38 S&W Ammo Suggestions?

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Smith and Wesson revolver chambered in 38 S&W. What would you suggest for a defensive carry round? I want to start carrying this as a pocket pistol for situation where my G27 wont work. I currently have it loaded with 148 grain lead bullets but would rather something more oriented towards a defensive carry. Thanks in advance.

I'd have to find a way for the G27 and extra mag to work.

Nothing wrong with LRN ammo. No, you won't have a problem with too much penetration with a 38S&W. They're a pretty enemic round. Police carried 158 grain RLNs in 38 Specials for years upon years. Just because something isn't the latest and greatest, according to on the take gunwriters, doesn't mean it won't work. People haven't gotten any tougher in the last 100 years. On the contrary, I'd say they've gotten softer.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se
I'd have to find a way for the G27 and extra mag to work.

Pretty much whenever I am not at work the G27 is with me. However at work it just wouldnt cut it. With the 38 S&W I can drop it in my pocket, perform my job, and no one is the wiser.

The .38 S&W was originally a black powder round. Because of this, all ammunition for it is relatively low pressure by today's standards. The bullet should be .361, not the .357 normally found for the .38 Special and .357 Mag.

Buying factory ammo will be pretty expensive. If you get a Lee Handloader, you can easily load this round yourself very cheaply. My experience has been that cases easily last 12-15 loadings before showing signs of being worn out.

Many proven loads are available online. the two best for defensive use are the old British service load of a 200gr at 620fps, or the 158gr semi-wadcutter at 767fps. For comparison, the .38 Special launches the 200gr bullets at about 800fps, and the 158gr SWC at about 950fps.

I used to use a Dixie round ball mold to cast .361 round bullets which I thumb-pressed into a case with 7gr of Accurate No5 powder. You can shoot all day this way for very little money. I never chrono'ed this load, but it was capable of minute-of-tin-can accuracy out to 20 yards with my old Iver Johnson and H&R revolvers.

For new gear, this would be an inexpensive setup if you can't find another Lee Loader like the above post.

Lee Hand Press($29.49):

Lee Breech Lock Hand Press - MidwayUSA

Lee .38 S&W die set ($26.99):

Lee Carbide 3-Die Set 38 S&W - MidwayUSA

Add bullets, powder and primers.

Good thing about this setup is that you can load different handgun calibers by just getting another die set. Lee says that you can use the hand press for rifle cartridges. My experience is that it's possible, but not nearly as easy as most handgun cartridges.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Well if I got into loading I would probably end up reloading 38 S&W, 38 Special, and .40. I wonder if I would be better off going with a full on single stage press setup so I could easily start loading more? Another question: I have read some people load .38 special bullets in 38 s&w cases and that appears to be how the lee molds go about it for casting lead bullets. Would I be better off going with home cast lead .38 special bullets or just buy some 38 special hollowpoints and avoid my own casting.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

The bullet for a 38 special is .357 where 38 s&w is .361. However it appears that is what most people end up loading and even on Lee Loaders site they sell the same mold for .38 Special and s&w.