Ruger Mini 14 and its reliability and parts

tercel89

I currently have a Bushmaster AR that I use and use it at work . I am wondering about the reliability of the Mini 14 .

I did a search and it came up with all kinds of stuf .

I just want to know this : Is it reliable ? Is it piston driven ? Is it a better gun then the AR type guns that use the action to have it gas go through ?

Last , how about taking it apart as compared to the AR15 ?

Thanks in advance .

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's reliable. Basically a Garand style action. There's a piston at the gas block that drives the operating rod, which drives the bolt. It doesn't blow gas directly into the action like an AR.

I have had one problem with mine. In damp weather, the piston can glue itself to the operating rod if you don't clean it before you put it up. The stainless rifles don't have the problem. Takedown is simple. Unsnap the trigger guard, pull the trigger group out, and then remove the barreled action from the top of the stock.

I like the AR platform a little better, but the mini is a good gun

I have had many Mini-14's and they are very good rifles. Advantages are reliability, it is a Garand type action as stated like a M1 or M14, all steel construction and it is simple to operate. I like the safety inside the trigger guard also. However, there are a lot of downsides to the system which is why I used to own mini-14's. They are not very accurate nor do they lend themselves to being accurized easily. I always called mine "minute of man" to 250 yards. Good quality mags are much more expensive than AR mags. The only ones I really trust are the factory mags but I have had some luck with aftermarket. Lastly, you are locked into the barrel and caliber as the rifle is not modular like an AR. No swapping uppers from shorty's to HBB Varmints. No drop in match triggers, etc. Unless I get one cheap to play with, I don't plan on getting another one.

I have had many Mini-14's and they are very good rifles. Advantages are reliability, it is a Garand type action as stated like a M1 or M14, all steel construction and it is simple to operate. I like the safety inside the trigger guard also. However, there are a lot of downsides to the system which is why I used to own mini-14's. They are not very accurate nor do they lend themselves to being accurized easily. I always called mine "minute of man" to 250 yards. Good quality mags are much more expensive than AR mags. The only ones I really trust are the factory mags but I have had some luck with aftermarket. Lastly, you are locked into the barrel and caliber as the rifle is not modular like an AR. No swapping uppers from shorty's to HBB Varmints. No drop in match triggers, etc. Unless I get one cheap to play with, I don't plan on getting another one.

They have really improved the accuracy in their latest generation. My 16" mini has shot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards. easily as accurate as my 16" AR.

EDIT: I agree on the cost of mags.

The only problem I've had with my Mini 14 6.8 SPC is the difficulty of finding magazines. Ruger only offers a five round magazine for it. Pro-mag finally made some 10 and 20 round mags.

I have a bunch of promag 30 rounders for my .223 mini. haven't ever used one. They kinda came with the gun. I always use my Ruger mags.

Parts are indeed problematic, though.

Very little available except through Ruger.

Firing pin is prime example...whether Minis break more than their fair share seems debatable, but what's not in question is that there's only one source for them, and Ruger won't simply send you one; you have to send whole rifle in for one to be fitted, AND they'll only fit the one. The couple of 3rd party pins that are made are pretty much universally conceded to be junk.

- OS

Parts are indeed problematic, though.

Very little available except through Ruger.

Firing pin is prime example...whether Minis break more than their fair share seems debatable, but what's not in question is that there's only one source for them, and Ruger won't simply send you one; you have to send whole rifle in for one to be fitted, AND they'll only fit the one. The couple of 3rd party pins that are made are pretty much universally conceded to be junk.

- OS

It's kinda the Mac vs PC deal (Mac the computer ;))