S&W Sigma, did I get screwed?

Guest Travtastik

Guest Travtastik

Well last week I got a call from a buddy who wanted to know if I would be intrested in a M&P40. When I got there to check it out this is what I found.

4986262827_5e867a0b4a_z.jpg

http://4986260569_a6933ba34c.jpg

Not at all what I thought I would find. He was owed some money for a long time and the guy gave him the gun to take care of his debt. He was told it was a M&P40 and that it had 25 rnds down the pipe. The guy told him it was worth $700 and he would have no problem getting $400 or more for it. I don't know anything about these guns or what one would be worth. He said he would take $275 for it so I figured why not. It helped him out and I could always use another 40.

Edited by Travtastik
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Grantonius

That is definitely a sigma! I own a 9mm and love it! Alot of people hate on them for one reason or another. I say they are either weak fingered girly men, or glock elitists!

Not to hate - but your friend is just stupid... that looks nothing like an M&P, unless you count the fact that it's made of plastic, and has a trigger on it. You didn't get screwed at all - your friend did (as someone else mentioned).

Guest tnxdshooter
I hate them because I've seen them break more times than Gerald Ford falls.

Never seen one break period. If they did it was probably because they were not properly maintained. Mine never had issues except for the 1000 round mark I had to replace the springs in the magazine cuz it was getting ftfs because the springs were worn and there wasnt enough umph so to speak to get the round over the feed ramp. Then again I am anal about keeping my gun clean and they are immaculate. I take a tooth brush and eezox and scrub every last bit of powder residue off of the gun.

If you don't know what the gun is worth that you are buying, selling, or trading for, you're gonna get screwed, period.

I have a SW9VE Allied Forces. I've never had a failure with it in 600 rounds, and it's very accurate. Feels great in the hand, and once you get used to the trigger, it makes a decent carry weapon or a truck gun. I would have no problem trusting my life to mine.

Never seen one break period. If they did it was probably because they were not properly maintained. Mine never had issues except for the 1000 round mark I had to replace the springs in the magazine cuz it was getting ftfs because the springs were worn and there wasnt enough umph so to speak to get the round over the feed ramp. Then again I am anal about keeping my gun clean and they are immaculate. I take a tooth brush and eezox and scrub every last bit of powder residue off of the gun.

I worked at a gun shop/range for 3 years. I'd say probably 60-70% of people that came in with one had issues. Even Hi-points will work, but overall I wouldn't own one. That was my point.

You did fine on that deal. Sigmas are good guns.....pretty much a cheap Glock copy. If I recall correctly, S&W got sued by Glock for the design (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that). The trigger is the worst part about them.....but if you don't mind a long hard trigger pull, they're great shooters. I had one for a while and liked it a lot. I only sold it because I needed some cash for a down payment on a car at the time and it was on the bottom of my gun totem pole. :D

Guest tnxdshooter
If you don't know what the gun is worth that you are buying, selling, or trading for, you're gonna get screwed, period.

I have a SW9VE Allied Forces. I've never had a failure with it in 600 rounds, and it's very accurate. Feels great in the hand, and once you get used to the trigger, it makes a decent carry weapon or a truck gun. I would have no problem trusting my life to mine.

I would simply because it was a 9mm. Why do you think most po po departments switched to 40 cal and 357 sig? More stopping power, and more penetration.

Guest tnxdshooter
I worked at a gun shop/range for 3 years. I'd say probably 60-70% of people that came in with one had issues. Even Hi-points will work, but overall I wouldn't own one. That was my point.

True, like any gun, if they are not taken care of they can not work properly. I have some friends that have had hi-points and never had issues with them because they are taken care of properly.

I tried them and as far as feeding, reliability and accuracy they were decent. I picked up a used one one time and tried some of the trigger "fixes". i could get the pull lightened but then when I tried rapid fire I would lose reset. Tried polishing this and that according to all the articles and could get it pretty smooth but never light. Finally gave up and decided to stick with the Glocks I have. Loved the grip angle though. May switch to all M&P's one day but I have too much Glock stuff.

Guest tnxdshooter
You did fine on that deal. Sigmas are good guns.....pretty much a cheap Glock copy. If I recall correctly, S&W got sued by Glock for the design (someone please correct me if I'm wrong on that). The trigger is the worst part about them.....but if you don't mind a long hard trigger pull, they're great shooters. I had one for a while and liked it a lot. I only sold it because I needed some cash for a down payment on a car at the time and it was on the bottom of my gun totem pole. :D

That was the thing I hated most about it although predator custom shop in Knoxville which was the only place that had cojones enough to mess with it got mine down to about 6.5-7 pounds on my lyman trigger gauge. They polished the action so to speak and it dropped the trigger way down there. Granted it was still long but the pull was light and smooth. If there was a way to have put an over travel adjustment in it like I have in my springfield then it would have been really awesome then. I think they are good starter guns to get your feet wet with until you graduate to a real one.

Guest tnxdshooter
I tried them and as far as feeding, reliability and accuracy they were decent. I picked up a used one one time and tried some of the trigger "fixes". i could get the pull lightened but then when I tried rapid fire I would lose reset. Tried polishing this and that according to all the articles and could get it pretty smooth but never light. Finally gave up and decided to stick with the Glocks I have. Loved the grip angle though. May switch to all M&P's one day but I have too much Glock stuff.

I have heard rumours but do not know if it was true or not. Supposedly, you could call and complain to smith and wesson and their performance shop would hook you up with a real light trigger job but I never wanted to send mine off to get it done even if it was going to be free shipping there and back plus free trigger job.

I would simply because it was a 9mm. Why do you think most po po departments switched to 40 cal and 357 sig? More stopping power, and more penetration.

True. However, technological advances in 9mm ammunition have brought it up to FBI ballistic standards. With the RIGHT 9mm ammo, it is a capable fight-stopper.

When I went through Metro Nashville's police academy (1996), 4-6 guys bought them.

Sidebar- Metro Policy at the time...we were issued a S&W .38 or could buy/use a 9mm built by S&W, Glock, Beretta, or SIG (only one guy in the class used the issued .38). Issued 9mm load was the Winchester 127gr+P+ Ranger.

Back to story- every Sigma failed and had to go back to the factory due to breakage or failure.

Fastforward to today, the Sigma is now reliable (as DaddyO mentioned with the VE line), but it's really too bad that S&W can't put a decent trigger action in them because, laugh if you want, they feel great in the hand and are very reasonably priced.

To the OP, your friend paid the "stupid tax."

Edited by TN-popo
True. However, technological advances in 9mm ammunition have brought it up to FBI ballistic standards. With the RIGHT 9mm ammo, it is a capable fight-stopper.

Stop it! Just stop it right now! You are using logic, sense, and facts. The ".45 is a death ray" crowd doesn't want to hear it. They are going to tell you how they can catch 9mm rounds with their teeth, and how they avidly take 9mm rounds to the chest to toughen up their skin in case they get shot with a real gun.

$275.00 for a used Sigma when $299.00 brings home new is more than I would pay a stranger. Would I pay that to support a friend as stated in the OP? Maybe leaning toward Yes.

I think you could sell it to recoup most your money.