G19 question

Guest Nash45

I took a new Gen 4 Glock 19 to the range today. Nice gun. but......out of about 50 rounds I had 2 failure to feed jams. Should this gun be sent immediately to a gunsmith or to the Glock factory or is this a normal occurance with a new G19 during a break-in period?? What sayest thou??? The only thing I did before shooting is put 1 drop of oil on each side of the slide.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds odd to me. My G19 has several hundred rounds through it and has never malfunctioned except with intentional limp-wristing, and even then, only on the last round of the magazine. My Gen 4 G17 was an early lodel with the same recoil spring as then Gen 4 G22s and it made odd noises until I called them and asked them to ship me the lighter recoil spring. It never actually malfunctioned at all but they still took care of it. Definitely call Glock tech support and they will make it right.

make sure it isn't a mag issue first, or try to ID that it isn't a mag problem before trying anything else. I've never had a FTF in a Glock 9mm and I use the cheapest ammo I can find for the range. I've owned over a dozen Glock 9mms and 4 or 5 19s. I don't nor have had a Gen 4 Glock of any kind.

I've sometime taken a wooden pencil, using the eraser end and jammed the follower all the way down in repeatedly in a new magazines to see if they are "sticky" or have some debris impeding free flow of the spring and follower. Also make sure that the mag you are using isn't an old version, which I doubt is the case.

What type of ammo were you using when you had the FTFs - factory jacketed solid point.

1) Try cleaning and oiling it first.

2) Mark your mags so you will know if the problems

are always occurring with the same mag.

3) Try a few different brands of ammo to see if that is

problem.

4) Call Glock customer service or get with an armorer.

With all that said there are many reports of people having problems

with the Gen 4 guns.

I took some boxes of Lawman 9mm 115gr TMJ and PMC Bronze 115gr FMJ. I cannot remember which one of those was loaded at the time. I am watching the replies and will apply what ya'll suggest. Glock (Smyrna, GA.) is closed today so I guess I will call them in the morning.

thanks for the input and for loaning me your brain..............."For by wise guidance you will wage war, And in abundance of counselors there is victory." Prov. 24:6

Mags were new in box.

Edited by Nash45

As pumped as I was about Gen4, I know of WAY too many problems being reported (especially with the 9mm versions) to buy one at this time.

Most of the issues concern the new recoil system and although they have already introduced "upgraded" versions of the recoil rod, I don't think Glock has totally fixed the problem yet.

-What number is on your recoil rod assembly?

-Highly doubt it's a mag issue.

BTW, I'm a Glock Armorer as well.

Edited by TN-popo

I didn't mention that I've shot a wide variety of ammo through all my Glocks from hot to the cheapest (sometimes weak), in all four of my pistols (including my Gen 4). I have a G17, G19, G22, and G26. They all will shoot anything I put in them. If it's not a mag issue, I'd ask if they can send a new recoil assembly. Either way, there should be an easy solution that should get it running reliably on any kind of ammo.

I would have to look. I didnt know there were numbers on it.............well I wish I had known all this about the gun before I bought it. I guess I will call Glock.

Edited by Nash45

I've had a Gen 4 G19 for a couple of months now with about 600 rounds through it with no problems. 200-250 rounds were range and the rest have been a USPSA and IDPA match. No problems with mine but I would also call Glock to pick their brain. It's like everything else; there may always be a few issues but for Glock (or anyone else) to know about the issues, they have to be told. Hope it works out for you.

Don't think I've ever seen "G19" and "break-in period" used together. Sounds like something's not right...

+1 my g19 got a minor cleaning on the day I purchased it and a 800 round defensive skills class the next day. The only failures were the ones that we intentionally set up.

Guest gw2and4

Picked up my 19Gen4 from a TGOer and it had been unfired. I ran a patch through the barrel and ran it at an IDPA classifier. The first time I fired it was on the clock and no problems at all with 115 grain Federal or Blazer Brass FMJ. I've carried a Glock 23 since 1995, so I'm used to both Glocks and the snappy recoil you get with .40SW. That typically requires a firm shooting grip. That being said--I've noticed that the brass doesn't get thrown far out of the 19Gen4. More like it dribbles out. But the gun still works.

I'm a Glock Armorer and I'm happy to take a look at it or talk to you about it. PM me if I can be of any help.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone 4

I didnt see a number on the recoil spring assembly. TN-popo

See post #28 in this thread for an example...

Gen4 Glock 19 Range Report Thread:Please Place All Gen4 G19 Reports Here - Page 2 - M4Carbine.net Forums

It seems that most Gen4 9mm complaints come from 115gr FMJ practice ammo. I don't recall any when using +P ammo...leading me to think that the Gen4 9mms are oversprung.

Glock has always used the same recoil assemblies for 9mm and .40...and I've always disagreed with that. It wasn't really a reliability issue in the past with the old system, but it is now.

If you call Glock, they'll probably just send you a new rod. I've heard that even newer versions for the G19 are coming out in December, but I can't confirm that first hand.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Guy N. Cognito
Which I think is a bad thing and a step backward from the Gen3s.

Actually, if you google "Glock" and "limpwristing", you'll find that this "new" issue really isn't that new.