Guest Jon

how do you carry  

155 members have voted

1. 1. how do you carry

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aside from any "tactical" advantage, most people don't want to deal with the hassle and attention of OC. I certainly don't. I carry for self-defense and not to make a political statement. That said, I really have no objection to people who OC in appropriate circumstances (not at the bank etc...), and I have done so in very limited circumstances such as hiking in backwoods areas or around my own home/office. As for all the other debates: Glocks are better than 1911s, ARs are better than AKs, 9mms are better than .45s and Coke is better than Pepsi. I just saved you a lot of time. You can thank me later.:confused:

...As for all the other debates: Glocks are better than 1911s, ARs are better than AKs, 9mms are better than .45s and Coke is better than Pepsi. I just saved you a lot of time. You can thank me later.:confused:

Well...at least you got the the big one right, Coke IS better than Pepsi...then again, I didn't even know anyone actually thought otherwise! :stir:

Aside from any "tactical" advantage, most people don't want to deal with the hassle and attention of OC. I certainly don't. I carry for self-defense and not to make a political statement. That said, I really have no objection to people who OC in appropriate circumstances (not at the bank etc...), and I have done so in very limited circumstances such as hiking in backwoods areas or around my own home/office. As for all the other debates: Glocks are better than 1911s, ARs are better than AKs, 9mms are better than .45s and Coke is better than Pepsi. I just saved you a lot of time. You can thank me later.:confused:

Also, four wheel drive is better than two wheel drive, hydrostat is better than gear trans., snow plow is better than blower, and R4 tires are better than R1 (thanks TractorByNet).

And, even though it's personal preference, CC is better. :stir:

Where i'm from, everything is a coke. We don't refer to cold drinks as soda or pop, we refer to them all as coke. Pepsi? That is just something strange and not offered by hospitable folks to guests. People even ask "What kind of coke would you like?" That is how ingrained coke is!

I had to have fun with this one. It is like Bud VS Miller and Ford VS Chevy. I've yet to hear anyone order a Jack and Pepsi.

Well...at least you got the the big one right, Coke IS better than Pepsi...then again, I didn't even know anyone actually thought otherwise! :P

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this has already been settled...Coke is better than Pepsi, but only Dr. Pepper is the nectar of the gods.

On topic, OC v. CC is very much a function of location. Where I live, OC is no option. For the OP, in Cleveland, it may be. Can we quit now?

Also, manual transmissions FTW. I respect the autos, and the paddles, et al., but can they really replace the ear-to-ear smile that comes from running a big motor up to 5000, then slamming into 2nd with a screech? /my teenaged self

I carry lightly concealed.

That is, you can easily see it if I reach into my pants pocket or if my coat is slightly open. The holster is butted up agains tthe fist belt loop on my pants. Also, I wear shirts that are rarely long enough to cover the muzzle either. And if I bend, even slightly, the pistol will be in full view of anyone looking.

I have been asked about the pistol on a few occassions so I know there are plenty more people that are seeing it but don't seem to be concerned. I generally do look a bit rough around the edges but I think people are less concerned about how I look and are more concerned about how I act. I think most people who get into trouble while carrying do so because of their actions more so than how they look or if their pistol is able to be seen.

I have made a decision to start dressing in a more professional manner and to clean my appearance up. Not because I have to but because I am just tired of looking like a scum bag.

Dolomite

Sorry to rain on your parade, but this has already been settled...Coke is better than Pepsi, but only Dr. Pepper is the nectar of the gods.

Maybe of "fallen Gods" or those who like caugh syrup. :D

Also, manual transmissions FTW. I respect the autos, and the paddles, et al., but can they really replace the ear-to-ear smile that comes from running a big motor up to 5000, then slamming into 2nd with a screech? /my teenaged self

Having much experience with both I can say, yes...come ride The Dragon with me sometime and I'll prove it. :)

On topic, OC v. CC is very much a function of location. Where I live, OC is no option. For the OP, in Cleveland, it may be. Can we quit now?

I was under the impression oc was permissable through out tn. Do you or anyone else have a link to where I can research the laws on some cities and counties I frequant the most?

I occasionally open carry when the situation dictates, but nearly all the time, my firearm is concealed. I can think of few things that would pizz me off more than some loudmouth confronting me about why I feel the need to carry a gun. That's a situation you'll not win.

I was under the impression oc was permissable through out tn. Do you or anyone else have a link to where I can research the laws on some cities and counties I frequant the most?

OC is legal everywhere in the state; what I stated was simply my opinion regarding potential reactions by my fellow citizens should I choose to OC.

Attitudes vary greatly, especially between rural, suburban, and urban communities regarding carry. I live in Williamson County, which tends to be very pro-2A politically, but I've found it to be a place where demonstrations in favor of 2A rights (or others; it's not really an area that is kind to those wishing to make ideological stands) are not held in high regard. It's simply not a place for making waves.

Much like other parts of the state, folks here desire to be left alone, but there is not the same firearms culture you might find in more rural areas. Out of respect for local attitudes, I don't OC. While there are plenty of places in TN where a gun on the hip wouldn't be noticed or cared about, I believe that where I live, it would attract more attention than I need or want.

Maybe of "fallen Gods" or those who like caugh syrup. :)

Having much experience with both I can say, yes...come ride The Dragon with me sometime and I'll prove it. :)

DEAL. I've had to slow down due to some ticketing issues, but if you want to unwind that car you spoke of someplace twisty, hell yes I'll ride along.

DEAL. I've had to slow down due to some ticketing issues, but if you want to unwind that car you spoke of someplace twisty, hell yes I'll ride along.

Well...my current car is a 6Sp manual so I can't use it to prove my point.

That said, I organize an event for my car club called the "Spring Cruise and (Clay) Pigeon Shoot" which is both a great ride from Nashville area up to Montgomery County Shooting Complex plus a lot of fun showing your expertise (or lack thereof) in trying to hit those GD Birds. :rolleyes:

When we have a date worked out I'll let you know...we had one attendee last year from TGO!

So from what I take most of you do not open carry for the simple reason of what others might think of you or your gun. Does it not bother any of you that constitutionally we have the right to openly carry our firarms? I agree with 99% of what everyone is saying. I see your points. Its just really presses my buttons how....political our nation has become. I see the general publics point. A few idiots ruined hanguns for everyone. I just hate being punished for the stupid things other people have done.

So from what I take most of you do not open carry for the simple reason of what others might think of you or your gun. Does it not bother any of you that constitutionally we have the right to openly carry our firarms? I agree with 99% of what everyone is saying. I see your points. Its just really presses my buttons how....political our nation has become. I see the general publics point. A few idiots ruined hanguns for everyone. I just hate being punished for the stupid things other people have done.

this^^^

CC is my preferred choice. However there have been times due to the pistol I was transporting that I had no option to CC and I have OC.

I prefer to CC for several reasons.

1. No reason to cause anyone any concern. If someone sees my Hand gun, they have the right to call LEO and then LEO has the right to ask to see my HCP. No big deal, just cost LEO and me time.

However, my main reason is number 2.

2. If a BG is around with bad intentions, no reason to show my cards before he does. (I don't want to be target 1, just because BG saw my OC and then BG planned an attack based on that fore knowledge).

I like that in TN, I am allow to OC and I am very glad I am allowed to CC.

It has been said, it is preferred we hide it. I have hear someplace (I believe a co workers) that it was written that way so that it would not be against the law if a person did not properly CC, or they printed a pistol though clothing, or if they accidentally showed it while reaching for something on a high shelf as it is in some other states. I do not know if that is true or not.

Edited by vontar