Why people don't buy locally.

I went to a local gun shop yesterday to browse and pick up a few things. This shop happens to be in Lebanon. Saw that they had Kroil in the 8oz can. I'd heard good things about Kroil so I bought a can. It was expensive, but I expect to pay a dollar or two more in a local store. It was $16.99 a can plus tax.

Today a friend calls and says, "Check out the new Midway flyer that came today. The Kroil you bought yesterday is on sale for $7.59. Turns out the regular retail price is only $9.49. The manufacturer sells it in Nashville for $7 a can.

So, to support a local gun shop, I paid a "premium" of $9.99. That's quite a markup!

Yes, I should have done my homework and researched the price before I went in. But, I figured I'd have to pay an extra dollar or two for the convenience of buying locally.

This same store was $4 a pound higher on Accurate powder than at the Reloaders Bench that I had just come from. And I told them so.

Conclusions

It is a nice store with nice employees.

I probably will go back(but will price check before I go).

Don't buy Kroil there.

Just my $.02

There, I feel better now.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just checked Midway.

Special Sale Price = $7.59

Special handling fee = $3.00

Shipping UPS = $10.62

______

Total = $21.21

And I can have it by November 1!

Not so great a deal if you only need the oil, I think.

Edited by Northface
Just checked Midway.

Special Sale Price = $7.59

Special handling fee = $3.00

Shipping UPS = $10.62

______

Total = $21.21

And I can have it by November 1!

Not so great a deal if you only need the oil, I think.

Mike - This is why people still buy locally. Total inability to do smart shopping. If it is over $30 you don't have to pay the special handling. If the total order is less than 25 pounds or so....the shipping will be exactly the same.

So yes...anyone silly enough to place one order for a can of Kroil to midway deserves to get the money screwed out of them. If you do your shopping in one order, shop the deals, and take advantage of no tax you can beat local retail 30 - 50% easy.

I don't know about the specifics of the store you mentioned, but one of the things that kills us (meaning, at the store where I work) is buying through distributors. Some or maybe all manufacturers sell to large volume retailers at a much better price that we can get things for, even directly.

For instance, a box of ammo that you can buy at Wal-Mart for $11.95 literally costs us $12.00 a box from the manufacturer, or even a little more from a distributor, then they add shipping which is usually 50 cents to a dollar a box on average, and the ten cent ammo tax. Even to make just a couple of dollars markup per box, we have to sell it for $16 or $17.

Another really big issue is guns. There are high volume online places that sell guns new including shipping literally for less than it costs us to purchase the same gun wholesale prices.

. Some or maybe all manufacturers sell to large volume retailers at a much better price that we can get things for, even directly.

Yep ! Its that way with everything example My wife buys coke products from grocery store because its MUCH cheaper than buying from the coke delivery.

This is the reason Mom & pops are being run out of business. When the "walmarts" of the country have all the business they can control what you're able to buy and how much you pay for it.

Ever stop at walmart for " something " but didn't have it but something similar. Not exactly what you wanted but "similar"

Sorry didn't mean to go here

Edited by laktrash
And who can just order one item from Midway? I can't.

The shipping from Midway seems to be set up to around $100. Maybe a little more. So, order more than $25 worth of stuff, no special handling fee. Take advantage of shipping rates and add on a few more goodies for the same rate. Work the sales ($15 of $100 right now).

The shipping from Midway seems to be set up to around $100. Maybe a little more. So, order more than $25 worth of stuff, no special handling fee. Take advantage of shipping rates and add on a few more goodies for the same rate. Work the sales ($15 of $100 right now).

I'm a big Midway fan, but lately, I've found better pricing on certain items elsewhere. Sometimes the difference is significant. I'll always buy from them, just gonna watch the pricing a little closer.

I've always thought that the biggest thing hurting local gunstores (vs buying on the internet) was sales tax.

Tithing to the government (9.75% in Rutherford Co) on a $500-1500 gun sucks ass and is usually more than shipping and transfer fees related to an internet purchase.

I've always thought that the biggest thing hurting local gunstores (vs buying on the internet) was sales tax.

Tithing to the government (9.75% in Rutherford Co) on a $500-1500 gun sucks ass and is usually more than shipping and transfer fees related to an internet purchase.

Me too. Shipping is always less, and you don't burn any gas. I still like buying guns locally. Almost all my accessories are bought online.

I went to a local gun shop yesterday to browse and pick up a few things. This shop happens to be in Lebanon. Saw that they had Kroil in the 8oz can. I'd heard good things about Kroil so I bought a can. It was expensive, but I expect to pay a dollar or two more in a local store. It was $16.99 a can plus tax.

doublefacepalmh.jpg

Farrar Bros. Hardware on Broad across from the Kmart has it for future reference.

Kroil has been around for many, many years. My dad was a mechanical engineer that graduated from GA Tech back in the late 50's and he loved the stuff. That was always good enough for my simple brain.

I have to say. One of the main reasons I don't buy locally anymore is the gunstore attitude. I want to support locals but if you are going to act like I am bothering you then I will buy online.

True.

I've gotten that from more than one store in the MidTN area.

Guest Travtastik
I have to say. One of the main reasons I don't buy locally anymore is the gunstore attitude. I want to support locals but if you are going to act like I am bothering you then I will buy online.

Seems to be the issue I have around here. Its rare that I get a hello or anything that says that they know I walked in. No one wants to show me anything, but I always get a "come back soon" when I leave.

It seems to me that the biggest problem with the "homegrown gunstore" vs "internet store" are the issues of price, inventory, and sales tax. I been watchin and buying gun stuff for about 35 years now; and ive come to the conclusion that the mom and pop local folks just cant compete with folks that have a large inventory and lots of cash. The local guys simply cant buy the "consumables" like primers, powder, cleaning stuff, bullets, kroil as cheap as the big guys can. Once they mark it up to a liveable (...for them profit margin...), they price themselves out of the range where most folks that buy that stuff regularly are willing to pay (...except where friendships or convenience issues are involved...). Said another way, a guy may run down to his buddy's place and pay $4 or $5 more for a pound of powder to load his hunting rounds for a year. He wont (...at least i wont...) buy 8 lb of powder, 1000 bullets, and 5000 primers at those prices. He will order them where they are the best deal.

I'm far more apt to buy used stuff (...firearms...) from the local guys (....assuming the price is right; and he is a good guy or gal...) than consumable stuff you need regularly. I'd like to help the local guys as much as i can (...if they are worthy; some arent...). But it's just hard to do when you consider the cost and convenience difference. Sadly, many mom and pop operations cant make it on the occasional purchase.

It would be nice if some of you gun store entrepeneurs would wade in on this issue. Let us know what you think.

Leroy

....I don't have a problem paying a little more for an item at a "mom and pop" store. Especially if they are nice folks. I'll pay right up to and including MSRP. It's when I feel I've been really screwed that I get mad and won't go back. ...

I understand. We got one of 'em here too. Made one trip; wont go back. Didnt buy anything (...im a skinflint!!...). I always walk around, look at the prices and ask dumb questions. If i dont get the right answers i just tootle on out.

Leroy

I understand. We got one of 'em here too. Made one trip; wont go back. Didnt buy anything (...im a skinflint!!...). I always walk around, look at the prices and ask dumb questions. If i dont get the right answers i just tootle on out.

Leroy

I don't think most of us are anywhere close to the average gun buyer these days. I would think that most go out and buy a single handgun for personal protection, or a "deer rifle". They may or may not read the book or actually shoot it. They probably don't just take it out and play with it like I do :(. I don't really expect the locals to stock some of the stuff I buy.

I've had real good luck buying guns locally, even though I always have a specific model or two in mind.

If I get some "gun store attitude" or stupidity, I usually don't go back. Too many good gun shops in town to put up with either.

It's related to what I said earlier. If I could buy guns for my store at the prices some of the online places apparently can, I could sell the guns at a price that would make it worthwhile to buy locally. But when a gun at an online store is $550 including shipping, and my cost to buy the gun is $540 plus shipping, I can't have a good price. Just to make $40, I'm already $60 higher than the online store. It doesn't happen with every gun, but it's common.

I bought one gun from one place and got screwed but it was my fault for not researching it, but i still wont buy another gun from there again. one thing too is most mom and pop places wont carry powder etc in stores is because there is an additional insurance premium needed to carry that stuff and it isnt cheap. so if they do carry they have to raise the prices to cover that additional cost. it sucks that the gun stores i want to do business with are on the other side of the state. maybe they should move here LOL

I only sell reloading supplies and it is sometimes hard to match midways price but most of the time it can be done

The biggest thing is sales tax in TN Keep in mind when you order fron midway powder and primers cannot be in the same box

I used to order lots of powder from midway but shipping got outrages I now go pick mine up to save shipping but had to

buy lots of ins. and get a US dot number midway doesnt ship powder it is shipped by Western or Hodgdon or ATK

same with primers they are shipped by the mfg hard to compete with that but I normaly have it in stock so you can take it with you

I try to buy localy when I can Itry to shop at mom and pop places when I can I dont go to walmart or lowes or home depot

I dont type too good so I am sorry for the typos .just my 2 cents worth

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up to the original post.

I got a PM from the owner of the shop. He said that he had priced the Kroil wrong. He told me if I would come by the shop, that he would take care of it. I think that says a lot for the integrity of this shop owner.

I do plan on shopping at his store in the future.