MCTS Intro to Competitive Shooting / TGO meet and greet

Music City Tactical Shooters - Pistol Match February 5th, 2011

Music City Tactical Shooters will be hosting a 7 Stage IDPA Introduction Match/TGO meet and greet on 02/05/2011. Greg Bell will be the Match Director for this event. It will be a great opportunity to experience competitive shooting match in a limited movement, round count so that every type of weapon is equal, non competitive evironment with some challenging stages.

We will be having a .22 caliber divison / all other calibers divisions on a heads up Man vs Man Free side match after the Intro Match. Please bring a few boxes of ammo for this match. We hope to see you there for a GREAT match and to meet fellow TGO members!

NEXT MATCH: IDPA Intro Match - February 5, 2011

75 Rounds Minimum Pistol - Match

Click Here for Stage descriptions

This type of match is designed for CCW and EDC equipment. We will have experienced shooters there to display speed and accuracy on the stages when practice is done properly.

Edited by HOGNUT
Added Man vs Man division detail
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is our pleasure! Anyone that is in attendance, please let us know about your experience. We hope to do more of these shooting clinics in the near future.

This event is for beginners, significant others, newly acquired CCW holders and experience competition shooters. The only way to get better with your shots is to practice with real world type scenarios that we hope to never encounter.

Edited by HOGNUT

Ok, I did. Here it is for everyone else.

Times and Fees

Times

* Set up 7:00 AM for anyone who wants to help.

* New Shooter Orientation begins promptly at 8:30 AM.

* Shooter's meeting 8:45 AM.

* Match start time at 9:00 AM.

Match Fees

* Members: $15.00

* Members: Multiple Gun on 1st weekend only: FREE

* Non-Members & 1st Time shooters: $20.00

* Non Member: Multiple Gun on 1st weekend only: $5.00

* Youth: $5.00

* Specialty Matches: Regular Price for each entry

* Any Side Matches: FREE

As always, we do not limit the number of participates for any of our matches nor we will not be placing restrictions on the pistol caliber used. Just remember that if you would not use it to defend yourself on the street, it may not be the right choice for this event that is intended for real world scenarios and CCW/EDC.

As we all know, IDPA is a game and shouldn't be considered tactical training. On the other hand we also know that many valuable shooting skills can be learned and enhanced by participating. At the match this past Saturday I was speaking to one of our newer shooters and he said something that I have heard on more than one occasion but it remains poignant. “I thought I was a good shot until I came out here and found out I wasn’t.†He then commented on the thought that if he had this much trouble performing under the pressure of the clock, how would he perform if he actually had to defend himself. I think that is a very important question each of us who own or carry guns for self protection should think about. This match is a perfect time for everyone to get out and meet some of your fellow shooters, have a good time and maybe even learn something. I hope to see all of you there.

Rick

Edited by CatsEye

Rick,

That is a great post. I first started shooting IDPA when I was in the process of getting my carry permit. My motivations were to learn to handle my weapon better and get some practical practice on a regular basis. After a couple of matches the competitive aspect of it took over for me, however I am still learning every single time I shoot a match and getting some practical practice.

IDPA is what you make of it, we do have a few regulars that shoot purely for the practice and are not trying to get down to that last second.

IDPA's principle is geared toward defensive pistol shooting. Competition shooting can not replace training and training well. You will get what you put into it. However, shooting with a little pressure does tend to bring out our weaknesses. This shooting sport like many others is a game. We do strive for excellence in our stage designs to emulate real world scenarios and new shooters' experience. I too thought I was a good shot standing in front of a target wasting bullets while my weapon was pointing at the target. As most indoor ranges do not allow drawing from the holster(which I have not been to an indoor range in over 4 years so this may have changed), you can not get the same type of experience at our range that you can other places. The competition shooting was the best thing that I took a chance on from the indoor ranges.

As our motto states: When you only get one shot...Let us unlock your potential.

I have been thinking about checking out a match and it is on my birthday, so I guess it's a present for me. :rolleyes: As far as competing, how much experience is required? Trying to decide if I should watch and learn or jump in with both feet.

Thanks

Glad to hear about the upcoming birthday. Hope you can make it out to the Intro Match. This type of match requires little or no movement plus no reloads on the clock. This is the most basic type of match possible. You will be fine coming out as long as the safety officer does not see down the barrel(which he will YELL Muzzle or STOP). Hope you can make it out so that we can discuss shooting range plans.

You will be disappointed in watching from the sidelines on your birthday.

At this point I'm planning on coming. Not just to shoot, but finally meet this "HOGNUT"...that's got to be worth the $20 fee by itself. :) I've been wearing Greg out with questions via PM so I want to meet him too.

I'm excited about giving this a try. I've been reading the rulebook and new shooter package links on your site. I don't really care how slow or bad I shoot. Just wanting to learn, have fun, and be safe. I'm also trying to get my son to give it a try if he's in from college that weekend.

At this point I'm planning on coming. Not just to shoot, but finally meet this "HOGNUT"...that's got to be worth the $20 fee by itself. :) I've been wearing Greg out with questions via PM so I want to meet him too.

I'm excited about giving this a try. I've been reading the rulebook and new shooter package links on your site. I don't really care how slow or bad I shoot. Just wanting to learn, have fun, and be safe. I'm also trying to get my son to give it a try if he's in from college that weekend.

I am glad you are getting a chance to come out. Meeting me is worth the $20.00 and more. Meeting Greg, he may have to owe you! If I remember, I will be wearing a pink Snoopy shirt.

Serious wording: Remember it is a game but always go as fast as you can and hit the targets. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. You can not and will not have fun if you are constantly missing the target. This sport does take practice. We hope you have fun and come to the range more.

but always go as fast as you can and hit the targets.

Thanks. That's sort of the same principle I learned when riding dirt bikes...only go as fast as you can stop. You can tell by the rulebook that accuracy is favored over speed since you have the miss penalties and points down for being outside the "-0" zones. I'm sure those can add up fast if you're not careful. I made a couple of full size targets off the drawing and have started doing some dry firing and target transitions exercises.

Speaking of targets, I know you can order some online, but can you buy any locally?