Parking Lot carry exemption

Guest General_Mayhem

back to the point at hand. I wouldnt get ready to think any pro gun bills are automatic just because the GOP has total control. Get a anti Speaker and were totally dead in the water in committees and in getting bills to the floor... just like Naife.

Another problem is whos going to carry these bills now? There were lots of Very Pro 2nd amendment Democrats that carried them in the past that got hammered or beaten. There were also several that won but barely, and honestly are kinda miffed they didnt get any help from the NRA/TFA. Seeing as we had all this negative media attention with Haslems comments about guns there are going to be more legislative members weary of going out on a limb and sponsoring any gun legislation when the public is demanding something being done about our states economy and jobs.

Time will tell.

All good points...

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something like what was passed in Virginia last year?

HB885 Patron: Clifford L. Athey, Jr.

Possession of concealed weapons in vehicles. Creates a new exemption to the general prohibition against carrying concealed weapons by allowing a person who may lawfully possess a firearm to carry a handgun in a private motor vehicle or vessel if the handgun is secured in a container or compartment.

This bill allows anyone who may lawfully possess firearm, to carry a handgun secured in a container or compartment in a vehicle or vessel.

So the question becomes then, how do you craft the linkage between the features of TN law that allow possession (w/o a permit) within the confines of your home to such a bill as above. VA was easier, in that there are already allowances to allow people to legally possess without a permit...the exception above is specific to the prohibition againsst concealed carry..

NOTE: I was not a police officer in Tennessee, so I really don't know the answer to this.

If your car isn't like your home in Tennessee then why is breaking into a car referred to as burglary in this state? Where I'm from it's simply theft and property damage.

Also, the "castle defense" presumption that deadly force was justified has been extended to your vehicle under TN law.

Of course, it has only been extended to those who have an HCP, as anyone else's life is obviously not worth defending in a vehicle.

- OS

Also, the "castle defense" presumption that deadly force was justified has been extended to your vehicle under TN law.

Of course, it has only been extended to those who have an HCP, as anyone else's life is obviously not worth defending in a vehicle.

- OS

Why would that matter? In Tennessee if you are justified in using deadly force it doesn’t matter if you are lawfully in possession.

Does anyone remeber who sponsored 3141, it was a close friend of mine thats a Dem and he found himself in a heated race where he barely won. There were lots of Very Pro 2nd amendment Democrats that carried bills like this in the past that got hammered or beaten. There were also several that won but barely, and honestly are kinda miffed they didnt get any help from the NRA/TFA. Seeing as we had all this negative media attention with Haslems comments about guns there are going to be more legislative members weary of going out on a limb and sponsoring any gun legislation when the public is demanding something being done about our states economy and jobs.

You can look at it from the other side, too. If he were not known to be pro-2A, he might very well have lost. Would you have voted for him?

Why would that matter? In Tennessee if you are justified in using deadly force it doesn’t matter if you are lawfully in possession.

OhShoot has a valid point. You are justified in using deadly force to defend yourself, but up until the point where you did that you were breaking the law by being armed. Kinda silly.

You can look at it from the other side, too. If he were not known to be pro-2A, he might very well have lost. Would you have voted for him?

I know and agree 100%, he probably won because he was so 2nd friendly, but my point was the 2nd amendment lobby didnt help him... nor Sen. Jackson. Kinda got some folks scrathing their heads. Honestly no one including myself thought these races would even be close, nor did we think any of them needed help... so thats on myself as much as anyone. What im seeing is there were a large amount of people that just voted Republican right down the ticket... Satan himself could have won some of those races if he had a "R" next to his name. People were just so frustrated they didnt care.

See ShortRound's retort.

You shouldn't have to be a criminal 99.9 % of the time so that you can legally defend yourself the .1 of the time.

- OS

See ShortRound's retort.

You shouldn't have to be a criminal 99.9 % of the time so that you can legally defend yourself the .1 of the time.

- OS

Yep. It kind of undermines your ability to be law abiding and defending yourself at the same time.

But it isn't just silly, it can make a dangerous situation arise when one should be cut and dry.

• 2 weeks later...

I personally don't have a problem with the HCP system. I do have a problem with the fact that you have to pay money to exercise a constitutional right. The permit should be free and it should also waive any background check fee's when purchasing a firearm. I think the background check and training course are fine and should be mandatory so that people who assume the responsibility know the laws involved. I can definately see the police officer view of the situation and understand thier side of it, however the argument in that case is similar to any argument about carrying a gun anywhere....the criminals will do it whether or not there is a law or not...all it does is restrict good citizens from protecting themselves while traveling.

I feel that no employer should ban an employee from keeping a loaded firearm in their vehicle while on the property. A gun in a locked car can't shoot anyone so what's the safety concern?

TN Robocop...thank you for recognizing that the good guys need a break every once and a while and not ticketing HCP holders. I was pulled over in Georgia for tinted windows. It was 11pm at night and I was traveling home from a job site for work. I was doing about 5mph under the speed limit in the right lane and the officer pulled me over. I guess being near Atlanta and driving a BMW with aftermarket wheels on it made me look suspicious...lol, but once I gave him my HCP as I keep it with my license and notify officers immediately upon contact that I am armed (out of respect as they have a dangerous job and I have no personal issue with not being forthright about having a legal firearm in the car) he was polite and said that my windows looked dark but that I should have a safe trip and that was the end of it.

I know and agree 100%, he probably won because he was so 2nd friendly, but my point was the 2nd amendment lobby didnt help him... nor Sen. Jackson. Kinda got some folks scrathing their heads. Honestly no one including myself thought these races would even be close, nor did we think any of them needed help... so thats on myself as much as anyone. What im seeing is there were a large amount of people that just voted Republican right down the ticket... Satan himself could have won some of those races if he had a "R" next to his name. People were just so frustrated they didnt care.
I think your probably right about Satan. There was a huge backlash against the Democrats this year. Sadly some were our friends. I vote Independent with a conservative bent, but I tend to look at the man and not necessarily the party, though that comes into it as well. Actually last Presidential election I voted for Bob Barr. The other selections were crap. But I digress.

I would love to see some sort of parking lot carry get passed by the state. If nothing else then to just stick it to all the high and mighty employers out there that think they rule us all. I see all our rights getting eroded not just by the Government, but also private business due to insurance restrictions and Lawyers and I don't like it or them either.

Guest tnxdshooter
That would help those with a HCP and I would like to see it passed as well. However would also like to see posession in a private vehicle allowed with a HCP.

Same here.

Not quite what you guys are talking about, but is our New govenor going to get the parking lot thing going or what? ANyone heard anything?

Why would he?

There really are far more important issues in this state.

What remains to be seen is if the Legislature (who makes the laws :D) takes up the issue and passes it. Will the Governor sign?

Why would he?

There really are far more important issues in this state.

What remains to be seen is if the Legislature (who makes the laws :D) takes up the issue and passes it. Will the Governor sign?

I agree..."He" will not push any firearms issues.

As far as whether he'll sign such legislation...I think he will based on earlier statements.

Not quite what you guys are talking about, but is our New govenor going to get the parking lot thing going or what? ANyone heard anything?

The short answer is "No". Neither will any Legislator in this year's session. I am afraid that the best we can hope for is to not lose any ground.

Several of the best friends that gun owners had in the Legislature were Democrats that got beat (or chose not to run) this last round.

Haslam will not push any pro-gun issues, ever, not in his make up. Will he sign Bills put on his desk that involve promoting Constitutional guarantees of the 2nd Amendment, I think so, and have him on video agreeing to do so.

The interviews with the candidates basically showed that they will not really be introducting any gun related laws anytime soon. They blew their wad and political capital last session and want to concentrate on real issues that affect most of the state such as little things like the economy, budgets, taxes, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest nicemac

I talked to (my) state senator Jack Johnson about this issue on the phone recently. My workplace prohibits firearms on the premises, including parking lots. He indicated that there WAS discussion about this being introduced in this session, probably in February.

• 4 months later...
Guest WyattEarp
Professionally I like to know who is legally carrying a gun if I approach someone on a traffic stop and there is a gun in the car.

I don't understand why TN Dept Mot. Vehicles can't make it to where when a LEO runs a license plate, it shows in the computers whether they are an HCP Holder or a NON-HCP Holder? How hard would that be? I think it would be much safer for the police officer to know before he ever steps foot outside of the vehicle.

Seems like there's still lot's of bugs to be worked out with all of this carry permit stuff.