Need help finding a western holster rig.

Will Carry

I have a Ruger Bisley Vaquero .357 and I'm trying to find a western rig on-line. There are dozens of web sites that sell western leather rigs. I don't want anything fancy, just a good quality plain holster and belt. I don't want to spend more than $200-250. If any of you guys have any advice I would be greatful.

file694554dae6eb4c01b0b207fde99e8fb9.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Triple K has sort of middle of the price range stuff, but quite serviceable and attractive.

Matter of fact, Ruger sells some of their holsters only (embossed with Ruger logo) from Ruger site for under $40.

Single Action-Sturm, Ruger & Co., Inc.

TripleK at Gun Holsters and Gun Magazines by Triple K ::

But you can likely do better buying from an online reseller of their stuff.

Cabela's has a lot of western holster/belt stuff. CTD has some. Sportsman's Guide has some.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Wll:________________

We have several holster / gun belt sets at our house; at least four from El Paso Saddlery (....link here: El Paso Saddlery - Holsters ....) and one from Bob Mernickle (....link here: MERNICKLE HOLSTERS .....). As fond as i am of Bob Mernickle (...he is a delightful man and a great supporter of single action shooting stuff...); i like the El Paso Saddlery stuff the best; because it's oil tanned and i like the old time finish. Bob Mernickle likes the newer water based acrylic finishes for his stuff. I haven't ordered anything from them (...el paso saddlery...) in several years; but they used to be one of the best suppliers of period correct holsters and old time military holsters and gun belts available. Mernickle does period correct stuff as well as CAS fast draw stuff as well.

I know this sounds strange; but i like the old Mills Pattern web type belts from the Indian Wars period better than the double thickness gun belts. Both El Paso and Wolfears Equipment make them. The belts are tough, good looking, and more comfortable than a double thickness leather belt (...we have used both the leather and web belt style gunbelts with our sets...); especially if you like the wide rifle catridge belt style (...we do, they look great...). Try this guy out; he makes the best i've ever seen: Wolf Ears .... . We have a couple of combination belts from him that have both 12 gage loops (...he can do any loop; rifle, pistol, or shotgun...) and 45 colt loops on it. It's tea stained to turn it a light tan to straw color that is the greatest looking belt i've ever seen. It has the old time "US" brass buckle on it. Best of all, its somewhat adjustable. You cant get that with the old time leather gunbelts (...except in the belt buckle holes...).

All the guys listed above are great to deal with. We've ordered a ton of stuff from them (...especially el paso saddlery...) over the years.

Hope this helps.

leroy

I have been looking at El Paso Saddlery. I want a holster and a cartridge belt. Lined or unlined? They do that? That's what I mean. I don't know diddly about gun leather. Even though I will probably wear it mostly around the house in my underwear, I want a good quality rig that will do the Bisley justice.

Will:___________

....I have been looking at El Paso Saddlery. I want a holster and a cartridge belt. Lined or unlined? They do that? ....

We've got a couple of the #1 "Moneybelts". They are a folded design, sewn at the bottom. They are comfortable and look great. The one piece design essentially lines the belt on the inside. RE: Lined holsters. El Paso lines the holsters (...we have a couple of lined ones...) and lets the lining come over the top of the holster and down the outside about 1/4 inch or so. They look great and the lining can be re-done. All of our rigs are the old timey oil tanned russet. The holsters are the "original 1890" lined. We also have a couple of military style flaps. The build quality is great; and you simply cannot beat the "authenticity" factor.

In the interest of "full disclosure"; some folks dont like el paso; they say that the customer service is not what it once was (...a son has took over...). For what it's worth, weve never had any problems. Take a look at the CAS forums and see what they say. Secondly, it usually takes about 90 or so days from order to delivery. That is about the norm for this stuff. Take a look at these posts for additional information: El Paso Saddlery - Holsters - THR

As an interesting side note; the original El Paso Saddlery built holsters for the great Tom Threepersons, the legendary El Paso border lawman. They are, in fact, the fathers of the "threepersons" holster design.

Hope this helps.

leroy

• 2 weeks later...