Thinking about downsizing...Thoughts?

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

I honestly wish Glock made something even smaller than the G27 :rolleyes:

I feel you man. I traded away my LCP because I didn't like it only to realize that I don't really like any pocket .380 and the LCR and 642, for me, are big enough that I feel like I might as well carry my Glock 26. What did I do? I found a P3AT for around $200 from CDNN sports. Do I like it? Sorta. Maybe it's the rougher texture of the frame or maybe I new what to expect but I actually shoot it just a little bit better than my LCP, which is to say I can hit center mass but I'm definitely more confident with a Glock. That said, I just didn't want to spend a lot on a .380. The Sig is nice but I personally wouldn't go "cocked & locked" for a pocket carry gun. The Kahr is nice but I didn't want to pay a price premium for a gun that would still require a break-in period. If you can conceal one, I'd say a revolver might be the way to go, but the good thing about a P3AT or a Taurus TCP is that you might be able to find one for $200 or so and keep your Glock.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I traded my Glock22 40 S&W for a XDm 40 full size. Now wish I had waited for the

compact XDm to carry. Full size just too big & heavy. Also like the Taurus PT709.

Good feeling gun, good carry size....yeah, I've read all the horror stories & the

good reports as well on Taurus. If I had the dough, I'd still buy it.

Decisions, decisions. LOL

I have a Ruger LCR in 38 and with Crimson Trace grips...I love that little gun as it's absolutely perfect for a pocket pistol when you don't want to or can't carry something larger. Were I buying one today I'd probably buy the new LCR in 367 Mag but at the ranges you are likely to use such a weapon, I think the 38+p is more than sufficient.

Well I may just hold off and save up cash for another pocket gun and keep the g27. I like the breaktop but since its a family antique I hate risking damage to it edc'ing it thats all.

I think you are on the right track here. A guy just can't have too many guns! I am a Smith and Wesson revolver nut, and currently own 4 J frames. However, I find myself more and more slipping a Ruger LCP 380 into my pocket. It sure carries a lot easier, has 2 more shots, is 100% reliable, and is probably more powerful than you realize. Don't get rid of grandpa's gun, and if you like shooting your Glock, I'd recommend keeping it as well.

Guest 85rx-7gsl-se

Actually I misread jreed's post on my smartphone. The 38 is my heirloom. The 32 is a recent auction pickup. Sorry for the confusion lol

The G27 is a great carry pistol if you can conceal it under a shirt or jacket, it's not good at all as a pocket carry pistol though. I've carried one for years as an Off Duty/Back Up pistol and tried every carry method with it. As an off duty pistol its great but it isn't the best off back up or hide out pistols. For this I lean more towards the P3AT, 442 and LCP as they will stash well in a a lot of different carry method's and are also lighter then the G27. One thing to bear in mind with a small DAO revolver is it will run just fine if you have to shoot from a jacket pocket or even an oversized pant's pocket. Don't try that with a pistol though, you'll jam it up quick.

I've been leaning towards one of Kahr's offerings or a Springfield EMP myself. The Glock 23 is my EDC gun but I'd like something slightly more concealable for when I might not be able to carry the Glock for reasons that are beyond my control.

Guest Ken45

I have a 3" 5 shot .357 revolver (Taurus 605) that I often use for summer carry. It's too long for a pocket but conceals well on my belt, better than the 1911s I usually carry. I consider the .357 to be just as good as the .45. I certainly feel it is adequate.

I've been kicking around something smaller that will fit in a pocket for summer use. I'll have to do some looking, but I'll probably stay with a revolver. I don't really want to go to .380 and I think I'd feel better with .357 than 9mm.

Ken

Guest cheez

When I can't carry my Glock 27 or 23 I carry my 642. I tried the .380 for a while but always felt way under gunned. The ballistics and lots of info out do not give me confidence in the mouse guns. I carry +P Critical Defense in the 642 so I feel a little better about leaving the Glocks at home. If it were me I would not part with the Glock just to get a pocket gun. Save up and get the little guy.

Guest tbone

I agree with most everyone here....keep your Glock and the family heirloom. Like one member posted earlier, I have regretted most everything I have previously sold. I understand taking care of great grandpa's gun, but you can still carry it while you are saving up your money. I apperciate the need to practice with your carry gun and that is where the real wear and tear comes into play with great grandpa's revolver. One possible option is you could practice a little less?

Another advantage to buying a modern gun is the potential to install Crimson Trace laser grips later. If I am in a situation where I am fighting for my life, I want every advantage I can get. As far as revolvers go, the Defender series from CT are smaller "boot grip" size that don't compromise conceal-ability. Both of my EDC have them, I am a big believer.

Anyway, take care and good luck!

Pocket carry is not my preferred method for carrying my primary. For one thing, carrying my primary in my strong side pocket means I can't carry my BUG in my weak side pocket (I have to put my cellphone, etc. somewhere.) I also can't stand IWB carry. When the weather is cool enough that I know I won't be removing my cover garment (jacket, overshirt, etc.) I like carrying my Ruger P95 OWB in a belt slide leather holster. The good thing about both of my 'pocket pistols' (a Kel Tec P3AT and a S&W 642) is that they are easily pocketable but will also disappear well under a shirt when carried OWB in a Fobus, etc. That said, pocket carry is just so darned easy and convenient that I end up carrying that way probably 1/3 of the time, at least - especially when we will only be in very low risk areas. As I am unlikely to be attacked by an 800 pound male silverback gorilla on crack, I personally feel okay with five or six rounds of either .380 or .38/.38+P the majority of the time.

Both the P3AT and the 642 have advantages and disadvantages when compared to the other. I can shoot the P3AT a little more accurately (of course, I've had the P3AT for years while I've only had the Smith for a little over a month but I have more trigger time on revolvers than semiautos, overall), the recoil from the P3AT doesn't seem as harsh (although I have only fired +P from the Smith so far - there might not be as much difference with the standard pressure stuff), the P3AT holds one more round (two more if you top off the mag after putting one in the chamber), reloading the semiauto would be faster (but if you are reloading a pocket pistol you are probably in a world of hurt) and the flat P3AT possibly hides a little better OWB (although not much.) I have found the P3AT to be much more comfortable in an ankle holster, if that is a consideration - although I rarely ankle carry.

The advantage of the Smith is that it is a revolver. When you are talking about such small-and-light-for-caliber guns, I feel that is a significant advantage. I believe that the P3AT and similar pistols are kind of 'pushing the envelope' for size/weight to caliber ratio with regards to reliability. My first gen P3AT wasn't reliable, at all but Kel Tec replaced it with a 2nd gen under warranty (actually, built me a new 2nd gen on my 1st gen frame) and it hasn't hiccuped a single time, yet. That said, I am still a bit of a wheelgun guy at heart and I simply trust revolvers to work when needed more than I trust semiautos.

My wife's Kel Tec P32 would make a nice little pocket gun, too. The advantage I see to it is that recoil is light enough I can fire it accurately with my weak hand, only. The P3AT jumps around when I try that with it and I miss as much as I hit. I haven't even tried that with the Smith, yet.

Finally, I have an NAA mini revolver in .22WMR that I carry as my weak-hand BUG . I paid $160 for it used in really good shape (but not LNIB.) I don't tend to think of a weak hand BUG as a replacement for my primary, however - more like an alternative to a knife. Personally, I don't think of the NAA as a primary carry gun but some folks do use them in such a role, especially if they need something that absolutely, positively disappears in a pocket. The fact that it is single action is a strike against it as a primary carry, too. That said, it disappears in a pocket even easier than the P3AT or 642, even with the oversized rubber grips I had to put on it in order to be able to control it very well. It is also extremely light. Honestly, I think I'd trust a good WMR round for SD at least as much as I'd trust a .38 S&W. Hornady (in their Critical Defense line) and Speer (Gold Dot) both recently announced the addition of 'short barrel' optimized WMR rounds to their SD ammo lineup, though it remains to be seen how well they perform vs. simply being marketing hype.

Edited by JAB
I have a 3G Glock 27 that I purchased as my EDC. I love the gun, however recently I decided to also start carrying my breaktop 5-shot revolver chambered in 38 S&W. The gun has been bobbed and snubnosed. I just really enjoy the convenience of a pocket pistol and considering I am in dress clothes alot it just works better for concealment that my G27. So now I have this crazy thought running through my mind of selling the glock and putting the money towards a better pocket carry pistol so that I am not carrying around my antique revolver all the time. Thoughts? Suggestions on good pocket pistols?

If finances prevent another pocket gun you might consider something like a Supertuck holster for your baby Glock. If you go with the velcro option nothing will be visible when in slacks and dress shirt. You might see if you can borrow one to see if it meets your comfort/concealability needs.