Memphis "Call To Arms" October Meet at MSSA?

Guest jackdm3

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal with the guy on the golf cart? This is the second time that someone has hinted that there may be an issue with this guy. Details please.

MSSA RO's ride around on golf carts. It could have been any one of several RO's. I have been there dozens of times since i have sighned up with no issue. I have seen them bark orders to shooters that cross a cold line with people down range, for non flagged guns, etc. They are fairly strict with their safety rules. Sometimes they come across as short tempered. Not saying kb4ns broke rules.

Guest Halfpint

Michele, I'd be happy to help. :stunned:

Four-hour bump . . . bringing all the 1911's, USP Compact, and the race gun. As always, anybody's welcome to shoot them.

What's the deal with the guy on the golf cart? This is the second time that someone has hinted that there may be an issue with this guy. Details please.
MSSA RO's ride around on golf carts. It could have been any one of several RO's. I have been there dozens of times since i have sighned up with no issue. I have seen them bark orders to shooters that cross a cold line with people down range, for non flagged guns, etc. They are fairly strict with their safety rules. Sometimes they come across as short tempered. Not saying kb4ns broke rules.

Long story short- Went there as a visitor with my wife's step-dad one evening a few years ago. We were the only ones on the range. I was placing rifles (in their cases) on the bench and the toes of my shoes stepped onto the "cold line" (guess that's what it's called?). Some ****** on a golf cart proceeded to yelling at the top of his lungs about how you're never supposed to cross the line and he was going to throw us out if it happened again, and just kept going on and on and on for a good 20 seconds. The wife's step-dad, who has been a member for many, many years, assured it wasn't a problem as he probably wouldn't be back and he damn sure wasn't going to bring a guest back or ever recommend the club to anyone else after such treatment. Was I supposed to step on the line? Probably not. Were there at least half a dozen better ways he could have handled the situation, especially given the fact that there weren't even firearms removed from their cases on the range and I never actually "crossed" the line? Absolutely. Will I be giving them my hard earned money just to go out there and deal with that kind of douchebaggery? Absolutely not!

Long story short- Went there as a visitor with my wife's step-dad one evening a few years ago. We were the only ones on the range. I was placing rifles (in their cases) on the bench and the toes of my shoes stepped onto the "cold line" (guess that's what it's called?). Some ****** on a golf cart proceeded to yelling at the top of his lungs about how you're never supposed to cross the line and he was going to throw us out if it happened again, and just kept going on and on and on for a good 20 seconds. The wife's step-dad, who has been a member for many, many years, assured it wasn't a problem as he probably wouldn't be back and he damn sure wasn't going to bring a guest back or ever recommend the club to anyone else after such treatment. Was I supposed to step on the line? Probably not. Were there at least half a dozen better ways he could have handled the situation, especially given the fact that there weren't even firearms removed from their cases on the range and I never actually "crossed" the line? Absolutely. Will I be giving them my hard earned money just to go out there and deal with that kind of douchebaggery? Absolutely not!

I can't blame you for being pissed. If no one was down range, then there is no reason for a cold line. I would have reported him to the club manager. That is not the norm. I have never seen any RO act like that. Just like any facility, there can be jerks/power junkies that make it thru the hiring process. Please don't hold it against all of the ROs at MSSA. Every RO i have dealt with since i signed up have been very helpful and polite. Cold line or not, if a RO treated my guest like that, the RO would have to explain his actions to the club manager.

Sorry i missed the meet. I had some honey do's.

Guest FroggyOne2

Well, I would just like to say thanks to Doug Fletcher and Joe Sturdivant of MSSA for running a great match! It was too bad that it got shortened a lil on sunday due to the rain. We had a great turn out of 51 competitors that showed up.. there was a real battle going on in the prone division! Phillip Crowe of Ala. shot a perfect score with his Tubb T2K chambered in 6XC on sat and only dropped two points on sun at 300 yards.. cleaned the 500.. his score was good enough to win the overall prone championship.. Frank Beckman of Knoxville shooting a .284 Winchester won the Tennessee State Resident Championship in F-Class Open Division. Doug Fletcher shooting a Savage chambered in 6BR won the State Resident Championship Prone Division.. I came second in the State Shooting a .223 boltgun and Matt Kubic of Chattanooga shooting a .308 palma rifle came in Third.. We had a great match and wonderful pulled pork BBQ at the Gazebo after the match on Sat. I want to thank Doug and Joe for running a great match and I look forward to going again..

As for the complaints about RO's.. yes I guess a person could get a lil zealous about their job as a RO.. but remember people.. at the range as anywhere else.. it is always safety first, last and always.. participants at a range are not perfect either.. and if you get your feelings hurt because of an RO whom is looking out for YOUR best interest and safety.. then maybe you don't belong there in the first place.. in fact the way I see it.. we are all RO's and must be digilant in the safety of others!

Well, I would just like to say thanks to Doug Fletcher and Joe Sturdivant of MSSA for running a great match! It was too bad that it got shortened a lil on sunday due to the rain. We had a great turn out of 51 competitors that showed up.. there was a real battle going on in the prone division! Phillip Crowe of Ala. shot a perfect score with his Tubb T2K chambered in 6XC on sat and only dropped two points on sun at 300 yards.. cleaned the 500.. his score was good enough to win the overall prone championship.. Frank Beckman of Knoxville shooting a .284 Winchester won the Tennessee State Resident Championship in F-Class Open Division. Doug Fletcher shooting a Savage chambered in 6BR won the State Resident Championship Prone Division.. I came second in the State Shooting a .223 boltgun and Matt Kubic of Chattanooga shooting a .308 palma rifle came in Third.. We had a great match and wonderful pulled pork BBQ at the Gazebo after the match on Sat. I want to thank Doug and Joe for running a great match and I look forward to going again..

As for the complaints about RO's.. yes I guess a person could get a lil zealous about their job as a RO.. but remember people.. at the range as anywhere else.. it is always safety first, last and always.. participants at a range are not perfect either.. and if you get your feelings hurt because of an RO whom is looking out for YOUR best interest and safety.. then maybe you don't belong there in the first place.. in fact the way I see it.. we are all RO's and must be digilant in the safety of others!

you can alwasy get your point across without screaming or trying to make someone feel stupid.

Guest FroggyOne2
Jack is no longer a member on TGO.

The meet is still on for all that want to attend.

Now why is that?.. I didn't see anything that he posted that was out of the way! MM.. did he say something to you in a private message.. where it should be? Did you ban him because of that?

Now why is that?.. I didn't see anything that he posted that was out of the way! MM.. did he say something to you in a private message.. where it should be? Did you ban him because of that?

You're not going to get an answer in public other than that he violated forum rules.

Now why is that? He violated forum rules.

I didn't see anything that he posted that was out of the way! That's nice.

MM.. did he say something to you in a private message.. where it should be? Nope. I haven't had any communications with him, other than general public banter on the forums, since the last Memphis meet.

Did you ban him because of that? Why would you ASSUME that I banned him? Nothing points to that conclusion. I just let the Memphis members know what was going on since Jack was the guy that "organized" our monthly meets. Is this a Shoot the messenger type scenario?

I bet that all of them don't do it like that do they.. or was it that it took some screaming to get the point accross?

I have met KB4NS and many others here have as well, I know of no one having issues with him. I have have seen many posts and many deals on the classifieds, none of which has anyone had issue with him. I will take the man's word.

I think i am going to stop reading this thread. The meet is over and the thread is off topic. lol.

hopefully i can be at the next meet.

Edited by gotigers