seen anyone say they they do the walk while open carrying. And it's more of an inside joke than anything(inside to CCers). Or a right of passage.

When people talk about doing the wally-world walk they are simply saying that after getting their permit they go out and carry at wal-mart for the first time. I don't think it has anything to do with open carry. Now, if someone does decide to OC then that is their right.

End thread.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
I can never find a wal-mart with a nacho station.

Here in Nashville, most Walmarts have a McDonalds inside. So substitute the Nacho Station for that....LOL

I do remember one new HCP holder recently posting about going to OC on their first day and go to Wal-Mart.

But as has been said, 99% CC.

As far as Wal-Mart in general, just a place that almost all of us go, and just helps you with that "Everyone can see I've got a gun." feeling you get when first starting to carry.

'Cmon guys, read the fine print on your HCP application. The permit is not officially activated by the state until the completion of the Wally World Walk.

- OS

This isn't necessary on renewals -just new permits!:)

Failure to complete within 10 days of issue date, could result in being listed on the next update of the Memphis Commie Appeal database of HCP holders.

Edited by tnhawk

While the Walmart Walk is pretty funny (actually, in a redneck sort of way for me), I did it, because honestly it was kind of second-nature... I started carrying when I received my permit, then the second place that I went was Walmart, because I actually needed to buy some things. Perhaps it's instilled into you, through subversive teaching in your HCP class, that you have to go to Walmart within 24 hours of receiving your permit, or else you just can't go anywhere else.

I still carry at Walmart, with pride, because you never know when you're going to be in the freezer section, and someone breaks out a pistol over the last frozen Mexican dinner that someone else wanted. :D

Guest Glock23ForMe

To echo what some of the outstanding TGO'ers above me have already posted. For me, the first time I had the legal ability to CC or OC, I was slightly nervous, looking over my shoulder, wondering if anyone saw. I used Wal-Mart, Wally-Walk, as a place to get my feel wet, but also be in water up to my waist, if that makes sense. I used it as a place to submerge myself in people so I could be confident in my ability to Conceal Carry, as well as being aware of my surroundings and other people in general. It seems to me, it's kind of like a "Little League" approach to CC in the big world. It's a place where EVERYONE goes, numerous times per week, and somewhere that we could be comfortable buying something even if we were carrying. If I got my HCP, and went into a gun store that I had never been into in my life, I'm going to be nervous, and the shop owner/attendant is going to notice my nervousness, therefore he checks me out more, which equals more nervousness for me. Wal-Mart, not so much. :D

Nothing to be nervous about. I was just glad about getting a license for something I was already doing a lot to lessen the chance of getting hassled by the police (who are normally pretty cool) in Arkansas. I started carrying legally at 18 in my car a loaded pistol and had it in an IWB leather holster for when I had to go in a rest stop or gas station when traveling across the state. It was a pain in some states like TN where there was no legal way to carry a pistol in my car and on my person without a license when traveling/journey, so i ended up getting a license in Arkansas.

To echo what some of the outstanding TGO'ers above me have already posted. For me, the first time I had the legal ability to CC or OC, I was slightly nervous, looking over my shoulder, wondering if anyone saw. I used Wal-Mart, Wally-Walk, as a place to get my feel wet, but also be in water up to my waist, if that makes sense. I used it as a place to submerge myself in people so I could be confident in my ability to Conceal Carry, as well as being aware of my surroundings and other people in general. It seems to me, it's kind of like a "Little League" approach to CC in the big world. It's a place where EVERYONE goes, numerous times per week, and somewhere that we could be comfortable buying something even if we were carrying. If I got my HCP, and went into a gun store that I had never been into in my life, I'm going to be nervous, and the shop owner/attendant is going to notice my nervousness, therefore he checks me out more, which equals more nervousness for me. Wal-Mart, not so much. :D

Not if i can avoid it! I may go once or twice a month... thank goodness the wife shops!

Guest dizzielizzie

I thought the Walmart rookie walk was "to go get ammo." I practiced my "Is my concealment method going to fail if I reach up for something on the top shelf" at Walmart. And yep, it did, but no one cared (I think no one really noticed.)

Funny thing, I did the Wally-Walk before I had heard anyone else talk about the Wally-Walk to get comfortable with carrying and get used to the idea that no one else knows I am carrying (unless I tell them.) I liked Walmart for that purpose for some of the very reasons mentioned, before - along with things like: Walmart doesn't post, you are unlikely to run into a roving gang of uber-leftists who will give you grief if your concealment method fails, I go to Walmart often enough to feel comfortable there but - as someone else mentioned - it is a good place to 'practice' carrying around a lot of other people.

I chuckled when I later found out that the 'Wally-Walk' is actually pretty much common practice to the point that it is a running joke.

Funny thing, I did the Wally-Walk before I had heard anyone else talk about the Wally-Walk to get comfortable with carrying and get used to the idea that no one else knows I am carrying (unless I tell them.) I liked Walmart for that purpose for some of the very reasons mentioned, before - along with things like: Walmart doesn't post, you are unlikely to run into a roving gang of uber-leftists who will give you grief if your concealment method fails, I go to Walmart often enough to feel comfortable there but - as someone else mentioned - it is a good place to 'practice' carrying around a lot of other people.

I chuckled when I later found out that the 'Wally-Walk' is actually pretty much common practice to the point that it is a running joke.

Ditto. Now I'm curious as to how many people were thinking "Wally-walk pssshhh. I did that before it was cool!" lol

Guest 72ratcamaro
Nothing to be nervous about. I was just glad about getting a license for something I was already doing a lot to lessen the chance of getting hassled by the police .

I started carrying before I had my permit since a P3AT just slipped into my pocket. It wasn't a big deal for me to be seen/print when I got my permit so I just switched from being super worried/deep concealment to IWB 1911 and not worried about it.

The test is to determine if you can overcome the tendency to walk slightly towards the side you wear your gun on. At the one I go to, it could lead you immediately to the nachos if you're right-handed and haven't compensated for the drift. You gotta get through the store for all the things as you came for first. The end of the rainbow is the nachos. If you do it right, you'll have earned them.