Gunbroker shady-ness?

Is doing business on Gunbroker.com worth the hassle & somewhat shady business practices?

I started to open an account there a few weeks ago. First, they wanted to charge me $1 to "verify" who I was because I wanted to use my yahoo email account. Ok, sure, whatever. They mention that on the registration page.

But then they wanted *another* $2 to do an "extended verification". I felt that was a bit over-the-top, so I stopped at that point.

After more looking around their FAQ, I found out that they will charge your card $1/month, just to have an open account. This, even though on their registration page they state "We charge no recurring membership fees of any kind". They state that the charge is not a fee, but a "credit balance" because you can use the money towards their services, and you'll get back the rest of your money when you close your account.

Personally, I feel that's a shady way of doing business. I'm thinking of canceling my registration. Is it worth the hassle to do business with them?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets worse. I joined to buy a set of backup parts for a gun, and elected not to pay them a cent for verification. I tried to buy out the item, and was told I cannot: you can only buyout an item if you meet some criteria. So I bid over the buyout amount. And lost. Repeated this 3 times. So you cannot even buy stuff on the site until you have bought stuff on the site (?!). I got irritable with it, contacted the seller, and bought a set of parts outside of GB from the same guy. Its like they don't WANT you to use their site, so I can oblige them on that.

The $1.00 balance appearing on your monthly statement is a credit balance not a monthly fee. When you place your credit card information on file with us we submit a $1.00 charge to your card to verify that the information provided is correct. We credit this $1.00 charge to your GunBroker.com account to offset that charge. It will continue to show up as a credit balance until you list an item with additional fees or sell an item or close your account.

The $1.00 balance appearing on your monthly statement is a credit balance not a monthly fee.

Yes, that is a copy of what's on their site. I have three issues with it:

- 1. This information is not mentioned on their registration page, nor anywhere on their fees page. It is listed on their Support FAQ page under "Why am I being charged a dollar ($1.00) every month?". The information is not readily pointed out when registering.

- 2. The registration page states, "We charge no recurring membership fees of any kind". This gives me the impression that they do not charge anything on a monthly basis. This is not true. When a business takes money from me & forces me to either spend it on their services or close my account, that's a "fee". Calling it a "credit balance" makes me feel like they're just dancing around the issue.

- 3. Charging $1 to a new credit card on file to verify that it's legit is one thing. Giving me a $1 credit towards their services in return is very nice. Charging it *every month* is beyond necessary.

I havent heard much bad about them. I bought a hard to find stock for an old .22 on there last year. They ended up charging me the $1.00 verification fee twice, but when I complained I found out that it was my fault as I had stupidly submitted the info twice. They didn't refund the money but I was figured that my "stupid" tax, as Dave Ramsey like to say, lol. The stock transaction went well and was as advertised.

- 1. This information is not mentioned on their registration page, nor anywhere on their fees page. It is listed on their Support FAQ page under "Why am I being charged a dollar ($1.00) every month?". The information is not readily pointed out when registering.

- 2. The registration page states, "We charge no recurring membership fees of any kind". This gives me the impression that they do not charge anything on a monthly basis. This is not true. When a business takes money from me & forces me to either spend it on their services or close my account, that's a "fee". Calling it a "credit balance" makes me feel like they're just dancing around the issue.

- 3. Charging $1 to a new credit card on file to verify that it's legit is one thing. Giving me a $1 credit towards their services in return is very nice. Charging it *every month* is beyond necessary.

Umm... you do not get charged a dollar a month. GB charges your credit card 1 dollar for verification. Gb then gives you a 1 dollar credit on their site to make-up for the CC charge. That credit will remain on your GB account until you sell something through them.

It is not a 1 dollar monthly charge on your CC. It is a 1 dollar credit in your GB account.

I repeat, it is not a 1 dollar charge on your CC. It is a 1 dollar credit in your GB account.

:)

You are not charged $1 every month. Its a one time verification charge. You will get a monthly statement from GB showing a $1 credit.

Edit: what strickj said. I guess I should have finished the thread before responding...

Edited by bubbadavis
strickj beat me to it

I have sold and bought many guns on GB.

I have sold everything I have ever listed there.

Just remember you will be dealing with individuals and some dealers and shops. Make sure to communicate.

Also make sure to read and re read any listing there. (when buying) Also if you can email the seller and get a phone number to talk to.

Do the same if your selling.

I have had zero problems.

I buy and sell on GB a bit. Aside from the fees selling is quick and easy. I've sold items from a $2000 rifle to a $10 butterfly knife never had an issue. Yeah the fees suck, but so does paying for a classified ad.

I've bought a couple of guns that had overstated conditions, but for the most part everything has been completely as advertised.

I buy and sell on GB a bit. Aside from the fees selling is quick and easy. I've sold items from a $2000 rifle to a $10 butterfly knife never had an issue. Yeah the fees suck, but so does paying for a classified ad.

Check out Ebay / PayPal fees. You'll be thrilled with GB's fees!

Bought way too much from them. Never had any problems and have actually gotten some great deals on some great pieces. I have also formed good relationships with dealers and shops that I never would have known about. Fees are part of business. Consider that you won't pay sales tax, unless you buy from some Tn dealers, and that alone saves a good percentage. Biggest problem I have with GB is that it is worse than 'crack'....very addicting:)