Belts, Nylon or leather?

Guest carbonarcher

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Resurrection time. Just ordered my new leather bull-hide cordovan belt from beltman!

I want to walk into a local store and find the belt in my size on the rack, lol. I DESPISE ordering a fitted item online. Cant find one that I like AND in my size, lol. Found a Wilderness made one at the Outpost, with a Cobra made buckle that was awesome, but of course they didnt have one in my size.

Edited by barewoolf
I want to walk into a local store and find the belt in my size on the rack, lol. I DESPISE ordering a fitted item online.

Funny, I was like that until recently, unless I knew my size and how the particular item fit already. I have recently taken the plunge and ordered two pair of shoes on onlineshoes.com, one brand, I have never worn, and another I have, but not this model. They fit great. He is very, very specific and gives great directions on how to measure the belt. He tailors to folks that carry guns, and yes, IWB, so his instructions are specific to that. I feel good about it, and from the reviews on here, doesn't seem like I can go wrong. I'll update once I get the belt, they take 30 days or so to get to you due to they are custom made once you order.

I long ago gave up on "store bought" belts. I buy the blanks (1 1/2" Leather w/snaps installed) from Tandy. I then punch the big oblong holes with a #9 Oblong Punch Die and install a stainless steel roller bar buckle. I wear chinos, cords and Carpenter Jeans so I have 1 1/2" loops on all of my trousers. I hold the whole rig up with Perry Suspenders. I pocket carry and this keeps the "saggies" away. Been doing this for years.

Leather - the type with a double row of holes and a buckle with two tines. Made by Dickies and costs about ten or twelve bucks at the Dickies outlet. I carry OWB and it does a good job of keeping even my P95 in place. With lighter/less bulky guns in my carry rotation (a .357 snub in a homemade leather holster or, in t-shirt and shorts weather, a P3AT in a FOBUS) it does even better.

I have seen similar style belts elsewhere - and some might have even had the 'Dickies' brand on them - but those all seem flimsly and collapse/fold easily when pinched across the width of the belt between thumb and forefinger. The kind I get at the Dickies outlet are stiffer and, even after wearing it everyday for a year or so, mine still holds up pretty well. I'm not going to claim that it will last the rest of my life (at least I hope I live longer than that) but for the price I can stand to buy a new one every year or two.

Erik, I'd wager that if you got yourself a high quality leather holster and a matching double layer leather belt, you'd forget all about the nylon and plastic stuff.

I'm very happy with the belt Greg made for me... I'd consider him for any custom holsters I may need in the future.... If I wasn't so afraid that he'll make fun of my plastic guns.....

I'm very happy with the belt Greg made for me... I'd consider him for any custom holsters I may need in the future.... If I wasn't so afraid that he'll make fun of my plastic guns.....

Thanks. I wasn't trying to promote my wares, I was just saying thatI believe good gunleather can't be replaced with Kydex or nylon, and if someone hasn't tried quality leather gear, they don't know what they're missing....regardless of manufacturer.

Erik, I'd wager that if you got yourself a high quality leather holster and a matching double layer leather belt, you'd forget all about the nylon and plastic stuff.

I wasn't trying to put down leather. I'd LOVE to have a leather belt. I was just wondering how he can say that leather will out last nylon. Maybe, maybe not.

And Greg, you seem to be old school(nothing wrong with that) but I would wager that despite your love of fine leather, you might see that a strong nylon belt can be appropriate at times when leather wouldn't. (dirty, wet environments. etc).

Again, I think both leather and nylon have advantages, each suitable for different jobs. Not trying to start a debate.

I'm torn on this debate. I like my rigger's belt with kydex liner a lot. It's stiff enough not to sag, but thin enough not to stretch metal holster clips. On the other hand, leather is just more versatile. I can wear it places I wouldn't want to wear a nylon belt. I have a very rugged ranger belt from SportsmansGuide.com ($20) and a fairly decent belt from Bianchi ($35). Neither are as nice as what Gregg is talking about, but they work good for me and I can afford them.

I hold the whole rig up with Perry Suspenders. I pocket carry and this keeps the "saggies" away. Been doing this for years.

I just recently discovered the Perry Suspenders and they are great. I tuck in a tshirt strap up and pull a polo on over them and nobody at work knows I'm wearing them.

• 1 month later...

At the Nashville Fairgrounds Gun SHow in March, I saw a new belt vender. He had belts and a few other leather items, but I found one belt in my size that was a black THICK bullhide that was the thickest I had seen. The width was what I wanted, had a removable stainless steel buckle and I got it for $35.00. The guy makes them himself up in Indiana, and come to the gun show here when he visits relatives who live near here. Time will tell if it holds up well, but its absolutely the strongest leather belt Ive seen, and at a cost MUCH less than any Ive seen of that caliber.