Anybody use AVD anti-virus?

Guest Jamie

If so, did it cause your computer to crash/lock up last night, when it tried to update it's virus definitions?

I got the usual "you need to reboot your computer to finish installing the update" message, and when I told it to go ahead, it wouldn't start back up.

After an hour or so of checking around, I ended up uninstalling AVG, and loading the Microsoft AV program up. That seems to have cured it.

Oh, and after checking AVG's forum, it seems that EVERYBODY running Windows 7 had the same problem last night.

Edited by Jamie
To fix thread title
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the first time we've had any trouble out of it, and we've been using it for years now. Used Norton before that and it always seemed to be more "buggy" than the bugs it was looking for.

Norton dragged my PC to a complete halt several times. I quit it several years ago.

I don't really know if I accomplished much going to McAfee. I lost all my stuff on the PC

when McAfee blew up last year. I didn't know what to do since I used AVG, McAfee

and the Microsoft stuff, so I stuck with it, rather than trying another.

I didn't use anything for years. Now there are too many critters out there.

I built all my PC's and every time I thought maybe I screwed something up. Never found

anything wrong, and I'm too damned lazy nowadays to play with changing brands.

I think if AVG did something horrendous on one upgrade, they will fix it pretty quick.

Just keep it. I think they all have "bugs", anyway.

From the posts over there, it looks like Windows 7 doesn't agree with AVG at all, does it?

Interesting... not the first time Microsoft disagreed with another vendor. There will probably

be some patch today or tomorrow.

From the posts over there, it looks like Windows 7 doesn't agree with AVG at all, does it?

Interesting... not the first time Microsoft disagreed with another vendor. There will probably

be some patch today or tomorrow.

Well, it's agreed with it for nearly an entire year here. I have Microsoft Security Essentials running now... and if that don't work then maybe it's just time to shoot this machine and call it a day. :nervous:

Well, it's agreed with it for nearly an entire year here. I have Microsoft Security Essentials running now... and if that don't work then maybe it's just time to shoot this machine and call it a day. :nervous:

At least shooting the machine should be fun. You'd get to throw lead downrange anyway!

That would be a fun target to shoot at. I have a bunch of old motherboards that would make good

ones, too. I'd love to see them go in all directions. Let me know. I'll bring them over and we can blow

some computer headaches away. That would be fun:D

I know from personal experience that a .45 will not go all the way through a hard disk drive, but is sure makes one heck of a dent! 7.62x25 zips right through.

And I know that both 7.62x54R and 6.5 Swede in hard ball will knock holes in a 302 engine head... So a hard disk wouldn't stand a chance. I also know where I can borrow guns in both calibers... :nervous:

( Won't go all the way through but it'll crater the hell out of the thick spots and get all the way into the thin ones. )

For a real show though, do a little "skeet" shooting with a 12 ga. and some old VHS tapes. Number 6 shot will make a nice batch of confetti out of 'em. :stare::eek:

Edited by Jamie
Finally got enough coffee to actually see what I was typing.
It always worked well for us... until it didn't.

Go here for a better description of what happened... I think the first 2 threads pretty much cover it:

AVG Update - Threads

Looks like 10.0.1152 and higher fixed prob according to thread?

Mine is already at 10.0.1170.

This is XP box though; thread says XD machines affected also, so?

Haven't been asked to reboot in last few days, but generally don't ever shut this machine down.

I'll check my win7 laptop in a while...

- OS

I am use AVG at work (two XP & two Win200 desktops) and at home (Three Vista laptops) and did not have any problems. I am using the "paid" versions though since they are used commercially, I'm not sure if that makes a difference or not. I switched years ago from Trend Micro to AVG and haven't ever had any problems. I used McAfee for many years on my home computers when Comcast offered it free however when they switched early this year to Norton, I added more seats to my license for the home machines.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Jamie

I have kept a 5 computer small office site license for AVG several years. It costs about the same for 3 years, as it costs to cover one computer with Norton for one year, unless Norton has got cheaper, or unless you have an ISP like Comcast who gives away Norton "free" with service.

No software is perfect, but I like AVG better than Norton anyway. IMO Norton is a PITA and McAfee is an infinitely worse PITA at least if you do programming. If I buy a new computer bundled with Norton or McAfee, it is the first thing I completely uninstall.

About a year or two ago, I had a similar hanging problem on two XP machines, that I don't know if AVG ever fixed, though the workaround always worked once I learned about it. It may be what bit you, though possibly not or it would have maybe bit you sooner. I think it was either hardware or OS specific.

The fix for my update hang on XP, was to go to (in AVG settings window)-- Tools|Update tab-- Un-Check the "Use DNS Update" checkbox.

That fixed it for me, so I always leave that check-box off ever since on all systems out of superstition. AVG updates fine without that option.

After reading up on it, it seems AVG just ain't what it used to be... and that the Microsoft Security Essentials software I downloaded and installed is about as good as it gets, these days, for the free stuff.

So, until something else throws a fit, I'm gonna go with that and hope for the best while expecting the worst. ( I'm not very trusting of new security software, especially from Microsoft... )

BTW... if a Moderator sees this... Could you PLEASE fix the title of this thread? The fact that I mis-typed "AVG" is driving me nuts... er... nuttier? :doh::blush::devil:

Edited by Jamie

Maybe its because I'm a computer nerd but I read the thread title as 'AVG' the first time I saw it. It was only after I saw the title two or three times that I realized what it really said. No worries Jamie - I think most of us know what you meant to type. I'm sure no one else ever has their fingers work faster than their brain!

I kept hoping a mod would change it AVD to STD in the title - the thread would get a lot more looks that way!

+1 on Avast. I used McAfee for the longest while Comcast was providing it for free. When they switched to Norton, I switched as well. I went with Avast cause Norton imho stinks. Avast is great. I haven't had any problems with it.

I quit using AVG a couple years ago. That's what happened to me back then, more than once.

I use McAfee now. I haven't changed to W7. Still using XP

+1 switched to McAfee - one Windows 7 desktop and an older laptop running XP. No problems but had some with other including AVG

+1 on Avast. I used McAfee for the longest while Comcast was providing it for free. When they switched to Norton, I switched as well. I went with Avast cause Norton imho stinks. Avast is great. I haven't had any problems with it.

I swore about 10 years ago, nothing Mcafee or Norton on any of my boxes ever again. Ever.

Even Symantec Ghost hosed one of my machines.

- OS

Guest Sgt. Joe

I have also used the free version of Avast for years without any problems. Just the other day I got a new laptop and my first Win-7 machine. First step was to un-install the Norton stuff and get some avast on it. I saw where they were running a deal for 3 machines for 2 years for 51 bucks IIRC, so for the first time ever I got the paid version.

I dont know if that is why but I did not have any problems with any updates. I have a machine running XP, one with Vista and now the Win-7. I did not have any problems with any of them.

Santa is going to bring someone here yet another laptop and I am going to use the deal I bought for this machine (of course) the one running Vista and the Santa one. I will keep my near 10 year old desktop computer on the free version.

I am sorry you had a problem J. but I am darn glad I missed it.

Now I am going to go back and check out that avast link and see if I can learn anything.