IWB vs. OWB

IWB vs. OWB  

111 members have voted

1. 1. IWB vs. OWB

• IWB
    • OWB

That Glock holster looks interesting if you carry a Glock. Note that it has less cant, so the gun is pointed away from your ass :)

I wonder if there are similar options for us M&P guys.

The OP will be carrying Glock 19, which is exactly why I'm recommending he try it out. Part of the reason I like it so much is that it fits the gun super tight and really covers the trigger guard well. That's important since I wear mine pointing right at my ass! :D

Seriously, it looks so cheap that I wouldn't have tried the thing unless it was recommended to me. I don't think a leather holster can be made stiff enough to hold the gun in such a concealable "high and tight" position. While they are comfy, I don't find my leather holsters to feel as secure when reholstering. Just MHO

Edited by JReedEsq
*Corrected term to emphasize subjectivity of my assessment.
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP will be carrying Glock 19, which is exactly why I'm recommending he try it out. Part of the reason I like it so much is that it fits the gun super tight and really covers the trigger guard well. That's important since I wear mine pointing right at my ass! :D

Seriously, it looks so cheap that I wouldn't have tried the thing unless it was recommended to me. I don't think a leather holster can be made stiff enough to hold the gun in such a concealable "high and tight" position. While they are comfy, I don't find my leather holsters to feel as secure when reholstering. Just MHO

I was serious about a similar option for M&P guys. I wouldn't expect a Glock holster to be any less reliable and functional than their pistols. I missed the fact the the OP would be carrying a G19

I carry 50/50, I have a comp-tac Mtac, and a DM Bullard Bodyguard. I use the OWB anytime I'm wearing a button up or a jacket. If it's t-shirt only or dress clothes I go IWB. I did not have to buy bigger pants, I wore a 32 before and can fit IWB just fine, so if your pants are a little lose as you said, you should be fine. Especially with a leather/Kydex. BTW i carry a Kimber Eclipse Pro (4" 1911)

Bodygaurd.jpg

MTAC.jpg

I like the comp tac better than Supertuck because you can adjust the cant depending on your specific draw.

Edited by Lumber_Jack
What stores are you talking about? THe only decent one is mahoney's and idk if they carry anything like that...

I must strongly disagree with the above statement. I can name 10 or more quality gun shops within a half hour to 45 min. drive from Mahoney's. All of which have a fair selection, fair prices, and friendly/professional staff.

Edited by Mason
I must strongly disagree with the above statement. I can name 10 or more quality gun shops within a half hour to 45 min. drive from Mahoney's. All of which have a fair selection, fair prices, and friendly/professional staff.

what would be helpful would be to name the stores for him.

Then he can reference which ones are TGO supports and visist those first!

If you could.name some I.would really appreciate it! Not trying to be smart just new to the gun buying world and haven't been around to a lot of shops...my dad mostly bought at gun shows

CM, most gun stores don't carry large selections of holsters. They usually have some, maybe some galco and such. I bought my Mtac in Knoxville but most buy online. My first IWB was a Galco summer comfort it worked good but it is nowhere near as comfortable as the Mtac and not as concealable. It might be worth a phone call to some shops to see what they have in shop. Do you have a style that appeals to you somewhat?

Edited by Lumber_Jack

A good belt is just as important as the holster, no matter IWB or OWB. It has everything to do with how comfortable and concealable the holster is no matter the type.

Most of the time I carry a G19 OWB in a paddle holster. Wear either a loose shirt, jacket, etc. The average person will not notice a bump, I don't think - consider with iPhones, etc, many people have "stuff" on their belts.

IWB is certainly more concealable but from what I have found, comfort levels vary a lot.

But as many OP have noted - find what works for you (and have a really good belt either way).

Good luck.

I like the crossbreed and have heard some great things about them...so something along those lines. I'm going to get one of the glock holsters at first til I find a good iwb that I like.

Sounds like a great plan. One thing I forgot to mention about the Glock holster is that you have to cut out little tabs to fit the belt with of you choice. Take your time so you don't dig into the supports. Otherwise, I'm totally convinced they are the best deal around.

Guest gw2and4

Having gotten my first carry permit in Florida where they mandate full concealment, I've carried mostly IWB over the past 15 or so years. Have to admit though, I bought a Galco pancake-style OWB leather holster (Combat Master, I think) about a year ago and have gotten quite used to its comfort. As some have already said--the belt makes all the difference. Especially for the waistband-challenged like me.

Printing through clothing used to concern me far more than it does these days. As long as you have a layer of clothing covering the pistol, very few sheeple will notice.

Good luck!

If you are cc'ing a Glock you owe it to yourself to try out the Glock sport/combat owb holster. They are like $15 and ugly, but they work freakin awesome. It will hold your Glock high, tight, easy to conceal, and very secure. I have several much more expensive holsters and I'm surprised how much I use the cheapest holster I own.

+1. GREAT with a G26 or G19!

IWB for concealment. I use a Don Hume 715 series for my Glock 20SF, fits well, carrys well and is inexpensive. For my G22 RTF I use a Galco Triton which also carrys well but not as slim.

For OWB I have a Galco Matrix7X for both, polymer, easy snap on and off and carrys close and easy.

Really depends on you and what you like and want.

Carry should be comforting not comfortable. :cool:

Does anybody carry the mtacs or are they only able to be ordered? I have been lookin at those and the crossbreed but haven't made up my mind yet and would be nice if I could try each first

I think it's safe to say, if you get the right one on the first try, your are truly blessed ;)

Does anybody carry the mtacs or are they only able to be ordered? I have been lookin at those and the crossbreed but haven't made up my mind yet and would be nice if I could try each first

Either will work great. I have both and don't notice any difference between the two in comfort or durability. To tell the truth I can wear either and at times pretty much forget I have it on.

As to your original question, both. Have a decent OWB and a IWB. You will want both at different times for different things. The OWB doesn't have to be great, just good. I have a number of OWB holsters and mostly use a Done Hume Open Top or a Bladetech most of the time. In the future my Raven Concealment will replace them for OWB. There is a new vendor on here that makes kydex holsters as well that can be used OWB or IWB like the Raven. I plan to buy one of those.

Edited by Warbird
Guest Guy N. Cognito
Does anybody carry the mtacs or are they only able to be ordered? I have been lookin at those and the crossbreed but haven't made up my mind yet and would be nice if I could try each

first

The MTAC is significantly better built than the crossbreed.

The MTAC is significantly better built than the crossbreed.

It definately looks that way but I have heard others say that it doesn't clip to the belt well and mves around when you draw and reholster. Is any of this true? If not i'll prob go with it over the crossbreed

Guest Guy N. Cognito

It definately looks that way but I have heard others say that it doesn't clip to the belt well and mves around when you draw and reholster. Is any of this true? If not i'll prob go with it over the crossbreed

I've had no problems with the clips or holster movement. They sell a variety of clips in a varitey of sizes, so I'm wondering if those complaining have something other than the standard belt clips. My MTACs are all rock solid.

My Crossbreed looks like it was cut by a drunk monkey....on a Friday.....going into a long weekend. Quite honestly, I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Guest Bronker
That's a good one. I was considering the Crossbreed, but I will look at the MTAC a little closer.

You owe it to yourself to seek additional opinions on CrossBreeds. The company has a wildly popular reputation for quality.

And yes, I've owned both. Great quality and function for both.