What about the.........

With all the talk about gas prices and middle east unrest, people have kindof forgot about the impending disappearance :D of incandescent light bulbs. I know lots of you guys have a SHTF stash of ammo, food, etc. How many of ya are stockpiling light bulbs? I haven't yet but thougt I might get a small stash :drama:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wife was JUST talking about that the other day! Ridiculous. Advice, if you think you'll need them, go hit the Dollar Tree or Dollar General and load up. You should be able to get a near lifetime supply for less than a C note.

I keep a supply. The new bulbs don't work in any light with a dimmer. They're either on or off. They apparently have a minimum voltage threshold. I like the control of a dimmer switch. I have, though, been replacing my non-dimmer bulbs with the new style through attrition.

The new bulbs are supposed to last longer than the incandescent bulbs. I'm not sure, then, why I've had to replace three of the new style bulbs in the last couple of months while some of the incandescent bulbs in my home (non-dimming) are still burning strong and have been for years.

The new bulbs are more expensive and I believe they contain mercury making them hazardous. If they last no longer than the incandescent bulbs, I don't believe the higher price offsets the savings in energy costs.

Who comes up with this stuff and why? If I need to make light, I'll take an incandescent. It'll make light with a limited or unstable voltage supply. The new style will not. I wish we could go back to the technology level of the 1960s. I don't need cell phones, computers, GPS, ipods, fancy light bulbs, digital TV, or Glocks.

My age is showing, isn't it? Yep, I'm a grumpy, old fashioned man. Give me a party line (Google it if it makes no sense), a map, AM radio, and a 1911 and I'm good to go.

My age is showing, isn't it? Yep, I'm a grumpy, old fashioned man. Give me a party line (Google it if it makes no sense), a map, AM radio, and a 1911 and I'm good to go.

Me too, and I'm half your age. Give me a call and we'll talk about it. My number is BR549!

Guest db99wj

I love Fluorescent dimable recessed, long lasting lighting bulbs. Problem is that I've just never seen them. I have some that are labeled that, but I'm usually replacing them every 12 months or so.

They make flourescent dimmers. Get your wallet out. Personally, I plan to rebel.

Leviton 1200VA Commercial Grade Mark X Fluorescent IllumaTech Dimmer - IllumaTech Switches - Leviton IPX12-70X

EDIT: Some tech, from what little I know. There is a voltage threshold, so the dimmer can't modify the peak voltage. A flourscent light actually flashes, so you have to modify the ON time of the flash. Requires more complex wave shaping than an incandescent, which only cares about how much power you give it.

Edited by mikegideon
Guest NashvegasMatt
I keep a supply. The new bulbs don't work in any light with a dimmer. They're either on or off. They apparently have a minimum voltage threshold. I like the control of a dimmer switch. I have, though, been replacing my non-dimmer bulbs with the new style through attrition.

The new bulbs are supposed to last longer than the incandescent bulbs. I'm not sure, then, why I've had to replace three of the new style bulbs in the last couple of months while some of the incandescent bulbs in my home (non-dimming) are still burning strong and have been for years.

The new bulbs are more expensive and I believe they contain mercury making them hazardous. If they last no longer than the incandescent bulbs, I don't believe the higher price offsets the savings in energy costs.

Who comes up with this stuff and why? If I need to make light, I'll take an incandescent. It'll make light with a limited or unstable voltage supply. The new style will not. I wish we could go back to the technology level of the 1960s. I don't need cell phones, computers, GPS, ipods, fancy light bulbs, digital TV, or Glocks.

That's not true, home depot sells a dimmer that regulates the low wattage used by the CFL's so that they do not flicker if placed on a dimmer. The company that makes the dimmer is called, lutron. Lutron Dimmer.

also, it is a scientific fact that CFL's contain no more, if not less mercury than incandescents. The reason that they last longer, is because they are essentially florescent bulbs in a small form. Using only 13 watts of power can give you 60 watts of output. Which means, the bulb won't burn as hot, and your electricity bill will not be as high per bulb.

Net mercury emissions for CFL and incandescent lamps, based on EPA FAQ sheet, assuming average U.S. emission of 0.012 mg of mercury per kilowatt-hour and 14% of CFL mercury contents escapes to environment after land fill disposal.

425pxmercuryemissionsby.png

Dimmable CFL bulb by G.E.

Edited by NashvegasMatt
Guest mds3d

Does anyone have the Bill# or status of the bill that removes incandescents from the market.

I actually do know someone who has CASES of non-cfl light bulbs stashed. He has a very photosensitive form of epilepsy and any extended amount of time under even Fluorescent light can trigger a seizure. He is usually okay during the day, but CFL's in his house would be a disaster.

He has even found overseas suppliers should it become necessary.

Honestly, I think it is kind of a dumb law. There have got to be better ways of encouraging CFL use without requiring it.

That's not true, home depot sells a dimmer that regulates the low wattage used by the CFL's so that they do not flicker if placed on a dimmer. The company that makes the dimmer is called, lutron. Lutron Dimmer.

also, it is a scientific fact that CFL's contain no more, if not less mercury than incandescents. The reason that they last longer, is because they are essentially florescent bulbs in a small form. Using only 13 watts of power can give you 60 watts of output. Which means, the bulb won't burn as hot, and your electricity bill will not be as high per bulb.

Net mercury emissions for CFL and incandescent lamps, based on EPA FAQ sheet, assuming average U.S. emission of 0.012 mg of mercury per kilowatt-hour and 14% of CFL mercury contents escapes to environment after land fill disposal.

425pxmercuryemissionsby.png

Dimmable CFL bulb by G.E.

OK, you got me. Someone finally overcame the dimmer issue. For the $23 it would cost for a new dimmer switch, I'll just stick to the incandescent for now.

Incandescent bulbs contain a filament in inert gas. Fluorescent and CFL bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. Not sure where you got your "scientific fact". The interwebs are full of them. I used to work for a company that makes light bulbs. No mercury is used in an incandescent bulb.

Although the chart was captivating, I wasn't referring to, or concerned about, mercury emissions from producing the power used to operate the light but I'll definitely take that into consideration when I start hugging trees and worrying about global warming. Here's what I was referring to:

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

Remember, I'm a grumpy old guy. I won't be swayed but you made a valiant attempt.

I didn't know there was a law about light bulbs. So far, I have liked the compact florescents okay in the limited applications in which I have used them - although in the car port it can be annoying in cold weather waiting for them to warm up enough to actually put out some real light. I am just obstinate enough, though, that the prospect of a law pertaining to them makes me want to stop using them and stock up on incandescent bulbs.

I didn't know there was a law about light bulbs. So far, I have liked the compact florescents okay in the limited applications in which I have used them - although in the car port it can be annoying in cold weather waiting for them to warm up enough to actually put out some real light. I am just obstinate enough, though, that the prospect of a law pertaining to them makes me want to stop using them and stock up on incandescent bulbs.

Manufacturing of current day incandescent bulbs is to cease 2012. Here's you some more info. and possibly some hope.

Bachmann Pushes Back Against Incandescent Light Bulb Ban

Here's the only schedule I could find:

100 watt bulbs go away on Jan 1, 2012

75 watt Bulbs go away in 2013

40 and 60 watt bulbs go away in 2014

Hopefully mandatory use of cfl's will go away soon after. Some of them do put out great amounts of light, but some of us old geezzers don't like to read by them. Pages of print look funny and I get headaches from the lighting.

Hopefully mandatory use of cfl's will go away soon after. Some of them do put out great amounts of light, but some of us old geezzers don't like to read by them. Pages of print look funny and I get headaches from the lighting.

The light spectrum is way different. Looks like they are making them mandatory by making the others unavailable. Our government just really sucks.

Guest NashvegasMatt
OK, you got me. Someone finally overcame the dimmer issue. For the $23 it would cost for a new dimmer switch, I'll just stick to the incandescent for now.

Incandescent bulbs contain a filament in inert gas. Fluorescent and CFL bulbs contain small amounts of mercury. Not sure where you got your "scientific fact". The interwebs are full of them. I used to work for a company that makes light bulbs. No mercury is used in an incandescent bulb.

Although the chart was captivating, I wasn't referring to, or concerned about, mercury emissions from producing the power used to operate the light but I'll definitely take that into consideration when I start hugging trees and worrying about global warming. Here's what I was referring to:

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Cleanup and Safe Disposal of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs | US EPA

Remember, I'm a grumpy old guy. I won't be swayed but you made a valiant attempt.

believe me, I'm no tree hugger, but I love as good debate.

I figure I will have some in stock as well, I have a nice building to store some in. In my home I have a mix of both types. In one room by my front door where it gets turned on and off the most, I can not keep a 7 year compact florescent working more then a few months before they burn out. I guess they don't like the on and off cycles. I can use normal 60 watt bulbs and they seems to last like I would expect.

That's it! I've made up my mind. Once enacted I'm going to get into the underground sales of incandescent lighting. I've always fantasized of a life of crime involving the black market. I'm gonna be the first hustlin' bulb gangsta. I'll go by the name "Black Light". I'll hire mules to ferry bulbs across the border and set up my empire a the top of the L&C tower. Mo money, mo money, mo money!