Fred Thompson....

Guest TargetShooter84

Guest TargetShooter84

Has anybody heard that if Fred doesnt do well in the South Carolina Primaries, that he was going to bow out of the presidental race after a disappointing 3rd place in the last primary....frankly, I'm kinda disappointed in his performance lately since I was really hoping he'd win and be ahead of the others....

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he doesn't want it... he doesn't want it, and that's okay. I've got alot of respect for the man, and he's got every right to choose his own direction in life. It's pretty apparent that his presidential bid is half-hearted; I'm sure he's got his reasons.

If he doesn't want it... he doesn't want it, and that's okay. I've got alot of respect for the man, and he's got every right to choose his own direction in life. It's pretty apparent that his presidential bid is half-hearted; I'm he's got his reasons.

Yes, but I feel like he would have made one heck of a Pres.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I have heard the same thing. I have sent Fred a fair amount of money in support of his campaign. Assuming he is still in on Super Tuesday I will vote for him because I still believe that he would be a great President. If he bails, Mike Huckabee will get my gambling money. :eek:

Guest Boomhower

I too am disappointed in how poorly he has ran his campaign. I am not 100% vested, but he will probably get my vote come Feb. 5th. Do you think it was all a smoke screen for the VP position???

Guest TargetShooter84
I too am disappointed in how poorly he has ran his campaign. I am not 100% vested, but he will probably get my vote come Feb. 5th. Do you think it was all a smoke screen for the VP position???

I was wondering the same thing about the VP Position, it would be nice if he was a VP to one of the candidates and I strongly think it would help boost the republican party and win over the democratic party, however, I still think he would've been a good president itself.

I was really hoping Thompson would be "the one". But to be honest I

hardly heard anything out of him.

To be honest... I am pretty disillusioned with all politicians. I see them all as corrupt. They may not start out that way, and may have the noblest of intentions... but in the end they get chewed up by the political machines.

They saw only what they ned to to get elected then they are held to do the bidding of those that have helped them gain power. (end rant)

I would like to see Thompson at least as VP... (Which makes sense seeing that he really didn't attack any other canidates very hard.) but if this was his "plan" all along... well... then it was just a waste of money that could have been better used funding the real canidate's campaign.

hes officially dropping out. this was just posted on CNN.com

Thompson drops out of GOP presidential race

Posted: 02:27 PM ET

In a statement issued by his campaign, Fred Thompson said:

"Today I have withdrawn my candidacy for President of the United States. I hope that my country and my party have benefited from our having made this effort. Jeri and I will always be grateful for the encouragement and friendship of so many wonderful people."

This will be my first time voting in America (I became a citizen 2nd Feb 2007 in Knoxville). I like Fred and the things he says are good and grounded, and I think he is the best of all the Rep candidates, but he doesn't seem to have an energetic campaign. Don't care he came in late, the others were early, but once he entered I expected him to aggressively campaign. Perhaps he was only in it to be the VP.

Guest TargetShooter84

Cant believe he withdrew this early....he could have at least waited until after this weekend just to see what the outcome in SC would have been...never know if he could've gotten a fairly better lead or not....

Why do you all support him so much. Specifically state positions that drew you to him.

He is not especially charismatic, he did not do much while in the Senate. I am not sure why he would make a good President or VP. He seems very lackluster and most of his postions in my mind were predictable, a poor copy of Reagan or King George I

Because he was OUR candidate! OUR choice! I was especially happy with his illegal alien stance, his economics policy (hands off really which is where government should be), pro-life, pro gun. My biggies. Not really an issue but you wanted them you got them. Why? and more importantly since you asked, who are you going to vote for and why? Can we critique your choice?

Besides, do you really want your government doing more than providing infrastructure and defense? Less is more!

Guest TargetShooter84
Because he was OUR candidate! OUR choice! I was especially happy with his illegal alien stance, his economics policy (hands off really which is where government should be), pro-life, pro gun. My biggies. Not really an issue but you wanted them you got them. Why? and more importantly since you asked, who are you going to vote for and why? Can we critique your choice?

Besides, do you really want your government doing more than providing infrastructure and defense? Less is more!

I second that....:eek:

Quite simply, he was one of the few who did not want to enact programs which intrude upon (or promote a lack of) individual responsibility. That, and I agree with his stance and voting history on most of the issues, specifically abortion, RKBA, immigration, economic issues, international relations and the gambit of other domestic issues (gay marriage, special programs for minorities, etc...).