Taming the .375 H&H

I need some help / suggestions for taming the recoil on my Sako .375 H&H.

It's a fantastic gun, but my shoulder gives a little twinge every time I think about shooting it.

I've got to tame the beast! Any suggestions? Recoil pads, muzzle brakes, mechanical recoil reduction? What's worked for you?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You need to start reloading for it. No need to shoot full power loads just to punch paper at the range. A good cast bullet with a moderate powder charge will turn that beast into a pleasure to shoot. If I shot full power loads in my 45-70, it would knock my shoulder out of joint. I shoot cast loads with reduced powder and it is now fun to shoot.

Good luck with yours.

Trade it for a .22LR.

Heh. Unfortunately, cape buffalo have exactly zero respect for that cartridge.

I am more concerned w/ taming full power loads in the field... I want to be able to put several rounds on the aforementioned buff without dislocating my shoulder.

Heh. Unfortunately, cape buffalo have exactly zero respect for that cartridge.

I am more concerned w/ taming full power loads in the field... I want to be able to put several rounds on the aforementioned buff without dislocating my shoulder.

Grunt has an excellent solution with the "limb saver". I think i've got one laying around from our big bore rifle days. Fits over your shirt or shooting coat and has some recoil absorbing magic material in it.

We used to shoot some 375 H&H too. I learned early to either shoot offhand (...will help ya to learn to use a sling...) and let your upper body and torso rotate some under the recoil; or to use a "sissy bag" of some sort. Keep a good solid cheek weld and remember to pull the rifle solid agains your shoulder (...or the bag...). Hold on; but let the rifle rise in recoil (...it will anyway!...). We also used the "shooting stick" trick too (...like the old buffalo hunters...).

The absolute worst thing you can do is shoot these things from a bench or prone. We used to use shot bags (..."sissy bags"...) to cushion the top of the shoulder for prone shooting and to cushion the front of the shoulder from the bench. Use your extra "rabbit ear" bags and make sure they have shot or dry sand in them. You may want to make a couple about 6 X 6 X 6 out of old shot bags or benchrest bags.

I know you already know this; but it also helps to load em down a bit; but that takes the fun out of it!!

Hope this helps.

leroy