Just got a 1911 and here's the skinny....(beware 56k pics)

Guest NashvegasMatt

Guest NashvegasMatt

So I was chatting with a friend about looking for a s&w 442 revolver to mess around with. Something different than the usual stuff I go for. He suggested that I go to D&T Arms out in rivergate... I had never heard of the place but decided to head up there on Friday morning. It was tax day for me, so I had some peanuts to blow. I walked in and immediately loved the layout and space and size of the showroom. There wasn't a lick of clutter anywhere, and that is right up my alley. As I approached the cases, I was just pricing everything I knew out, and their prices were good.... really good. The same model 442 on my side of town would have cost me about $50 more. As I spoke with the gentleman there, I realized that they were knowledgeable about their stuff. This is something else I liked, because I'm no expert and I like to trust the people I'm buying from. Long story short, I go in for a S&W 442 and come out with an American Classic Commander 1911. After reading the reviews, tons of people love this gun and say that it is really durable. After all I believe it is a sub-company of bersa unless I'm mistaken. Shoots beautifully other than the 8th round/ first load issue that most people have with these ACT mags. I won't say what it cost, because I'm not gonna sell them out, but it was a great deal! I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking. Needless to say... I'll definetely be back there.

28481679.jpg

84194002.jpg

72875242.jpg

20438921.jpg

Size difference between my XD sub and the new 1911

79596942.jpg

Edited by NashvegasMatt
  • Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Change the barrel bushing and the magazine right now. I owned one. Call metro arms for the bushing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why does he need to change the bushing? and if he gets a new one from Metro how is it different than the one that came with the pistol?

+1 on the barrel bushing. Another member had his crack within 200 rounds. Mine showed a crack at about 500. Buy a Kart bushing and don't look back. Replacing the factory bushing with another factory bushing will only lead to the same thing. Also, make sure it will eject live ammunition. Mine had a longer than spec extractor as well as the nose not being contoured correctly. Both of the problems prevented loaded ammunition from being cleared from the gun without a little bit of finesse.

And plan on the bluing to be thin. Mine had wear marks from the box it shipped in. And carrying it every day for the last 4 months has lead to some serious wear on the sharp corners.

With that being said they are the best bang for the buck there is. Mine shoots great and has always went bang since day one. I carry it every day and have no doubts about its ability to go bang when I need it to. It also has a better frame to slide fit than my Colt and the Metro shoots better than the Colt as well. The trigger is nice from the factory but I did replace all the internals in mine for "peace of mind".

Dolomite

Thanks for coming by and supporting D &T NashvegasMatt ! It was great to meet you.

If you want after market parts for a 1911, the easiest method is hitting Midwayusa.com

I wouldn't worry that you'll need that bushing replaced anytime soon.

Few folks shoot as much as Spoolie, he really pushed that thing to the max but they are "Spool Proof" !

Guest NashvegasMatt

Question.... I'm buying an extra mag.. The factory is an 8rd, I'd there a reason why a 7rd wouldn't work... Are they the same size? Will my idea work?

Guest Plainsman
Question.... I'm buying an extra mag.. The factory is an 8rd, I'd there a reason why a 7rd wouldn't work... Are they the same size? Will my idea work?

If I were you, I'd look into Wilson or Chip McCormick mags. Those are the ones I have the most experience with, and use Wilson's in my carry gun.

If I'm not mistaken, the seven vs eight round thing has to do with spring tensions in the magazine. There is debate is on whether the eight round springs are weakened since they had to use that space to hold that extra round. I have not had very much trouble with eight round mags myself, but each to their own. Some mention the base plates being added to hold that round, but I believe thats inaccurate....someone correct me if I'm wrong about that. If your question is in regards to their compatibility....both will work.

+1 on the Wilson Combat mags...work flawlessly every time, all the time.

This. I recently bought some Wilson mags based on some feedback on them here. 100% reliable and well made.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Here's my post on the AC barrel bushing: http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handguns/46814-part-failure-american-classic-commander.html

While it doesn't show well in the pics, the metal at the break is crystallized.

Dolomite did some work on my sear tolerances and properly lubed it with moy grease.

I believe he has replaced most if not all of the MIM parts in his.

I have not as it not a carry piece.

Mine, also a Commander, is 100% reliable after about 500 rounds of break-in

Edited by Gotthegoods
Guest Lester Weevils

I recently got a full size American Classic II. Only have run 50 rds of .45 thru it so far but it digested the ammo with no hiccups.

Dunno nothin about 1911 but the out of the box groupings were perhaps a little better than other pistols I have shot a lot. With more practice and break-in, maybe will get better yet, but it is most likely the archer and not the arrow. The AC II seems to be doing its part.

Sorry I missed you when you came back Matt, but glad you got something YOU will enjoy. :confused: BTW, the wife will enjoy it as well once she shoots it!. If you want to try good mags we keep the Wilson Combat 7 and 8 round mags in the store. Both have the pads on them. Enjoy shooting!