Dangerous Dogs

Guest trigem

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

chihuahua's are more ferocious than pits - pound for pound ....

pits have a bad rap due to their owners ... no doubt you may get a "rogue" pit or any type of breed dog here or there ... when a chihuahua attacks, you don't hear about it - when a pit does, you do.

don't blame the breed for what their owners have done to them - plain and simple -

Nothing personal, just thought it was interesting all the pit videos, couldn't find any other breed represented

They have been many reports of pits injuring their owners and children...

Last year there was an older woman that had 2 pits, one morning she went out to feed them, she tripped and fell,they killed her and had her for breakfast, ( the news said she had raised them from pups...

Fatalities reported in the United States (2005–2009)

Main article: List of fatal dog attacks in the United States

The following table summarizes the number of pit bull-related fatalities in the United States from 2005–2009 as reported by news organizations: This list is by no means reflects all dog attacks, just the ones the news reported

Dog Bite-related Fatalities in the United States.

[44] Year Total Involving pit bull-type dogs

2005 28 17 (62%) 2006 29 15 (52%)

2007 34 18 (53%)

2008 23 15 (65%)

2009 30 14 (47%)

Something else to consider:

Liability insurance

Dog owners in the United States can be held legally liable for injuries inflicted or caused by their dogs. In general, owners are considered liable if they were unreasonably careless in handling or restraining the dog, or if they knew beforehand that the dog had a tendency to cause injury (e.g., bite); however, dog owners are automatically considered liable if local laws hold an owner strictly liable for all damage caused by their dog, regardless of carelessness or foreknowledge of a dog's tendencies. Homeowners and renters insurance policies typically provide liability coverage from US$100,000–300,000 for injuries inflicted by dogs;[56] however, some insurance companies limit their exposure to dog bite liability claims by putting restrictions on dog owners that they insure. These restrictions include refusing to cover dog bites under the insurance policy; increasing insurance rates for homeowners with specific breeds; requiring owners of specific breeds to take special training or have their dogs pass the American Kennel Club Canine Good Citizen test;[57] requiring owners to restrict their dogs with muzzles, chains, or enclosures; and refusing to write policies for homeowners or renters who have specific breeds of dogs.[56] In Ohio, which has declared all pit bull-type dogs to be legally "vicious",[58] the cost of special liability insurance that covers only the damage inflicted by a pit bull-type dog can exceed US$575 per year.[59]

Owners of rental properties may also be held liable if they knew an aggressive dog was living on their property and they did nothing to ensure the safety of other tenants at the property; as a result, many rental properties forbid pit bull-type dogs and any other breeds if the rental property's insurance will not cover damage inflicted by that type of dog. The dog breeds most often targeted by insurance companies include pit bull-type dogs, Rottweilers, German Shepherd Dogs, Doberman Pinschers, Akitas (Akita Inu and American Akita), and Chows.[60]

Edited by trigem

I have had chows, dobermans, a.huskey (considered a dangerous breed as we have been denied apartments cause of her even though she wouldnt hurt a fly), and a boxer. By far the one I would be leary of is my boxer and the chow we had. I was going to get a pit and had her for under an hour except my boxer ripped into her twice. Now let me say, I did not raise my boxer to be this way. I had him socialized and even in puppy day care while I was working. He has never once tried to bite outside of one time when he got into a fight and I grabbed him from behind and he didnt know it was me. I would never give him away as he is extremely loyal to me and a fantastic watch dog and I know he would not think twice about backing down from a threat that enters the house. You only hear about pits because the media hates them. There are more attacks by smaller breeds but you wont hear about that. Cant blame the breed for the owners deed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Guest tnxdshooter

This one time at band camp a pit bull got loose and was terrorizing the children and a girl took out her flute and busted it in the head and it ran off.

dont care what breed if it is so big i cant hold it off with my hands it is a dead dog. ps i was raised with dogs at one time my dad had 30 plus penned or chained. i think he had everything but a doberman. been bit a few times my dad was bitten. when the dog couldnt be controled it was destroyed which didnt happen often. i would never have a problem with a small dog that bit me but the bigger ones i will deal with as the time requires

chihuahua's are more ferocious than pits - pound for pound ....

pits have a bad rap due to their owners ... no doubt you may get a "rogue" pit or any type of breed dog here or there ... when a chihuahua attacks, you don't hear about it - when a pit does, you do.

don't blame the breed for what their owners have done to them - plain and simple -

Yes, some Pits are raised for fighting, more than most, but there is a reason for that. :rolleyes: Pits may not bite more than other breeds but when they do there is usually massive damage or death. Add to that they do bite a lot and it is a recipe for disaster.

Guest ArmyVeteran37214

Jan03_002.jpg

My buddy's Pitbull is one of the nicest dogs I've ever met. I will say that he was raised right. He will protect the home and my buddy if need be. I know this Pitbull won't attack unless prevoked. Any time I go over there, Chance will bark at anyone pulling in the driveway until he figures out who is there. I've known this dog since he was a pup. I'm gonna have a couple Pitbulls eventually. Very loyal and protective breed. Training and Socialization go a long way!