Android!!

robin48

I've got the HTC Hero which I've rooted and upgraded the ROM to Android 2.3. Also created an EXT2 partition on my sd card so I now have 1 GB of 'internal' memory. The Hero sucked when Sprint updated the OS to 2.1 but it's running great now. There are a couple of great programs to root your phone with and after that the sky is the limit.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife's contract is up and she wants the Iphone but then plays with my Samsung Fascinate and gets all torn up. She's got a Droid 2 right now. I keep telling her the android os is so much better than apple.

I've got a Droid X...I've had it for almost 9 months, now. Very happy with it.

Wife got an iPhone 4 from Verizon a couple of days ago. So far she's complained that the screen is smaller, and it doesn't have voice recognition. But it has a much cuter case than my Droid X.

Droid X here. I got a pretty good deal from a guy who wanted to sell his Verizon Droid X and had it fully flashed for Cricket. My monthy bill is $55.00 FOR UNLIMITED everything! You gotta be careful with that though because many of those phone places can't or don't know how to FULLY flash them. If its not fully flashed you don't get all the features. With mine I can do everything. I used the built in GPS program to get me to Disney World and back last week. Worked great!

As far as swiping goes, can those who use swype tell me how steep the learning curve is? I haven't yet tried that.

Swype can be a little difficult to learn. The first time I used it I was not pleased. Now, it's the only thing I'm proficient with. It's a little aggravating to get the dictionary to your liking, but it learns very quick.

I guess it depends on the person then. I had my DX for about 3 months before I found out about it. I was using it that afternoon faster than regular typing.

Grantonius, do you type or are you a "hunt and peck" guy? I wonder if that's the difference?

The way it works is you put your finger on the first letter of the word and just drag over the other letters. If you have a double letter, like the "L" in Hello, just kind of wiggle your finger over that letter and keep moving. When you're done with a word pick up your finger and repeat for the next word. Spaces are automatically inserted between words. Easy peasy.

I've got a Droid X...I've had it for almost 9 months, now. Very happy with it.

Wife got an iPhone 4 from Verizon a couple of days ago. So far she's complained that the screen is smaller, and it doesn't have voice recognition. But it has a much cuter case than my Droid X.

Have her hold down the home button for three seconds then say things like, call, play music by, find, etc...

My wife has an HTC Eris and doesn't like it. It's glitchy, kick you off the web regularly, doesn't ring at all or only for a couple seconds before going to voicemail, the "swipe to answer" doesn't work very well, ... She wants an iphone4 when the contract is up. I still use the LG flip phone I've had for about 5 years.

Apparently I'm technology challenged as I've never heard of rooting or kernels. Hopefully google will educate me.

Wow, am I the only person in the world that looks for a cell phone....that's just a phone? God knows the guys at Best Buy got a good laugh when I told them I wanted a phone with no features. Buttons 0-9, #,* , on and off, and a volume control. Nothing else. My eyes are bad enough without squinting to see and fumbling with buttons the size of ball powder granules. I got a Nokia AT&T flip phone and it has too much crap on it. I dunno how you guys ENJOY using the Droid. My wife is an iPhone nut and keeps trying to get me to get one or use on of her old ones. I'm 34, crabby as heck, years old and I don't wanna have to LEARN to use a friggin telephone.

*sigh*

Guest Grantonius
Grantonius, do you type or are you a "hunt and peck" guy? I wonder if that's the difference?

I'm not a typist, but I don't hunt and peck either. It was just the tracing the words instead of pressing the letters that i had a problem with, something about not thinking where my finger needed to go next. I now use it without issue, and would loathe to have to revert back to the standard way of text imput.

Got the Droid X last November and love it. My iPhone is now an iPod. The only thing I noticed is that the Droid is not iMac friendly. (had to do some research to sync my music and pics) and tethering to my laptop with Linux takes a few commands in terminal, but at least I can tether... iPhone couldn't do that. Really like the screen and 720p camera ! Also the DLNA feature to play music and pics thru my blu-ray is great !

How's Netflix workin out for ya? :bowrofl:

Touche! But the voice search/dial/text/e-mail works pretty well. I also like the big screen, fast processor, expandable memory, and swype keyboard. But that's just me. ;)

Wow, am I the only person in the world that looks for a cell phone....that's just a phone? God knows the guys at Best Buy got a good laugh when I told them I wanted a phone with no features. Buttons 0-9, #,* , on and off, and a volume control. Nothing else. My eyes are bad enough without squinting to see and fumbling with buttons the size of ball powder granules. I got a Nokia AT&T flip phone and it has too much crap on it. I dunno how you guys ENJOY using the Droid. My wife is an iPhone nut and keeps trying to get me to get one or use on of her old ones. I'm 34, crabby as heck, years old and I don't wanna have to LEARN to use a friggin telephone.

*sigh*

You are a freak to be sure. I mean how have you survived so long without Angry Birds? :P

I'm not a typist, but I don't hunt and peck either. It was just the tracing the words instead of pressing the letters that i had a problem with, something about not thinking where my finger needed to go next. I now use it without issue, and would loathe to have to revert back to the standard way of text imput.

Well it was a theory. Apparently not a good one though.

Got the Droid X last November and love it. My iPhone is now an iPod. The only thing I noticed is that the Droid is not iMac friendly. (had to do some research to sync my music and pics) and tethering to my laptop with Linux takes a few commands in terminal, but at least I can tether... iPhone couldn't do that. Really like the screen and 720p camera ! Also the DLNA feature to play music and pics thru my blu-ray is great !

Please tell me you don't mean you can sync your Droid X with iTunes! If so, please tell me how!

Guest Oaklands

I've got my regular droid overclocked to 1.2ghz. Also got a program called subsonic I donated for. Runs at my house. Can play music and movies from my house. Cool to listen to my music from home on my stereo in my truck.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Guest mikedwood

I have a Droid X love it except for today when the screen just starts randomly opening apps. Getting a replacement in the mail tomorrow.

My wife hated my iPhone at first, but came around pretty quick. She couldn't get one, b/c she's got Verizon. So, she got a Motorola Droid X and like it pretty good. She still has to carry an iPod too, b/c she can't figure out how to load music. I offered to show her, but she can't be bothered.

Droid X here. I got a pretty good deal from a guy who wanted to sell his Verizon Droid X and had it fully flashed for Cricket. My monthy bill is $55.00 FOR UNLIMITED everything! You gotta be careful with that though because many of those phone places can't or don't know how to FULLY flash them. If its not fully flashed you don't get all the features. With mine I can do everything. I used the built in GPS program to get me to Disney World and back last week. Worked great!

As far as swiping goes, can those who use swype tell me how steep the learning curve is? I haven't yet tried that.

Swype is so easy I can do it. ZING! There is a tutorial that will walk you step by step.

Guest UberDuper

Iphone for me. I tried the samsung galaxy phone for about a week before I took it back for the iphone. The original software on the galaxy phones was very buggy. I'll probably try an android phone again when the iphone bites it.

The only issues I really have with the iphone is no keyboard (and bt keyboard support is pretty crappy) and you can't customize alert durations and repeats. I'm oncall 24/7 and I need my phone to keep complaining until I respond.

I ordered an Otterbox Defender for my Samsung. With the phone in the case the buttons on the bottom don't work right. Anyone else had this problem?

I can't speak for that model, but I can give a glowing recommendation for the Otterbox. It's saved my butt a few times from falls that would have otherwise demolished my phone.