Thinking about carrying the Makarov.

K191145

Last Wednesday my nefew and I went to the range at the Cheatham WMA. The last Goodman show I bought 3 boxes of Silver Bear 9x18 Makarov ammo (Russian made) for $12 per box. Aluminum case, cheaply made and dirty. I shot about 125 rounds of that and a mag of some pricy Hornaday HP's I had to see how they cycled. Accuracy was decent for me at 25 yards, I'm sure the gun is more accurate than I am now, at least I can keep all rounds in an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of printer paper at 25 yards with no bench rest. Also the ballistics i've read on the 9x18 are somewhat better than the .380. What makes me want to carry my Makarov is it's much lighter and more compact than my G-21, that goes without saying, also it has NEVER malfunctioned no matter what crappy ammo i've fed it and it's been shot alot since my sister owned it for a few years before I bought it from her. Reliability is the most important aspect in a defensive handgun IMO. The Makarov is a no frills Walter PPK copy, not the best trigger and small sites but I kinda like the DA/SA feature and I have the confidence that it will fire and cycle every time I pull the trigger. I kept a mag of Hornaday HP's for carry and have some Wolf ammo for an extra mag, I'll get another box of Hornaday's later on.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you gonna use the flap holster?;)

I've got it in a cheap Uncle Mikes soft holster, nothing fancy but it works. I bet I can find a leather holster for a Walter or Bersha that will work for it. A couple of years ago my mom went to a yard sale and bought a holster for $2, it was a green canvas military flap holster. I didn't want to laugh but it was cool just for the collector aspect of it but low and behold it only fits one gun I have, the Makarov. It would never fall out of it that's for sure but would take 15 seconds to draw the gun.

Guest BEARMAN
I like the Makarov too. They are a great pistol, and you cant beat the price.

Kind regards,

Leroy

^^^^^ What Leroy said.

You can't beat the quality for the price, with the Makarov. IMHO.

I would say that in it's price range, your Russian Makarov kicks everything else's butzky. I know I'd love to see some pics..... :drama:

I only have this one, my camera isn't the best at taking close ups. I really couldn't beat the price of that Makarov, my sister sold it to me for the $5 range permit we got one day at the range.:D

Makarov.jpg

Thanks for the pic. I was thinking that she sold it to you for what she paid for it when they were a steal. The rear sight looks like it may be a little sharp/obtrusive for IWB carry. Still MUCH easier to carry than a G21. Best carry gun ever? No. A good size, dependable, quality sidearm. Yes. A Makarov and a Chinese 9mmTokarev are still on my list of regrets. I had no idea that American companies offered 9X18mm HP's. However, I'm not sure I'd want to carry any pistol with HP's, if I'd only put a few through. Maybe a HP in the chamber folowed by FMJs until it's proved itself. Beautiful pistol. Made for fighting(slightly modified for importation). Will outlast all of us. Gotta respect Russian arms:)

I have never heard anything bad about a Makarov. Very sturdy pistol indeed. The Russians have always manufactured very dependable firearms. Kevo, I too wish I'd invested in a couple of Comm Block weapons when they were available cheap.

$5 may be the best deal I've ever heard of, short of a relative giving someone something for free!

The Silver Bear JHP ammo compares very favorably with much more expensive hollowpoints. And if you have to use in self-defense, nobody is going to care about the little brown cloud from the powder smoke. Ballistically, the 9x18 Makarov cartridge is about halfway between .380 and 9x19mm Luger. The Makarov pistol is an excellent CCW pistol.

Maks are pretty nice pistol's and I've known a couple of fellow's who carried them as off duty/back up pistol's, one of them even had a pretty nice ankle holster set up. FWIW if you go this route with the Mak you might find a good OWB high rise holster will better serve your need's and I'd steer clear of the Wolf and other stuff for carry ammunition.

OP - the Silver Bear is zinc plated steelcase, not aluminum.

I carry either the Polish P64 or Czech CZ-82; many rounds of Silver Bear, and a few Brown Bear thru these, with no problems. One stovepipe in the 1st CZ, before a thorough cleaning.

I've seen nothing to justify the extra cost of Hornady in the 9x18 Makarov.

IMO IIRC YMMV IANAL

So, where the heck are you guys finding 9X18 JHP ammo? I've hit several of the most recent gunshows and all the dealers say, "I'm out of them. I've got some on order." I've checked the local (and some not so local) gun shops and I either get, "I'm sold out but trying to get some more," or "We have the FMJs but don't stock JHPs."

I have other firearms that I can carry but I just like my CZ vz.82 so darned much and it is just so darned easy to shoot accurately that I would like to add it to my carry options. I don't like the idea of carrying FMJ ammo, though.

I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online - especially when S&H is as expensive as it is with ammo. I won't be buying in bulk so it really isn't worth it unless I just can't find any JHPs anywhere else. Since I have other handguns that carry well, my plan right now is just to wait it out until I can find some in person.

So, where the heck are you guys finding 9X18 JHP ammo? I've hit several of the most recent gunshows and all the dealers say, "I'm out of them. I've got some on order." I've checked the local (and some not so local) gun shops and I either get, "I'm sold out but trying to get some more," or "We have the FMJs but don't stock JHPs."

I have other firearms that I can carry but I just like my CZ vz.82 so darned much and it is just so darned easy to shoot accurately that I would like to add it to my carry options. I don't like the idea of carrying FMJ ammo, though.

I'm not crazy about ordering stuff online - especially when S&H is as expensive as it is with ammo. I won't be buying in bulk so it really isn't worth it unless I just can't find any JHPs anywhere else. Since I have other handguns that carry well, my plan right now is just to wait it out until I can find some in person.

FYI: To ease your mind on online ordering: Aim has Silver Bear HP $10.95 per box - my last order shipping was $13.94 on $123.10 worth of various calibers. And prompt: ordered on Tuesday, in my hands on Friday.