Deputies dumped man out of wheelchair

I agree, In the City Paper to day Sheriff Ricky Headley, Williamson Co, resigned his post yesterday to keep him out of jail on drug charges. :shrug:

I think law enforcement has went to hell in a handbasket.

I think the fact that these kinda things are not getting totally ignored anymore is a sign in a different direction. Think back to the "Cool Hand Luke" days. Although fictional, rang of a lot of truth.

Just look at our local celebrity LE Buford E. Tune! I think LE is getting cleaner if anything, but that's just my perception.;)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must have missed it, but what was the reasoning for dumping the guy out of the wheelchair? Did they doubt his disability or was it some other reason.

Please do not respond with cop/hate speculation. As misguided as it was something brought it on.

According to the victim, they wanted to "pat him down". He repeatedly told them he was a quadrapalegic(sp?) and could not stand but apparently, they did not believe him. This morning, he was on the Today show with his lawyer and yes, they are going after the deputy and the police department. The victim said it wasn't about race or money but rather the injustices that disabled people face every day.

Ironic part is this took place in Florida. A week or 2 ago, there was a news story out of Tampa about a 75 year old grandnother who was cuffed and stuffed for "illegally parking" at a Mcdonalds. The employee at the drive thru window asked her to pull forward while she waited for her french fries with no salt. Apparently a LEO was behind her and told her to move and questioned why she was there. She tried to explain to the LEO, that she was there per instructions of the employee but he didn't want to hear it. She was arrested for non compliance or something to that effect.

Weird things happen in Florida.

Richard

I don't understand how someone that has the use of their arms is considered quadriplegic.

Taken from Merriam-Webster Online:

quadriplegic

Main Entry:quad·ri·ple·gic audio.gifPronunciation: ˌkwä-drə-ˈplē-jik Function:noun Etymology:quadriplegia, from New LatinDate:1921 : one affected with paralysis of both arms and both legs

According to the victim, they wanted to "pat him down". He repeatedly told them he was a quadrapalegic(sp?) and could not stand but apparently, they did not believe him. This morning, he was on the Today show with his lawyer and yes, they are going after the deputy and the police department. The victim said it wasn't about race or money but rather the injustices that disabled people face every day.

Ironic part is this took place in Florida. A week or 2 ago, there was a news story out of Tampa about a 75 year old grandnother who was cuffed and stuffed for "illegally parking" at a Mcdonalds. The employee at the drive thru window asked her to pull forward while she waited for her french fries with no salt. Apparently a LEO was behind her and told her to move and questioned why she was there. She tried to explain to the LEO, that she was there per instructions of the employee but he didn't want to hear it. She was arrested for non compliance or something to that effect.

Weird things happen in Florida.

Richard

Its my contention that police officers use arrest as a means of intimidation. "if you don't comply I'm going to put you under arrest"....it doesn't matter if they're wrong, YOU'RE STILL GOING TO JAIL.

If you don't have the money to get out of jail, well then, you'd better settle down and not disagree with the officer! Otherwise, you go to jail, it goes on your record, people look at you sideways "oh you went to JAIL", if they keep you any length of time over 15 hours, you're likely not to show up to work..so you risk your job and income...so arrest is a serious thing!

Just what would it prove to arrest a 71 year old woman?

I say that the police are not special..they should have to observe the laws just as we citizens do and since they have more powers (I.E. arrest powers) then they should be subject to harsher penalties if they abuse those powers.

The Officers that I know all believe they're in public service...with all that public service entails. They're very polite and they don't use their authority as a bludgeon...they go out of their way to help folks..and in turn folks help them as well.

the other kind of officer..well, I have no use for them.

the department deserves to get sued for having that jerk on their payroll...that kind of poor judgment has no place in public service.

I've been having a private conversation on another board. We are a couple of guys who have a lot of Federal connections and pretty much know how LE works. It relates to this Boston thing:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYzho6Af_o[/ame]

What we notice is that "bully" cops seem to always be fat or have a small penis. Well, the small penis comment wasn't mine....:tinfoil:

Looks like we can add dumb bitch to the list.

BTW, this officer has been suspended without pay.

This is my opinion.

My family is from Boston. I would like to see this happen in the "Family" neighborhood. Their would be some very irate "fathers." Having a kind word to the youngster and to the parent(s) was all that was necessary. The only reason there is more "cleaning up" of police departments is because of technology and the prevalence of camera/video phones, and the police not realizing they're being recorded. Notice how the video post by Mars stopped as soon as the "cop" asked if the camera was on. DAM% THAT! Please don't take this as ALL LEO's are bad/corrupt, but that it is out there. More psych evaluations and/or mandated therapy might be necessary.

This cop and the one in FL might have been posted where they were due to events in prior arrests/shootings, or put back on the street too soon, I don't know, and I am not in law enforcement. It is just bad to have this happen.

That is all.

I've been having a private conversation on another board. We are a couple of guys who have a lot of Federal connections and pretty much know how LE works. It relates to this Boston thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYzho6Af_o

What we notice is that "bully" cops seem to always be fat or have a small penis. Well, the small penis comment wasn't mine....:tinfoil:

So on video tape he assulted a 14 year old. I would like to see the beginning of that video, the kid was probably being a smart ass.

Psych exams are absolutely needed. And in departments that take them seriously, they are helping.

Listen, I train cops. I'm not a cop basher. But there are an awful lot of folks out there with a badge who shouldn't have one.

This sort of crap should never happen.

I think we need to hire people as LE who always act in a professional manner - and PAY them appropriately.

So on video tape he assulted a 14 year old. I would like to see the beginning of that video, the kid was probably being a smart ass.

That's the excuse his supervisor used. The beginning and end does not matter. He acted unprofessionally and bullied the kid. His ass should have been gone before he hit the station.

That's the excuse his supervisor used. The beginning and end does not matter. He acted unprofessionally and bullied the kid. His ass should have been gone before he hit the station.

I agree, his thought was probably he would scare the piss out of the kid and teach him some respect, which was probably needed.

From the video, the cop was walking from his car. He inferred that he got out because the boy skating did not hear him. The other boy seen at the beginning of the video said that he tried to tell him (the kid skating) but he had his earphones on. (grain of salt needed). The cop says that is why he got out of the car. Then went straight into being an intimidating bada$$ hiding behind a badge. AGAIN, I do not think all LEO's are like this, but some are, as seen on court cases time and again. To Serve and Protect. Not intimidate and abuse. If a cop through my kid on the ground...:tinfoil:...my lawyer and I would be very wealthy.

I have a question for LEO's, or anyone who knows, really. If you, as an officer, are involved in a shooting/traumatic event in the line of duty, what does the department have you do? I know that there is suspension/other duty with pay in shootings, for review purposes, but what about therapy in house or other. Is it required or even made available?

Guest jackdog

That fat butt in Boston was just as wrong as that fat female deputy in Florida. Maybe being an overweight Leo has something to do with it. I see to very big law suite on the horizon

I have a question for LEO's, or anyone who knows, really. If you, as an officer, are involved in a shooting/traumatic event in the line of duty, what does the department have you do? I know that there is suspension/other duty with pay in shootings, for review purposes, but what about therapy in house or other. Is it required or even made available?

I’m sure each individual department has their own policy. Our department offered cops any type of therapy or counseling they wanted. They didn’t require any type of incident; you didn’t even have to give a reason. They had Doctors they recommended or you could pick whoever you wanted.

However…. Most people (cop or not) are not going to jump at the chance to go to a shrink.

I understand most people are not going to go see a shrink, I just wanted to see if they at least had the option. Thanks for the reply.

On a side note, my girlfriend will soon be going after her masters in psychology. Then it will be official, I am a gun nut.:(

Guest jackdog

strickj thanks for that clarification. I was wondering the same thing. Still hope they bring that cow up on assault charges, Treating anyone in that manner is just flat wrong.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,330870,00.html

Sheriff's Deputy Videotaped Dumping Man from Wheelchair Charged With Felony

Friday , February 15, 2008

service_ap_36.gif

TAMPA, Fla. —

A sheriff's deputy who was videotaped dumping a paralyzed man from a wheelchair onto a jailhouse floor has been charged with abuse of a disabled person, a sheriff's official said Friday.

Surveillance footage from Jan. 29 shows Hillsborough County deputy Charlette Marshall-Jones, 44, dumping Brian Sterner out of his wheelchair and searching him on the floor after he was brought in on a warrant after a traffic violation.

Sterner, 32, said when he was taken into a booking room and told to stand up, Jones grew agitated when he told her that he could not.

Marshall-Jones was suspended without pay, and three other deputies were placed on administrative leave pending an investigation.

Marshall-Jones is charged with abuse of a disabled person, a third-degree felony, said Hillsborough County Sheriff David Gee.

If convicted, she could be sent to prison for five years.

Gee said Marshall-Jones was aware of the warrant for her arrest, but that he didn't know when she might turn herself in.

Marshall-Jones could not be reached by phone for comment Friday night. A telephone number listed in her name has been disconnected.

Sterner, who can drive a car but has not been able to walk since a 1994 wrestling accident, was arrested at his Riverview home and taken to the Orient Road Jail on a charge of fleeing and attempting to elude a police officer, according to records. He had called for charges to be filed against Marshall-Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLYzho6Af_o

What we notice is that "bully" cops seem to always be fat or have a small penis. Well, the small penis comment wasn't mine....:D

that is hilarious! what a freaking fat a$$! i can't believe he actually threw that kid to the ground! having had many run-ins with the law as a teenager of skateboarding i would say that this officer has had his fair share of smart a teens to deal with. he drives around in that little go cart patrolling what looks to be an awesome area to skate. he probably told 30 kids that day to leave and when this one kept skating, he lost it. some of the guys i used to skate with would run, some would stay and argue, i was a stayer and listener. it was always so funny to watch, a grown man of authority engaging in a political debate with a teenager over their right to be there and skate. EVERY officer would end up pissed off and take our information. It never mattered, i think they just enjoyed getting to be officer BA for the day.