MCTS Intro to Competitive Shooting / TGO meet and greet

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a single elimination bracket match, until it gets down to the final 2 shooters then it will go to winner of 2 out of 3. The brackets will be determined by drawing out of a hat.

It is a lot of fun. Our last man on man I had a good day or got lucky and took it.

If we have a large pool it could take several runs if you are doing well. You can never bring too much ammo.

Hoping to make it out to this one after taking a little break...

To all the new guys who are planning on coming out, it'll be great to have you, shooting matches is super fun and it's a great bunch of guys (and gals), plan on getting hooked!

Guest gw2and4
I hope I can make it, in order to save others the personal infamy of being in last place.

Well then you've got some competition sir. I'm aiming for that last place overall spot since this will be my first time running a revolver... :up: :up:

Seriously though--hope to see you there. I'll be the SO who's embarrassingly bad with revolver reloads. I think I'm down to 5 whole seconds... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone 4

Well then you've got some competition sir. I'm aiming for that last place overall spot since this will be my first time running a revolver... I'll be the SO who's embarrassingly bad with revolver reloads. I think I'm down to 5 whole seconds... Ugh.

Well, as I understand it reloads will be off the clock you won't have that to blame. :surrender:

Guest gw2and4
Well, as I understand it reloads will be off the clock you won't have that to blame. :)

Yeah, IF I land all the shots on the stages that aren't limited Vickers. I'm preparing for the possibility of needing to reload a time or two. Although at 6 seconds to git 'r done, I'd be smarter to take the 5 points down and be done with it. Even with a failure plus a missed shot, it's 7.5 seconds. So a wash either way...

Either way, it'll be good laughs. Stopped by CHMR today and at 25 yards--couldn't hit a damn thing with this wheel gun. After the clays on the berm were heard taunting me, I drew my Glock 23 and broke them with one round each. :):surrender:

Gives me a new found respect for Jerry Miculek and all those other champion revolver shooters out there... :)

Sent from my iPhone 4

Well we are just 1 week away. The weather report was wrong today as the high for Nashville was originally supposed to be in the high 40's. It was 64 degrees at 2:15 PM today. I hope the weather report is also wrong this upcoming Saturday and is close to the weather today. If so this should bring a few more new TGO faces to the range.

Well we are just 1 week away. The weather report was wrong today as the high for Nashville was originally supposed to be in the high 40's. It was 64 degrees at 2:15 PM today. I hope the weather report is also wrong this upcoming Saturday and is close to the weather today. If so this should bring a few more new TGO faces to the range.

Mostly sunny with a high around 44 according to noaa.org...

Looks like it's going to be a pretty nice day.

We will have representatives directing parking in the morning. There will be 3 different areas of parking available. Please be mindful and do not park on the road.

MCTS members please show your card to the parking representative.

Edited by HOGNUT
Well then you've got some competition sir. I'm aiming for that last place overall spot since this will be my first time running a revolver... :):up:

Seriously though--hope to see you there. I'll be the SO who's embarrassingly bad with revolver reloads. I think I'm down to 5 whole seconds... Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone 4

No worries, my man. I intend to take last place in either ESP or SSP, depending on where my Sig lands. Since I don't own a revolver, I cannot steal last place from you in your chosen discipline. I invite you to compete in whatever division I land in - I'll lend you my gun - in order that I will take last place.

Seriously, though, I don't want to come in last, but I'll be using the experience as a personal eye-opener - I want to know just how bad I am. Once I have a baseline, I can figure out how to improve, right? I have to start somewhere...

Guest gw2and4
No worries, my man. I intend to take last place in either ESP or SSP, depending on where my Sig lands. Since I don't own a revolver, I cannot steal last place from you in your chosen discipline. I invite you to compete in whatever division I land in - I'll lend you my gun - in order that I will take last place.

Seriously, though, I don't want to come in last, but I'll be using the experience as a personal eye-opener - I want to know just how bad I am. Once I have a baseline, I can figure out how to improve, right? I have to start somewhere...

Funny stuff here. We all do strange things on the timer. Some of us more so than others! All depends on the day and frame of mind. Just go slow and be deliberate about safety, and you'll have a good day and want to come back. They say slow is smooth, and smooth is fast. And they're right. After my first IDPA match in December of '09, I've visited indoor static ranges fewer than 5 times. Before that, I'd go at least weekly to the indoor range nearest my house. Dynamic IDPA range time is where it's at for me these days...or outdoor at CHMR training folks or hanging with friends.

If the number of attendees permits it, I plan to also run an SSP gun. I plan to NOT finish last in SSP...but we will see how the day turns out.

Most Sigs are SA/DA or DAO, so you might be in SSP as well. Single action only bumps you to ESP unless it's .45ACP "manly bullets" -- which will put you up in CDP. They'll square all that away at the registration table for you, so no worries.

Looking forward to meeting all the TGOers on Saturday. Will be a lot of fun. Perhaps we should do TGO name tags...

Guest gw2and4
Make that 21 if I can make it. Oh, what about the weather? There could be an inch of snow saturday morning.

Thanks for the reminder to wear/bring wool socks. A bit of an inside joke for a few at the last match, but a good chance to remind everyone else. Unless it's a given and me being from Miami just puts me at a serious disadvantage to know these obvious things? (don't answer that...)

Sent from my iPhone 4