concealed carry permit class in Knoxville

Hi,

I'm sure this has been asked before (and shame on me for not searching) but can anyone recommend a good place in knoxville to take the concealed carry permit class? I don't want to spend a ton of money but I want to really learn the ins and outs, legal restrictions and etc.

I actually don't plan on carrying (not regularly anyway) but I'd like to be able to have a handgun in the car or take one camping and not worry if I were to get pulled over or had to use it for some reason.

Any recommendations?

--Matt

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I took mine at the Knox County Sheriff's indoor range. The instructor, a Sgt. with the Sheriff's Department, was excellent. It was reassuring to get the information straight from a LEO. The range was excellent as well. The class ran from 7AM until about 7PM. We were told to bring a lunch. I hear classes at some places last no longer than four hours. I don't recall the price but I felt it was well worth it. I have a business card somewhere with contact info but can't seem to put my hands on it right now. Someone at the Sheriff's office could probably help if you were interested.

I'd also recommend the Knox County Sheriff. IIRC it was 85 bucks for the class and took all of the twelve hours.

If for no other reason it is your one and only chance to use the best indoor shooting range in east tennessee.

I found the contact info in my rolodex

Contact Larry Herron 865-573-5264 or 659-6451. Leave a message

Guest Overtaker
can anyone recommend a good place in knoxville to take the concealed carry permit class?

Can't help you out for the Knoxville area, but Tennessee issues a "Handgun Carry Permit," which does not require concealment.

Coal Creek Armory in Knoxville, Austin's in Oak Ridge, Frontier Firearms in Kingston, Gunny's in Maryville, Sevier Indoor Range in Sevierville, ...

I am interested in this thread as well for my wife's HCP. We have had good dealings with the shop at Frontier Firearms. Does anyone have any experience with their HCP class? She is just getting interested in shooting, and our visits there have always been positive. Any thoughts on the quality of instruction there? I like the idea of the Sheriff's Dept too.

I am interested in this thread as well for my wife's HCP. We have had good dealings with the shop at Frontier Firearms. Does anyone have any experience with their HCP class? She is just getting interested in shooting, and our visits there have always been positive. Any thoughts on the quality of instruction there? I like the idea of the Sheriff's Dept too.

The Bradley County Sheriff has the class for residents for $5 !!

- OS

Wow! I did not know that. She works near Knoxville, so that's why we were looking that direction. Sounds like she will be getting it right here in Bradley Co. :up:

Thanks!

It's been posted here a number of times by folks who have taken it, but I don't know how often they offer it.

- OS

Guest GLOCKGUY
Can't help you out for the Knoxville area, but Tennessee issues a "Handgun Carry Permit," which does not require concealment.

Is it just me or is this about as bad as correcting people for calling a magazine a clip?:rolleyes:

Guest TargetShooter84
Pellisippi State does them on a regular basis too. You might want to check them out.

leroy

Pellissippi State offers three

Looks like last one was in November, don't see it listed anywhere for this year yet:

http://pscal.pstcc.edu/calendar/EventList.aspx?view=EventDetails&eventidn=3007&information_id=6859&type=

- OS

That's where I went for my Permit class.....

It was taught by a Knox Co. Sheriff HCP instructor...he was very knowledgable and easy to work with.

4 hours of class at PSTCC, then 4 hrs at the range off Rifle Range Road.

Easy class but definitely learned alot.

Cost me about $60

• 3 weeks later...
Is it just me or is this about as bad as correcting people for calling a magazine a clip?:bowrofl:

I would say not because calling it a clip vs magazine affects nothing in reality. Whereas, by letting people know that you don't have to conceal, that changes a lot.

I would say not because calling it a clip vs magazine affects nothing in reality. Whereas, by letting people know that you don't have to conceal, that changes a lot.

Better that about half that do OC never knew they could, IMNSHO.

- OS