TSA Out of control: Takes 3year toddler teddy bear and requires pat down

Harold

You might think a 3-year-old would whiz through security. A child is non-threatening, wears slip-on shoes, and carries little luggage.

Mandy Simon suffered through a TSA pat down.

Not the case for Mandy Simon who was passing through security with her dad at the airport in Chattanooga, Tenn.

A TSA employee gave Mandy the pat down and she started screaming and kicking her legs. Her dad, Steve, happens to be a TV reporter and caught 17 seconds of the ordeal on his cell phone

Why was Mandy searched in the first place? She started crying when she was asked to put her teddy bear through the X-ray machine. This made it difficult for her to walk calmly through the metal detector and she set the machine off twice, which meant she "must be hand-searched."

If the TSA is going to search kids, maybe they need a little training on how to do it--or at least employees should have a few lollipops or stickers in their pockets.

TSA pats down a screaming toddler : The Mommy Files

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this crap is out of control. Al-Quada is already 2 steps ahead of us. They are using

printer cartridges with explosives in them on cargo flights. I bet they are sitting in their caves

laughing their butts off at us. The guy that told them not to "touch my junk" had the right idea.

I will drive rather then fly. Let our politicians go through this crap.

BTW I heard that if you refuse to go though the body scanner and decline the pat down at that point you do not have the choice to simply leave the airport. If you decline you can get a 10,000 dollar fine as well.

In the Cast of the man that was declining to be patted down I heard the video where the TSA officer told him he had a choice to not fly, but the tonight I was watching a show and they said and showed a document that if you decline the pat down after declining the body scanner you can not just leave but you face a 10,000 dollar fine.

They are using Al-Quada as much more of a threat then I believe they are to thump up security and keep people scared sheep.

I am not going to go to much further here other then to say, this is exactly what Big Brother wants and they are using Al-Quada to keep people scared. Plus factor in that Al-Quada would be happy just to have people scared for little to no continued effort on their part.

(And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars)

I am not going to go to much further here other then to say, this is exactly what Big Brother wants and they are using Al-Quada to keep people scared. Plus factor in that Al-Quada would be happy just to have people scared for little to no continued effort on their part.

I agree somewhat, except I think it is backfiring. People are no longer scared. Now, they are getting pissed off with all the nanny-statism.

While I know it would never fly in this country due to all the P.C. crap, it seems like Israel does a pretty good job at their airports with profiling.

I wouldn't mind the groping if it was a beautiful woman doing it. Heck, if she looked good enough, I might even pay extra. :lol:

I don't see why the child shouldn't be searched...

Well that goes back to like Vietnam when they hid bombs and booby traps on anyone.

Don't Touch my Junk man.

I guarantee if I touched anyone the way the screeners touch people I would be sent to prison and put on a sex offenders list.

I don't see why the child shouldn't be searched...

Are you serious? Are you really ****ing serious? I can't tell if half the **** that you type lately is you just looking to start something or if that's really how you think.

You think a 3 year old needs to be patted down by a TSA agent? I'm not saying that people can't hide things on their kids, and yes they use them as bombs overseas, but I don't think a kid needs to be patted down like that. There are plenty of other ways to go about screening a child that small. Even if it takes a few extra minutes.

Are you serious? Are you really ****ing serious? I can't tell if half the **** that you type lately is you just looking to start something or if that's really how you think.

You think a 3 year old needs to be patted down by a TSA agent? I'm not saying that people can't hide things on their kids, and yes they use them as bombs overseas, but I don't think a kid needs to be patted down like that. There are plenty of other ways to go about screening a child that small. Even if it takes a few extra minutes.

I wonder, also.

You mean there are actually people on here that do this???? Say it ain't so!!! :)

To show how asinine his comment was, I read it, in my mind,"I don't see why the child should be searched..." I had to go back and reread it, never thought I would see that comment.

Yet another reason, why I do not fly... I've had it with PAYING these people (airlines, their employees), my good money, so that I can wait... and wait... and wait... and be subject to excuse after excuse. I have not enjoyed flying since around 1999, but continued to do so. After 9/11, I still flew on a regular basis from GA back to TN, or from FL back to TN, but didn't like it that much. Now - these idiots can't even keep from delaying their own schedules.

If it's anywhere on the East Coast, I drive. If it's out to TX - I drive. CA, NV, or OR are the only reasons that I fly.

A wand search at the maximum. But a little consideration that the kid is a 3 year old and you just took away their security blanket from a child in a very very intimidating situation, new things, crowd, big people, machines, etc. How about, have the parent be asked questions and the parent show them areas of interest to the TSA scanner. Oh, and give the freak'n teddy bear back to the kid, that might help too. It is the pure lack of common sense.

I've got a 3 year old, they are easily pissed off, but also easily distracted and pacified...most of the time. Giving back the teddy bear would have made this a minor inconvenience.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I agree a wand search should be used before a pat down. However if that trips then what would be our next step? I know its a tough situation all around but it is not outside the realm of possibilities a child will be used for terrorist gains.

I agree a wand search should be used before a pat down. However if that trips then what would be our next step? I know its a tough situation all around but it is not outside the realm of possibilities a child will be used for terrorist gains.

NO. NO pat-downs on children. Period.

The second part of my answer, which should be the first thing they do. Have the parents show appropriate areas and answer the questions.

This.

This +1

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

So we have a system in place outside of a pat down to ensure that an adult isnt using a child as mule to smuggle on a weapon? I agree that the concern of having a child patted down is very high but what should we do if the child fails the traditional metal detector scan and wand over?

Personally I would be fine with telling them they can leave and come back after making whatever necessary changes so that the child passes the scan.

I think this crap is out of control. Al-Quada is already 2 steps ahead of us. They are using

printer cartridges with explosives in them on cargo flights. I bet they are sitting in their caves

laughing their butts off at us. The guy that told them not to "touch my junk" had the right idea.

I will drive rather then fly. Let our politicians go through this crap.

Yep, like a cat and a laser pointer.

So we have a system in place outside of a pat down to ensure that an adult isnt using a child as mule to smuggle on a weapon? I agree that the concern of having a child patted down is very high but what should we do if the child fails the traditional metal detector scan and wand over?

Personally I would be fine with telling them they can leave and come back after making whatever necessary changes so that the child passes the scan.

Personally, I'll let you put up with this rediculous crap, and I'll continue to travel by other means. I refuse to participate.