45 Auto recipe

Guest GunTroll

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The classic target load is 4.0 grains of Bullseye and a 230gr lead bullet for 810fps. Max load is 4.8gr of Bullseye for 884fps. Do NOT start with a max load, but back off at least 10% and work up in .1gr increments. I use 4.0gr of Bullseye with both cast and jacketed bullets. Good reliable target load. for range use, neqar-maximum loads are usually less accurate, and cause unnecessary wear on the firearm, as well as muzzle blast and flash.

Guest GunTroll

Thanks. Recipes are all I'm going for. Not my first rodeo.

Target purpose is fine but I'm also thinking of more defensive purposes as well. I'm more of a fan of factory made PD ammo but wouldn't mind having a stock pile of reloaded as well.

primer

bullet

powder

powder amount

I have used Clays, Longshot, HS-6 and Power Pistol.

Personally I like Power Pistol for my full power practice loads. I use 7.4 grains of Power Pistol under a 200 grain cast lead bullet. For mild shooting I use Clays. I use 4 grains under a 230 grain bullet. Makes for a mild shooter. Even though that is the max according to Hogdon I have loaded it up to 4.5 grains without issue but I recommend you stay within the specs or at least work up the load yourself. It can loosen the primer pockets if you are getting high into the pressures.

Dolomite

Quickload predicts that one at 25,000 PSI and that is with loading it with only .19 inch of bullet in the case. Deep seating that load would be disastrous. What manual did you find that load in?

CCI primer

8.4 of Unique

XTP 200 grain

99.9% of these are through a 1911.

Guest GunTroll

Thanks guys! Like I said I've never loaded for my 45's but feel the need to do it suddenly. Thanks for the starting platform. If any of you are like me starting a new cartridge reloading endeavor can be daunting with all the options. Again I'm mostly target but PD and of course the whole TEOTWAWKI are in my mind. ;)

Guest spoolie
Quickload predicts that one at 25,000 PSI and that is with loading it with only .19 inch of bullet in the case. Deep seating that load would be disastrous. What manual did you find that load in?

Trial and error, started with 7.2 grains and creeped up...Unique isn't that "strong" of a powder. I've shot about 10000 rounds with that recipe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wow, remind me not to stand anywhere near you at the range.

Trial and error, started with 7.2 grains and creeped up...Unique isn't that "strong" of a powder. I've shot about 10000 rounds with that recipe.

Guest spoolie

Great more range for me...I shoot 3-5 times per week with those dangerous loads, good thing I have a magical 1911 to hold all that power!!!

Reloading data is a guide, nothing more. If a person were to exceed the theoretical "max" through testing there isn't a problem. People don't realize the load data is meant to be safe for ALL firearms, even that 100 year old Saturday Night Special. With todays modern metalurgy what it is I think most maxes, especially in older catridges is well within the safe range. Because of liability lawyers screaming I think most of the load data today is a watered down version of yesteryears data as well.

With that being said I have exceeded the max on dozens of occasions. I still have all my fingers, toes, eyes and even my guns. I have loaded 45 ACP with well past the max with several different powders. I have also loaded up HEAVY 45 ACP loads. I have pushed 90 grain 9mm bullets past 2000 fps out of a blowback carbine, again without issue.

As long as you work the loads up using a slow, consistent recording method you are going to see problems before that they become dangerous.

As far as quickload I have found errors in its calculations, especially with subsonic velocities.

Dolomite

With all due respect Dolomite, I must disagree.

Guns are made within a set of tolerances and designed with certain parameters in mind. Changing those parameters may not result in immediate catastrophe, but it does wear parts prematurely and increase metal fatigue. People like yourself and Spoolie are why I consider buying used firearms ill-advised unless you know the history of the gun. Your ten years worth of overcharges that did nothing may result in cracked slide stops, frames, or things far worse for the poor sucker who unknowingly buys one of your castoffs. John Browning designed the 1911 and the cartridge, if he'd wanted to hot rod it he had the opportunity then. I know I am no match for the mind of John Browning when it comes to firearms design and again with all due respect, neither are you.

Nobody ever willingly stepped in front of a 230 RN at 855 fps. but I load :

5.7 WW 231 with a 200 gr. LSWC the classic "Mickey Fowler" loading..

6.9 Power Pistol with a 240 JHC Sierra ( old bowling pin load )

you don't want to know what I load my .38Super to.... but then again it was built to be a hot rod..and it is not in any load manual the gun has been running for 20 years.. maybe replaced hammer/sear twice... I have to side with Dolomite on this one.. but I'm not looking to start a conflict, just my experience and thousands of rounds at matches shows if it is built to run hard it will run hard but reloading for these guns is not for a beginner.. back to original posters question..

for handguns it is like real estate,..location,location,location.... almost any bullet out of a .45 will do the job but nothing will work as a peripheral hit. And a "one shot stop" is a myth,.that's why JMB gave you a magazine..use them until your foe falls....

John

Here is where I suggest anyone get a chronograph. I have found loads of popular powders that said max was "X". I worked up to "X" and I was no where near the claimed velocity nor was I getting signs of proper pressure. I have had to learn to adjust for the modern reloading manuals that were edited by lawyers instead of ballistic experts. That is also why I keep a lot of older reloading manuals around. Another place to get info is older gun writer articles. You can find some pretty stout loads from Sixgunner.com. The excuses for all the newer reduced loads range from " we used a pressure barrel with a tight chamber" "We reformulated the chemistry of the powder" or " they were always over pressured, we just did not have as good of test equipment back then". Regardless of the reason, I like and use many of those old loads because I test them over a chronograph and I have found that those old manuals and old gun writers really new what they were doing and they did not have a lawyer looking over their shoulders.