Dangerous Dogs

Guest trigem

Guest mosinon

recall that Petey, the little rascal's dog was a pit bull. Also pit bulls is one of those catch all breeds. Until that a dog attacks it's a lab/boxer mix. After it bites the face off a two year old it is a pit bull. Plus, jerks buy pit bulls because they want a loyal weapon or something. They buy a dog to be aggressive and then make sure the dog is aggressive.

When I was a kid everyone worried about dobermans and german shepards. The truth seems to be you've got a lot less to be worried about from the dog than the owner.

There were 30 fatalities by dog in the US last year, there are 75 million dogs. You're biggest worry shouldn't be the dogs, you need to worry about the humans who'd kill you first. And before that you probably need to worry about heart health.

Let us not be crazy about threats, we can all imagine a deadly situation where we are confronted by a crazed dog, a hungry mountain lion or a serial killer. But those scarenarios stick with us because we internalize them even though they are highly unlikely. I read through all the deaths by permit holders and I didn't see one example of a permit holder shooting someone in a home invasion that I recall. But that is something that scares everyone. Except me. I live in a dump.

Don't worry about the dogs, you're more likely to have a brain aneurism. Don't worry about the bears, don't worry about the snakes. Worry about your ticker, your weight, your blood pressure and your blood sugar. You can't shoot those things even with a 45.

Do you imagine life will be any better for your loved ones if you die of a heart attack instead of a rattler bite?

Not doing all you can to be healthy is the same as rolling without a firearm. Except you're more likely to die because of the unhealthy choices you make.

All that said, I am the worst about this. I will die from a heart attack or cancer or something. I will have regrets. But instead of getting a trainer I'm getting a permit. Those eight hours would be better spent on a treadmill but I am a pure idiot.

Edited by mosinon
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArmyVeteran37214
You couldn’t possibly know that about someone else’s dog. Most dogs are nice until they flip out and attack.

I took this dog for a walk in his neighborhood and another dog broke free of his chain in his yard and charged us. Chance didn't become aggressive toward the other dog until the other dog was less than 2 feet from us. I held Chance's chain very tight and kept myself between the two dogs the best I could. The other owners dog got maybe a couple runs at Chance and I, but I attempted to kick it every time it got close. I connected once for sure before the other dogs owner came out and scooped up the other dog. I know Chance very well, I see this dog every week.

...... Also pit bulls is one of those catch all breeds. Until that a dog attacks it's a lab/boxer mix. After it bites the face off a two year old it is a pit bull......

Pit Bulls must be the Glock of doggydome! Surely you're not inferring that the media might put out false information on the breed of dog. Kinda makes you wonder how many Glock stories in the news were actually pits!:sick:

-southernaslylum

Aggressive Towards Humans

A correct Pit Bull will never be aggressive with people. The Pit Bull has been bred for centuries to be a human-friendly dog.

It is not a guardian breed, and therefore should not display suspicion towards strangers or view them as potential threats. It is uncommon for a Pit Bull to be overly shy.

The Pit Bull is likely to meet all strangers with an open heart and a wagging tail. A normal Pit Bull looks upon all people as friends unless their actions prove otherwise.

Generally Pit Bulls are submissive with people and confident in their surroundings, making for a well-adjusted family dog. Since times past when the Pit Bull was used for hunting of large game and as a farm dog, it has been a cherished fixture of family life.

The Pit Bull has a special fondness for children and a pleased, relaxed look crosses its face when they approach. It can prove to be a safe, hardy friend that can keep up and put up with the active play life of kids. For a child, no better companion can be found.

Pit Bulls Kick Butt on The American Temperament Test Society's Tests

It is reported on temperament tests conducted by the American Temperament Test Society the American Pit Bull Terrier has a current (December 2004) passing rate of 83.9% -- compared to only 77% of the general dog population.

Temperament tests consist of putting a dog through a series of unexpected situations, some involving strangers. Any signs of unprovoked aggression or panic in these situations result in failure of the test. (Please visit ATTS.org)

A Pit Bull that snarls, lunges, or growls at humans is not typical of the breed, and to keep such a dog endangers people and the image of the breed.

If a Pit Bull or Pit Bull mix shows any signs of aggression towards humans, it is strongly suggested that the dog be humanely euthanized in order to avoid possible human injury.

While this action may seem harsh if you think about the damage one unstable, ill-bred Pit Bull does to the entire breed this action is completely acceptable. This isn't to say if you think your dog could be human aggressive you run to your vet and have them put down.

You should take a look at all the possible problems that might be causing unstable behaviour. Almost always in a case where a dog "just snaps" or "turns on their owner" there was a medical problem uncovered that was most likely the cause of the behaviour. If you have a dog that is acting unpredictable or out of sorts, take them to the vet and have them examined.

Understanding Their Temperament

Dog On Dog Aggression The Pit Bull is a purpose-bred dog. Historically, Pit Bulls were bred as a hunting dog of large game.

Later, the Pit Bull served as a farm dog and butcher's tool for taking down bulls for slaughter.

Later still, the dog was bred to fight other dogs for money and entertainment.

This purpose-breeding has given the Pit Bull behavior attributes that may not be desirable to all prospective owners.

The Pit Bull is strong, intelligent, and has been bred for a willingness to "test their mettle" against larger animals and other dogs.

It is not uncommon for Pit Bulls to not get along with other dogs; especially dogs of the same sex and dogs that are not neutered or spayed. This by far is not always the case with this breed, but the predisposition for varying levels of dog-aggressive behavior is very much there.

It is important for the potential owner of a Pit Bull to be realistic with their expectations of their new dog, and to be prepared to have a wonderful family dog that may not be able to socialize with other dogs. This is especially true of someone that is adopting or buying a puppy.

A benefit to adopting a young adult or full grown Pit Bull is that their behavior is more fixed and reliable. Contrary to what many well-intentioned but incorrectly informed new owners think, a Pit Bull's behavior is not influenced only by how you raise them.

Is it "how you raise them?"

Puppies from the same litter that receive the same love and socialization will range from being completely non dog-aggressive even when provoked or attacked, to dogs that will go out of their way to start a fight with any dog if not restrained. Dog aggression is common with all terriers. It is a trait also held by the Rottweiler, Akita, Malamute, and Doberman.

The Pit Bull does not fully mature until over two years of age. Due to this late maturity, some Pit Bulls that were dog-friendly as puppies will begin to show intolerance of unfamiliar dogs as they get older. This does not mean that the dog cannot play with other dogs, but it may mean that the Pit Bull should stick to dog playmates that it already knows.

In some cases, Pit Bulls that were friendly with other dogs when younger will be unable to be with any dogs later in life. This is not common, but it is something that every responsible Pit Bull owner must consider. Having a Pit Bull neutered or spayed around 6 months of age can greatly reduce the chances of intolerance occurring later in its life.

Caution Should be taken even if you think your dog is dog-friendly

Although many Pit Bulls get along well with other dogs, it is dangerous to expect all Pit Bulls to do so in all situations. A Pit Bull that is very dog-friendly may seriously injure or kill another dog if a fight is started. Because of this, the best way to keep dogs safe while they play is to take steps to decrease the chances of a fight starting.

It is always a good idea to introduce any dog to a new dog slowly, and on leash. Many people feel that it is best to pick a neutral ground, like a back yard of a house where neither of the dogs live. It is wise to first eliminate things like food bowls and toys that can trigger a fight.

First offering two of the same toy, such as two tennis balls, may reduce possible tension during play. Pit Bulls can play very well with dogs of all breeds and sizes, but it is important to supervise all playtime. Through supervision, the owners can step in if play is too rough or if tension arises, avoiding a possible fight.

It is vital that Pit Bulls be supervised when with other dogs. This is even true for dogs that have grown up together or get along perfectly. After a serious fight, relations between the dogs may never be the same, increasing tension and the chance for more fighting.

If a fight does happen, a Pit Bull can inflict serious damage to another dog very quickly. If a Pit Bull is left at home with another dog, the dogs need to be separated.

Although not always the case, dogs tend to be more relaxed and less prone to aggression when interacting with a dog of the opposite sex. This is a good thing to keep in mind when considering bringing a new dog into a household that already has a family dog.

Having a multi-dog household

Many people have great success in having a Pit Bull in a multiple-dog household. Some Pit Bulls will not tolerate other dogs, but more often Pit Bulls enjoy having canine family members. Some people believe that the easiest way to ensure success with having more than one dog in a household is to get them as puppies and raise them together.

This method can work, but it is not always successful. Due to the varying degrees of intolerance for dogs that can be acquired genetically, raising puppies together is not a guarantee for compatibility. Many dogs end up in shelters due to intolerance towards the other family dog as they mature.

A risk must be assessed when brining a Pit Bull puppy home into a house with other dogs, or brining two puppies home together. An owner needs to understand that they may have a situation as the Pit Bull matures where the dogs cannot be together safely. This usually is not the case, however being unprepared for this possibility is not fair to the dogs involved.

When bringing home a Pit Bull puppy, the new owner needs to assume responsibility for the breeds predisposed behavior and make a commitment to keep it safe and happy for its entire life no matter what may arise.

Having puppies of separate sexes, and having them altered before full maturity may decrease some of the chances for aggressive behavior. Making efforts to keep tension and fighting from starting is very important. Feed the dogs separately, even if they seem to share a food bowl without problems.

Be cautious when offering raw meat, bones, and special treats. A good idea is to have the dogs separated at feeding time. While some people resist this idea, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Having duplicates of favorite toys can help eliminate the dogs feeling the need to guard from each other. Interacting with the dogs equally can help keep them from feeling a need to compete for attention.

Activities such as going for walks together, playing ball in the yard, going to the river for a swim, or lying on the couch side by side for petting during a movie are ways to enjoy the dogs together and thus strengthen the bond with the dogs and with the owners.

Early Socialization may help prevent future problems

Socialization while the dogs are young is important as well. Exposing puppies to a variety of situations together in a positive way will help them be confident dogs as they grow up. Dogs that are feeling fearful or insecure are more likely to act aggressively towards each other or other dogs.

Many Pit Bull owners have found success in bringing older Pit Bulls into a home that already has a dog (either Pit Bull or other breed). By doing this the new owner has a general idea of the new Pit Bull's behavior with other dogs, and knows the behavior of their first dog, as well. There are many success stories from people that adopt through a rescue or animal shelter that have used this method.

Another idea to keep in mind when considering adding another dog to the family is foster care. Many rescues and shelters are in great need of foster families for dogs.

This allows a family the chance to get used to having more dogs, gives time for the existing dog to adjust to having a canine family member, and may help the decision on which dog to adopt or if the family is ready to adopt another dog.

The greatest benefit to fostering is that a life is being saved. Fostered dogs are no longer in the shelter risking euthanasia, and once a dog is in a foster home, another dog can have the chance for a foster family.

In Conclusion

Having multiple dogs, taking your Pit Bull around other dogs, introducing new dogs to your dog, should all be handled with caution.

Not because your dog is "bad." You as a responsible owner should know that the genetics of your breed lean toward dog on dog aggression. Keeping your dog and those dogs around your dog safe is your responsibility.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Kano, you hit alot of important points in your posts. It's important for anyone considering a Pitbull to study the breed and take into the account the environment that said Pitbull will be placed.

YouTube - PitBull & Cat - Nobody Wanna See Us Together! Akon - "Don't Matter"

Pits are loving dogs

Some Pit owners are real #SS HOLES and should not own a dog....

2ThumbsUp.gif

Edited by StreetWK05

I realize that not all pits are bad dogs, I'm sure some are great. But I think I'll pass. So many other breeds out there that cause far less problems. I can't tell you how many times I've been to the dog park and seen Pits do nothing but fight and just raise hell.

Understanding Their Temperament

Dog On Dog Aggression The Pit Bull is a purpose-bred dog. Historically, Pit Bulls were bred as a hunting dog of large game.

Later, the Pit Bull served as a farm dog and butcher's tool for taking down bulls for slaughter.

Later still, the dog was bred to fight other dogs for money and entertainment.

This purpose-breeding has given the Pit Bull behavior attributes that may not be desirable to all prospective owners.

The Pit Bull is strong, intelligent, and has been bred for a willingness to "test their mettle" against larger animals and other dogs.

It is not uncommon for Pit Bulls to not get along with other dogs; especially dogs of the same sex and dogs that are not neutered or spayed. This by far is not always the case with this breed, but the predisposition for varying levels of dog-aggressive behavior is very much there.

It is important for the potential owner of a Pit Bull to be realistic with their expectations of their new dog, and to be prepared to have a wonderful family dog that may not be able to socialize with other dogs. This is especially true of someone that is adopting or buying a puppy.

A benefit to adopting a young adult or full grown Pit Bull is that their behavior is more fixed and reliable. Contrary to what many well-intentioned but incorrectly informed new owners think, a Pit Bull's behavior is not influenced only by how you raise them.

Is it "how you raise them?"

Puppies from the same litter that receive the same love and socialization will range from being completely non dog-aggressive even when provoked or attacked, to dogs that will go out of their way to start a fight with any dog if not restrained. Dog aggression is common with all terriers. It is a trait also held by the Rottweiler, Akita, Malamute, and Doberman.

The Pit Bull does not fully mature until over two years of age. Due to this late maturity, some Pit Bulls that were dog-friendly as puppies will begin to show intolerance of unfamiliar dogs as they get older. This does not mean that the dog cannot play with other dogs, but it may mean that the Pit Bull should stick to dog playmates that it already knows.

In some cases, Pit Bulls that were friendly with other dogs when younger will be unable to be with any dogs later in life. This is not common, but it is something that every responsible Pit Bull owner must consider. Having a Pit Bull neutered or spayed around 6 months of age can greatly reduce the chances of intolerance occurring later in its life.

Caution Should be taken even if you think your dog is dog-friendly

Although many Pit Bulls get along well with other dogs, it is dangerous to expect all Pit Bulls to do so in all situations. A Pit Bull that is very dog-friendly may seriously injure or kill another dog if a fight is started. Because of this, the best way to keep dogs safe while they play is to take steps to decrease the chances of a fight starting.

It is always a good idea to introduce any dog to a new dog slowly, and on leash. Many people feel that it is best to pick a neutral ground, like a back yard of a house where neither of the dogs live. It is wise to first eliminate things like food bowls and toys that can trigger a fight.

First offering two of the same toy, such as two tennis balls, may reduce possible tension during play. Pit Bulls can play very well with dogs of all breeds and sizes, but it is important to supervise all playtime. Through supervision, the owners can step in if play is too rough or if tension arises, avoiding a possible fight.

It is vital that Pit Bulls be supervised when with other dogs. This is even true for dogs that have grown up together or get along perfectly. After a serious fight, relations between the dogs may never be the same, increasing tension and the chance for more fighting.

If a fight does happen, a Pit Bull can inflict serious damage to another dog very quickly. If a Pit Bull is left at home with another dog, the dogs need to be separated.

Although not always the case, dogs tend to be more relaxed and less prone to aggression when interacting with a dog of the opposite sex. This is a good thing to keep in mind when considering bringing a new dog into a household that already has a family dog.

Having a multi-dog household

Many people have great success in having a Pit Bull in a multiple-dog household. Some Pit Bulls will not tolerate other dogs, but more often Pit Bulls enjoy having canine family members. Some people believe that the easiest way to ensure success with having more than one dog in a household is to get them as puppies and raise them together.

This method can work, but it is not always successful. Due to the varying degrees of intolerance for dogs that can be acquired genetically, raising puppies together is not a guarantee for compatibility. Many dogs end up in shelters due to intolerance towards the other family dog as they mature.

A risk must be assessed when brining a Pit Bull puppy home into a house with other dogs, or brining two puppies home together. An owner needs to understand that they may have a situation as the Pit Bull matures where the dogs cannot be together safely. This usually is not the case, however being unprepared for this possibility is not fair to the dogs involved.

When bringing home a Pit Bull puppy, the new owner needs to assume responsibility for the breeds predisposed behavior and make a commitment to keep it safe and happy for its entire life no matter what may arise.

Having puppies of separate sexes, and having them altered before full maturity may decrease some of the chances for aggressive behavior. Making efforts to keep tension and fighting from starting is very important. Feed the dogs separately, even if they seem to share a food bowl without problems.

Be cautious when offering raw meat, bones, and special treats. A good idea is to have the dogs separated at feeding time. While some people resist this idea, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Having duplicates of favorite toys can help eliminate the dogs feeling the need to guard from each other. Interacting with the dogs equally can help keep them from feeling a need to compete for attention.

Activities such as going for walks together, playing ball in the yard, going to the river for a swim, or lying on the couch side by side for petting during a movie are ways to enjoy the dogs together and thus strengthen the bond with the dogs and with the owners.

Early Socialization may help prevent future problems

Socialization while the dogs are young is important as well. Exposing puppies to a variety of situations together in a positive way will help them be confident dogs as they grow up. Dogs that are feeling fearful or insecure are more likely to act aggressively towards each other or other dogs.

Many Pit Bull owners have found success in bringing older Pit Bulls into a home that already has a dog (either Pit Bull or other breed). By doing this the new owner has a general idea of the new Pit Bull's behavior with other dogs, and knows the behavior of their first dog, as well. There are many success stories from people that adopt through a rescue or animal shelter that have used this method.

Another idea to keep in mind when considering adding another dog to the family is foster care. Many rescues and shelters are in great need of foster families for dogs.

This allows a family the chance to get used to having more dogs, gives time for the existing dog to adjust to having a canine family member, and may help the decision on which dog to adopt or if the family is ready to adopt another dog.

The greatest benefit to fostering is that a life is being saved. Fostered dogs are no longer in the shelter risking euthanasia, and once a dog is in a foster home, another dog can have the chance for a foster family.

In Conclusion

Having multiple dogs, taking your Pit Bull around other dogs, introducing new dogs to your dog, should all be handled with caution.

Not because your dog is "bad." You as a responsible owner should know that the genetics of your breed lean toward dog on dog aggression. Keeping your dog and those dogs around your dog safe is your responsibility.

+1

Personally I'm a hound guy, but I've owned a few different breeds over the years and I've had several different friends with pit bulls. hands down the 2 most vicious dogs I've ever encountered were my friend's chow and my own chihuahua that I had since I was 7. That dog lived to be 18 years old I kid you not. He wasn't a "bad dog", but he liked to bite at you if you screwed with him and by that I mean "got near him when he wasn't in the mood" lol

Now I have a mini-dachshund and a basset hound. My neighbor down the street has a pit. He's as goofy and lovable as my Basset.

I had a chow that was extremely aggressive towards strangers. we had to put him down due to that fact. i remember having him when i was 4 or 5 and not being afraid of him at all even though i knew what he was capable of.

You know how in Cujo they try to get out of the car and he barrels up on the door and claws at it, etc? That was going to my friend's house if the dog wasn't put up.

we were out of town visiting my aunt and uncle and we get a call from the shelter saying they have our dog. we ask why and they said he broke off his chain and mauled a girl. they said they were going to sue us if we didnt have him put down.

1) this dog was on the biggest chain Lowes sells and he snapped it

2) he didnt go out of his way to be aggessive unless you were in our yard which led us top believe she came in our yard to mess with him

3) i missed him for a long while. his fav food was homemade biscuits and gravy lol

we were out of town visiting my aunt and uncle and we get a call from the shelter saying they have our dog. we ask why and they said he broke off his chain and mauled a girl. they said they were going to sue us if we didnt have him put down.

1) this dog was on the biggest chain Lowes sells and he snapped it

2) he didnt go out of his way to be aggessive unless you were in our yard which led us top believe she came in our yard to mess with him

3) i missed him for a long while. his fav food was homemade biscuits and gravy lol

Man that sucks. I had a German Shepherd/Siberian Husky mix named Cheyenne that I loved. She was a great dog except she liked to chew and was FIERCELY protective over only my Mom, my little chihuahua, and myself. If a friend acted like he was gonna hit me play fighting, she'd growl. If kids got in the yard she'd growl. Never mean unless someone messed with her or us. Otherwise she was great. Ended up giving her away to some friends on some land though, we just felt she didn't have enough room to run around our little house and yard.

You couldn’t possibly know that about someone else’s dog. Most dogs are nice until they flip out and attack.

My neighbor said his German Shepherd wouldn't bite, but we knew for a fact that it bit the UPS driver.

I NEVER trust a "guarantee" that a particular dog won't bite or attack.

How's that? If she was trespassing and provoking the dog I'd think it'd be on her dumb ass.

Nope.

The Animal Planet has an excellent show they run about dog bites. It is narrated by an Attorney that specializes in dog bite cases. Unless someone is attacking you or breaking into your home; you have no defense.

He says he got into by accident because a friend got bit and ask him to take the case. He says you just don’t have a defense.

The big problem is that the people that own these dogs that get loose and bite people usually don’t have to nickels to rub together. So you can sue them all you want; the only one that gets paid is your attorney.