Cant decide on which Caliber

Guest Grot

Im trying to decide on Which Glock to get.

Decision is between the 30 and the 27.

Main decider is going to be felt recoil.

Ive shot a .40 glock, how does the recoil of the .45 compare?

Looking for opinions, not a "Which caliber is better" war.

Penetration and usefulness for SD isnt a consideration.

I may go to CCA and rent a couple Glocks if i can get some time.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, have you held both at least? The 27 is considerably smaller in dimensions compared to the 30. Especially in thickness. For this reason alone it will be easier to carry. I carry my 26 in my pocket for example. As for recoil, the .45 is a push where as the .40 is a snap, especially in the baby Glock.

edit: I'll add more about the recoil, the 30 will have less felt recoil in my opinion, albeit the recoil is different. Also different people perceive recoil differently. How many more times can I say different?

Edited by RoDan

Let me ask you a dumb question: What can you afford to shoot the most?

The answer will be... your answer.

You'll get used to about anything, if you shoot enough of it.

I'd have another look at the Glock 19 or Glock 23. I believe this is the sweet spot in the Glock line.

If I had been reading this post a year ago I would have thought.... Blah... Blah... Blah...

I owned a 26 and a 17 and I just couldn't see that the 19 could offer anything that the 26/17 didn't already have covered.

I bought a 19 six months ago and it has become by far my favorite to shoot and to carry.

The 17 is on permanent house duty and the 26 just sits in the safe.

Honestly, I love that 19 so much I feel like I'm cheating on my wife.

Edited by BrasilNuts

I like the subcompacts because I like to at least have the option to pocket the weapon, nothing more. If that is not a goal, they have little advantage for conceal, as you said. A gun that I cannot at least fit in my pocket (never mind the print) will never be my chosen CCW, though I have a number of them for range duty and a couple stashed around the house in strategic places.

On the flipside, there is little advantage in having a bigger weapon either. The good subcompacts that I have tried and own shoot well; several of them see a lot of range time because I like the way they shoot. A number of them are uncomfortable handbusters too, but the designs of the last decade have really started to mature into small guns that are also fun to shoot and no longer prevent practice due to discomfort. The only real reason to have a bigger gun (apart from personal preference) is if you want a 45, the really small 45s all have some sort of issue/compromise and the middle sized ones are still fairly large.

45 over 40 any day. 40 is over rated in my opinion. My favorite glock is a 19 they shoot very well and reliable. A friend of mine has shot around 30,000 rds through a 21 and only issue so far broken recoil rod and it was still running.whe he replaced the rod he replaced all the springs but he didnt have to do that. 30 should be as reliable and they shoot better than the 27. Best thing about a 45 is you can shoot ball ammo and still make a very big hole.

Guest Topgun121

This is just me, but I don't understand why people carry .40's. If I was going to carry a .40, I would just carry a .45 instead. Just my own preference though..

I frequently carry a G27 as I like it's size and enjoy shooting it. I also have an XD40sc that I carried until my wife liked it. The small 45 acp pistols have been considered to have problems, but I've found the Kimber Ulta CDP II to be 100% reliable and very accurate. Which ever you choose, practice with it often and it will do a good job should it be necessary.

Hm

This is just me, but I don't understand why people carry .40's. If I was going to carry a .40, I would just carry a .45 instead. Just my own preference though..

I could carry something a lot bigger than a 45 but I dont. I could carry 9+p and get close to the same ballistics as a 40 but I dont.

Its just all factors considered I'll trust a 40. Really with 40 being such a trusted proven LE round I believe it would help with a Defense proceeding if I were on trial. Very few agencies around me use something other than a 40 currently.

with the glocks mentioned it's not just caliber, it's gun size. the 26 & 27 is smaller gun than the 30. i have a 27 just for this reason,a little more punch than 26 but smaller than the 30, it's a little easier to carry. many grip about the grip letting your pinky dangle but while it may not be comfy i shoot it better without any mag extensions and it's darn accurate.

the 30sf is on my short list but the 27 isn't going anywhere. sold and traded around a lot over the past few years but unless somebody offers something stupid i'm keeping the 27. if i did trade it off i would just get another one.

My first carry weapon was a G27. I now own a G30 and a G30SF. The recoil of a .45 on said weapons is considerably less felt and more enjoyable in a G30. The G27 always left my hand sore after 50 rounds or so. If you want a Glock .40, go with a G22.. recoil is nowhere near as bad. My advice is to go rent both or borrow both and see what's right for YOU!

Other considerations in the small Glock category - the 26 and the 36. I've owned or do own all sizes in 9mm, .40, and .45 ACP - the G30SF is my personal favorite as EDC, followed by the 26.

Edited by Glock30

i carry the G26 and have no complaints. Like previously mentioned, try the gun without a extension before purchasing a spot for your pinky to land. When i got my 26, i had the gun store add extensions (no extra rounds, just plastic on the bottom of the mag) to both magazines. After purchasing some more mags, i found i shoot this gun MUCH better without the extension. It will feel strange at first. However, you will get used to it in a short amount of time.