HandiRifle 45/70

bullrider

I have been thinking of getting a Handi Rifle in .45-70. I can't afford the Ruger #1 or Marlin 1895, but there is just something about this old cartridge that fastinates me. Can anyone offer advice, experience, comments, or complaints on the rifle and caliber?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i have several rifles in 45/70 i mostly use for long range target shooting . it is a great hunting round as well and the handi rifle shoots good too.if you are going to shoot it very much you more than likley will want to reload for it.it is a great cartridge

The 45/70 is my favorite cartridge to reload for. I have a Marlin 1895SS and it is my woods deer rifle. Good with my loads to about 130 yards, then the drop is pretty steep. But I don't load to max velocities either. As light as the handi rifle is, it would need a good recoil pad. The 45/70 is a blast to shoot!

I've shot exactly one round through a Handi 45/70, guy that comes to the range now and then has a bunch of different ones.

He had a peep sight on it, we had targets at 120 yards, and he had the peep set for that distance. I rested it on a bag, fired one shot at a torso, dead center of "heart", where I was aiming. Wow.

Recoil is certainly "significant" but I have some Nobel Sport LE 2.75" 12 gauge buck that is worse.

- OS

My stepbrother had a handirifle in .45/70 with a scope that I shot once and that hooked me on the .45/70 round after that, it does have some recoil, but just enough to be fun and not punish you with normal loadings.

I went and bought a marlin 1895 after that and I think thats probably the funnest gun I ever had, much more fun to shoot than my AR IMHO.

I have an 1895 Marlin in 45-70 and a 20 round box will leave your shoulder black an blue. Don't know what you would use one for around here.

Huh!?!....It is one of the best cartridges made for large game hunting around here. There isn't a better hog or bear caliber made. Great for deer because it packs a whollop and doesn't destroy meat.

There are guys at my range shooting sharps rifles with iron sights at 500 yards with them.

I have a Winchester Model 1886 in 45-70 I got for my wife when she decided she needed to hunt boar. I've hit 12 inch plates with it at 250 yards with the iron sights. Last time I had it at range, I shot 20 rounds and my shoulder was bruised for two weeks. A great cartridge but I need to put a recoil pad on that rifle. I'm too old for such abuse.