My latest pocket companion...

TGO David

Guest Lester Weevils
I'm about to go off on a slight tangent here, so I got this Kahr K9 stainless a while back. Love the trigger on it. I think it's on a par with the SR9c, maybe even a little better...or softer anyway. But haven't had much range time with it yet, so how do you Kahr guys compare the PM9 to it? I'd welcome any comments. Thanks.

I've never shot a PM9, though folks say it is real easy on the hand. The P9 I think is the same size as your K9 except plastic frame. The P9 doesn't have any more perceived recoil than a full size beretta 92fs to me. Real easy in spite of being a light weight gun. The grip fits natural in the hand and is easy to hold on to. The PM9 having a smaller grip, maybe you have to hang onto it a little better.

I love stainless guns. The only reason I got a P9 was because it is lighter. Would have rather got a K9 at about the same size, for personal preference of stainless pistols, except I figgered a lighter gun would ride in the pocket better. Being a little heavier, maybe the K9 shoots even less recoil than the easily-managed P9.

Dunno nothin. Just my take on it.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never shot a PM9, though folks say it is real easy on the hand. The P9 I think is the same size as your K9 except plastic frame. The P9 doesn't have any more perceived recoil than a full size beretta 92fs to me. Real easy in spite of being a light weight gun. The grip fits natural in the hand and is easy to hold on to. The PM9 having a smaller grip, maybe you have to hang onto it a little better.

I love stainless guns. The only reason I got a P9 was because it is lighter. Would have rather got a K9 at about the same size, for personal preference of stainless pistols, except I figgered a lighter gun would ride in the pocket better. Being a little heavier, maybe the K9 shoots even less recoil than the easily-managed P9.

Dunno nothin. Just my take on it.

That's interesting. I haven't shot any of the Kahr's that have a full metal frame. I will say that the Beretta 92/m9 is a pleasure to shoot. It ain't too sexy, but it'll put em where you want them to go.

I haven't checked the Kahr site for dimensions, but the K series seem to have a longer grip and have, I believe, a 6/7 round mag. I know I have trouble with the 7th round as the mag length would seem to hold more but comfortably holds six and functions well with six. It is quite comfortable to shoot and as accurate as I can be with it. Meaning it shoots better than I do. All in all, I like it, but would like to try the polymer series as well.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi hipower

As far as I can tell, your K9 and my P9 are virtual twins except your K9 has an attractive stainless frame and my P9 has a black tupperware frame.

They both have the same frame width and the same height. Am pretty sure they use the same single-stack mags.

Unless the Kahr website contains mistakes, apparently the P9 barrel is a tenth of an inch longer than the K9. And the P9 has a length two tenths shorter than then K9. But they look awfully similar.

The PM9 loses a half inch of barrel and a half inch of length and a half inch of height. The PM9 uses a fancier recoil spring and guide rod I think.

All fingers can grip a P9 or K9 unless you have giant hands, but unless you have tiny little monkey hands, the pinky finger won't fit on a PM9 grip unless you have a mag extension. IMO a mag extension would kinda defeat some of the concealability advantage of the PM9 over a P9 or K9.

The big thing that makes em so concealable is the light weight and thin-ness. But the length and width has some wiggle-room. If my p9 was any longer or taller, then it wouldn't fit in a pocket. It is exactly as big as a pistol can get (if you habitually wear pants with big pockets).

Just adding an extended 8 round mag makes the grip that little bit taller so it gets almost impossible to quickly pocket-draw, because the end of the extended mag gets caught on the back of my pocket almost every time.

Mine came with one 7 round mag and one 8 round extended. It probably makes sense to carry an 8 round extended spare mag. Carry with 7 + 1, and then a mag change gives another 8. After the pistol has been drawn, there is no size disadvantage to the extended mag if you need a reload.

I haven't had any trouble mis-feeding the last round from the mag. Maybe your mag needs a little lube or the gun needs some more break-in? Mine really didn't have a break-in period. It shot solid out of the box. The only malf I can recall was one bad squib round that went pfft instead of bang. The primer was dinged good, so it was most likely the ammo's problem.

Kahr K9 - Style # K9093, Kahr Arms Pistols

Kahr P9 - Style # KP9093, Kahr Arms Pistols

Kahr PM9 - Style # PM9093, Kahr Arms Pistols

GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=K91690.jpg&w=652&h=556

GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=P91676.jpg&w=652&h=556

GetDynamicImage.aspx?dir=itemImages&path=PM91680.jpg&w=652&h=556

Thanks, Lester. I just got off the Kahr site and read the info you posted. Paraphrasing, I'd say the only diff between the two is a miniscule size diff and a weight diff from the stainless frame. Still a really good gun,but as you imply, the pm9 series is probably the better pocket gun. Still the k in a iwb or a small belt slide is comfortable for me. Anyway, thanks again.

• Administrator

Well, just to be fair... once we start talking about IWB or OWB carry, the Kahr family loses their luster for me and I start thinking about other weapons with higher round count rather than slim profiles. I don't even carry a 1911 much at all anymore for this reason alone.

...My personal experience is that you need to shoot them to break them in. They are very tight at first but after a few hundred rounds they really become a pleasure to shoot. ..

Thanks Raoul. They must do a great job with the machining. Now all i need to do is find a "...lightly used and lovingly cared for..." PM9 and i'll be in business!!

Many thnks,

Leroy

Thanks Raoul. They must do a great job with the machining. Now all i need to do is find a "...lightly used and lovingly cared for..." PM9 and i'll be in business!!

Many thnks,

Leroy

Leroy, I've seen a couple on TGO in the last few months.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bronker

David, what wallet holster do you run with this one? I too am a huge fan of the aholster, but am always open to options.

I now own two Kahr PM9's. My wife does the Galco IWB, and my Kahr came with a Uncle Mike size 3 pocket holster and a Desantis Nemesis. I'm liking the Uncle Mike right now but will likely order an aholster soon.

Well, just to be fair... once we start talking about IWB or OWB carry, the Kahr family loses their luster for me and I start thinking about other weapons with higher round count rather than slim profiles. I don't even carry a 1911 much at all anymore for this reason alone.

Ding! I have a PM9. It's my pocket gun. Once I go to a holster, I'm rocking a Glock. Love the PM9, but it's a niche gun for me.

Well, just to be fair... once we start talking about IWB or OWB carry, the Kahr family loses their luster for me and I start thinking about other weapons with higher round count rather than slim profiles....
Ding! I have a PM9. It's my pocket gun. Once I go to a holster, I'm rocking a Glock. Love the PM9, but it's a niche gun for me.

Me three.

If I go to IWB, it's my XD SC, not my Kahr.

- OS

but it's a niche gun for me
. Yes me too. When I pocket carry it is probably last on my list of three.

1) Seecamp LWS 380

2) S&W M&P 340+P

3) Kahr PM9

I certainly like its form and function and wouldn't think of divesting myself of it.

I have had mine four years. It had to go back to Kahr once early on for a rebuild. Been fine since. Break-in can be an expensive proposition especially when you get to 200 and things aren't working out and you have to start from scratch!!

Here's is mine.

P2140017.jpg

Here are some comparison photos with some other popular similar (but not equivalent) items.

Here is my 642 in a Mika Pocket holster compared with the PM9 in a DeSantis Nemesis.

P5150006-1.jpg

Here is a Rohrbaugh R9 compared to a PM9.

Photo Courtesy of Playboy Penguin.

R9s-MK40-1.jpg

The rogues gallery of KT PF9, Walther PPS and PM9

DSC02413.jpg

Another view, the PM9 being the most diminutive of the bunch. Walther on the left, KT on the right.

DSC02416-1.jpg

Guest rockytop
David, what wallet holster do you run with this one? I too am a huge fan of the aholster, but am always open to options.

May I add another recommendation. I have an Andrews pocket holster which has the guns outline molded to the inside of the holster only. The outside of the holster simply imitates the shape of my leg. It's very comfortable.

I really would like a PM9 but I'm torn between that and an xdsc. 9 or the new xdm 3.8 compact that just came out. I know different sizes, conceability questions. Those are just top of the wish list right now.

That was my basic idea, so I bought the Kahr P380 for deep conceal and the XD(m) Compact 9mm. Have fired alot of rounds through rentals and can't wait for mine to come in. That PM9 sure looks good though.

David-

I too fell "victim". I've had my eye on a PM9 since Thanksgiving but could never pull the trigger (pun intended) due to cost. But after reading your review yesterday I headed out this morning to see David Wilson at Lebanon Gun store and laid the money down. I then promptly took it to The Gun Room and pumped 200 rounds thru it with NO issues whatsoever!. I must say I hate the extended magazine and just wish they would have included two 6 round magazines instead. I ordered an extra one tonight online and will never use the 7 rd extended one again. The gun is simply marvelous though. Now I need to find a lefthand owb holster!

Edited by Proscene
Guest Bronker

Have you taken apart and cleaned it yet? That's where my problem came on my first one. I have two, so I'm a fan, but the gun has tight tolerances. Make sure the recoil guide spring assembly is seated well against the barrel lug. Mine have both been finicky with this at one point or another.

I'm a lefty too, so the cure for your dilemma is to put it in your left pocket! Rock on!