AR and slam fire

JeffsSig

In a AR

Have you personally had a slam fire with factory ammo?

Not a story your buddy told.

Not something you seen on the net but you personally experienced.

I have a lot of deep dimples on some ammo that I have chambered and was just wondering those who have seen it happen first hand.

Just made me wonder.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest gw2and4

Nope. Not first hand. I'm new to black rifles. Got my first one about 18 months ago. I have the same marks in the primers that you describe, but never had one ignite until I pulled the trigger. Have probably only put about 2K rounds through it.

I observed the same thing in a Garand after ejecting previously chambered rounds.

Sent from my iPhone 4

It's because of the floating firing pin. Seen it on thousands of rounds.

Not an issue with almost any factory or reloaded ammo with standard primers.

"I" have never seen it go off, but have "heard" of it happening. Almost always attributed to reloads.

Is this because of improper primer seating?

In the millions of rounds I have seen go down range running Marine Corps ranges, I have seen exactly ONE slam fire!!! It scared the living crap out of the PFC that it happened to. Ofcourse, I went berzerk thinking that he had done something wrong, even made the poor boy cry kicking him off the range as a "safety violator"....until the block NCO told me what had happened. I even aplogized to the poor kid and let him back on the range.

In the millions of rounds I have seen go down range running Marine Corps ranges, I have seen exactly ONE slam fire!!! It scared the living crap out of the PFC that it happened to. Ofcourse, I went berzerk thinking that he had done something wrong, even made the poor boy cry kicking him off the range as a "safety violator"....until the block NCO told me what had happened. I even aplogized to the poor kid and let him back on the range.

Do you know if the round was fed out of a mag, or as mentioned previously, bolt dropped on chambered round?

Guest 10mm4me

The dimples are normal. They occurr as a result of chambering and ejecting live ammo. It is almost improbable that a slam fire will occurr but anything is possible. It is said that live ammo can be chambered and ejected 6 or 7 times before it is no longer reliable to use.

Guest josh123
It is said that live ammo can be chambered and ejected 6 or 7 times before it is no longer reliable to use.

i have heard this from several different people..

I have personally had it happen to me.

Rifle: Stag Arms 14.5'' M4 on a Colt M16A1 lower.

Magazine: C Products

Ammo: Federal XM193 (new production)

I had fired to empty and the bolt locked to the rear. Magazine out, new magazine in, release the bolt...bang!

Everything was in spec, properly cleaned, and properly lubed prior to the range session. Luckily my rifle was pointed up and down range.

Keep this in mind when you charge your rifles in the house. You may shoot a million rounds in a lifetime and never have a slam fire or you may chamber a round on the 1st AK or AR you've owned and have one.

The point is, you never know so be careful with where your muzzle is pointed.