Help me pick a fixed blade

I'm looking for a good fixed blade to put on my plate carrier. It'll be used for everything from eating to hopefully cutting det cord.

I really like this XM-7 EOD Knife

IMG_3860.JPG

And this EESE-5

esee-5.jpg

And this Son of Dogfather

SOD3_med.jpg

Anyone have any experiences with any of these knives or suggestions on any similar to them?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it is any help. The Tanto style blade has become my favorite. I use one at work and play. The tanto has two edges that are flat. It makes it very easy to sharpen and hone. It has two points. The sharp point at the end and a wide angled point between the two edges. For me, it's the most versatile blade. I do not like serrated edges unless it's a steak knife.

Guest mosinon
If it is any help. The Tanto style blade has become my favorite. I use one at work and play. The tanto has two edges that are flat. It makes it very easy to sharpen and hone. It has two points. The sharp point at the end and a wide angled point between the two edges. For me, it's the most versatile blade. I do not like serrated edges unless it's a steak knife.

I think you need to buy better steaks....

I agree, I don't like serrations at all. There are a lot of knives I'd be all over if they weren't serrated.

When it comes to sturdy I'm partial to any of the Scrapyard/Swamp Rat knives, they're as close to indestructible as it gets in a knife. Have never held the ESEE but it looks to be a nice choice.

Guest RiseMechanical

You might also check out Busse knives too. They make some beastly gear and its guaranteed for life. I believe the Steel Heart is still one of the best knives you can get.

Edited by RiseMechanical

Hmm, no mention of your price point. For me, the standard of comparison is the military-spec Marine Corps Combat knife (Kabar). If it's not any better than a Kabar, why bother? Add in the price point. If you shop around, you can find a brand-new Kabar (Camillus and Ontario Knife are also milspec) for about $50.

The only reason I would pass on the Kabar is the grip. The stacked leather washers were the best thing available forty years ago. Now, I'd go with pressed Micarta. But that raises your price point significantly. You can buy several Kabars for the price of one custom knife.

If you decide to go custom, Walter Brend is the guru. The Brend Rescue 2 is probably the best bargain around today. A totally hand-made custom knife by a world-renowned master for $800.

Walter Brend Handmade Knives » Blog Archive » BRENDMADE New Survival Knives Project: January 2009 The Rescue 1 and Rescue 2

If you want to save a few bucks, Walters protege is Bobby Branton. Last I heard Bobby will make a licensed Brend #2 knife for $550. Walter grinds the blade, and Bobby does the rest. I have knives from both Walter and Bobby, and they are the best I have ever found. I bought my first Brend #2 in 1985, and after many adventures it's still the best knife I have ever seen. The #2 Brend I recently got from Bobby is just as nice.

Branton Knives and Custom Knives

... the standard of comparison is the military-spec Marine Corps Combat knife (Kabar)....

The only reason I would pass on the Kabar is the grip. The stacked leather washers were the best thing available forty years ago....

Note that they make the same mil spec fighting/utility knife with Kraton G grip too, in black and green, which really beats the leather hands down,probably last as long as the steel does.

1211_large.jpg

- OS

Amazon.com: Gerber 22-01400 LMF II Survival Knife - Coyote Brown: Home Improvement I have one of these and it has answered the call for me.

I have one of these as well and got it after quite a bit of research looking for a good all-around survival knife. It's a very good jack-of-all-trades kind of knife, which is what it was intended for. The fellow on www.knifetests.com Home does destruction tests on various knives and found that the Gerber held up well. It also has a nice sheath that has a set of ceramic sharpening rods incorporated into it. I would prefer if it didn't have the serrations on the blade, but the purpose of them is to cut through the aluminum skin on aircraft so aircrews can escape.

The top ratings on the knifetests.com site generally go to the Busse knives and Fallkniven knives. It's a great site to see what these blades can hold up to. He starts with some basic tests of the cutting edge, chopping ability, and durability under what you would expect to see in a real survival situation. Then he goes over the top to see how much these things can handle before total failure (including busting concrete and chopping through steel).

Edited by East_TN_Patriot

I have used Entrek, ESEE, and Tops in ways that would be considered abuse and can endorse any of them. While the Brend Rescue 2 I just received is very impressive I think you'll find the 5 inch knives to be handier tools.

• 2 weeks later...
I have used Entrek, ESEE, and Tops in ways that would be considered abuse and can endorse any of them. While the Brend Rescue 2 I just received is very impressive I think you'll find the 5 inch knives to be handier tools.

I was driving back to SC from Knoxville this weekend and stopped in Smokey Mountain Knife Works, after handling the ESEE-4 I asked to see the 5 out of curiosity. I left ten minutes later with the ESEE-5. I've been pretty happy with it so far but I haven't had any chances to abuse it yet. We've got Mojave Viper in late January so we'll see how it handles it's first big test. I'll try to get some pictures soon.

Guest claysaw17

aside from those, i'd say a USMC style Ka-Bar. i know that sounds generic, but it's honestly probably the best knife you can get for $50-$60 (if you're buying online that is). 7" 1095 carbon steel blade, 5" stacked leather handle with a steel butt cap. used by modern military, very durable. images%3Fq%3Dusmc%2Bka%2Bbar%26hl%3Den%26biw%3D1024%26bih%3D677%26gbv%3D2%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=658&vpy=95&dur=3697&hovh=155&hovw=325&tx=189&ty=123&ei=IaHtTK29GsKclgezlaCCCg&oei=IaHtTK29GsKclgezlaCCCg&esq=1&page=1&ndsp=20&ved=1t:429,r:4,s:0