Show of hands: Who here plays guitar?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is one of the early symptoms of GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). :hyper:

Amen to that. Next thing you know your savings account is crying, "Uncle," and you have multiple thousands worth of gear spread around your house.

Guest Ae-35

Played for 25yr. In 05 came down with RA. When it got to my wrists , well playing for an hour and hurting for 2 days or more, just couldn't do it. I sold all my guitars, Guild DV52,( my fav. ), Taylor, even my D28HB Matrin, finally my 68 Fender Strat. Oh well, it was a great ride !!!!

Guest Jamie

I have a very cheap acoustic/electric guitar that I bought a couple'a years ago... And although I play with it... and at it... I don't really think anyone will label what I can currently do "playing guitar". :D

Sad fact is, there are several really good guitar players in my family... ones I grew up with... but I never had the urge to pick one up 'til a couple of years ago. And the reasons for that are interesting to say the least.

I'll have to tell y'all about it, when I have more time to type. It's a ghost story, of sorts... ;):D

Anyway, I haven't picked the thing up in months now... the screwy weather has played hell with my hands, and I've had other things to do when it hasn't. This thread has inspired me though, and I think I'll drag the cheap Chinese bastard out and tune it up tomorrow, and see what I still remember.

I started playing in the mid-90's while in college. I was a band geek long before that. As many others have said, I wish I started playing much sooner. My wife picked up the banjo a few years ago and we both were taking bluegrass lessons and really enjoyed it. But then I lost my job and we had to move away from the instructor. :( I'd like to start back with the lessons again but we haven't found a local instructor and with 2 kids, I've no idea where we'd find the time. About the only time I have now is when my 3 yr old says "Daddy, pway bu guitar!" Translated, that means... "dearest father, if you would be so kind as to entertain me for the next 30 seconds by strumming a melodious tune on that beautiful instrument, I'd be most grateful." ;)

I have an old Ibanez EX electric, two humbuckers plus a single with a Floyd Rose. It runs through a Peavy 212 Classic Chorus. I also have an Ovation knock-off acoustic.

I'll also strongly recommend starting out with some lessons. Better to prevent bad habits than fix them later.

Guest mustangdave

I've been playing guitar since 1972...first guitar was a Japanese copy of a Gibson Hummingbird...have had a number of Ovations...a Fender Telecaster signed by Waylon, Seagull Grand parlor guitar...current inventory in the practice room are a 76 Gibson Mk-35...2K Epiphone PR-350 S/R...and a Breedlove N200/CMP nylon string

Guest Lester Weevils

Today is a great time for musicians on a limited budget. Back in the 1960's and 1970's the inexpensive Woolworth guitars and basses were nearly unplayable.

Really good guitarists can do an amazingly good job on just about any bad axe. Though of course they prefer nice instruments. But beginners and people of modest ability need all the help they can get with a playable instrument.

Many inexpensive guitars of today come from Korea and the quality control is very good for the price.

Looking at acoustic guitars that have been "out in the field" for a few years, some of the inexpensive guitars seem more likely to develop neck problems and such compared to better instruments.

When I was looking for a good but not expensive acoustic geetar about 10 years ago, played about every guitar in every store in the area. Tone was an interesting variable. The Korean guitars tended to sound all about the same. Almost quality control gone amuck. The korean copies of jumbo-body acoustics, dreadnaughts, small-body acoustics-- In general all sounded passable and played well enough, but all had very similar generic tone.

But with hurt-yer-wallet Martins, Gibsons, Guilds, you could hear obvious difference between the models. Different materials and sizes of the guitars gave obviously different tone.

I would buy different guitars for different tone options. It seems senseless to buy several guitars that look great and all look different, if they all sound about the same. When I got that cedar-top Seagull, was recording with some guys who had a vintage Martin small-body with a wonderful "transparent" sound, and a Takamine with a clear bright tone. Was looking for something "in the middle" between those two.

The Canadian Seagulls seemed very good for the money. The necks were good, tone was nice, and you could hear a tonal difference between the different models. Mine has held up well over a decade. The neck is still perfect. It doesn't get played to death, but a weak guitar will go bad just sitting in the case over time.

Haven't gone guitar shopping lately. Maybe it is different nowadays.

Apologies for the rambling.

Guest mustangdave

Good stuff Lester, I have found that quality wood guitars...almost always sound "the same" at the store...for reasons like crappy old strings...bad climate control. My Epiphone is 10 years old...when I bought it the tone was bright and crisp...as its aged its opened up really nice...became a bit more boomy and warm...the old Gibson has so much sustain is sick...the Breedlove is only a year old...but nylon strings are warm and soft to begin with....and the cedar and maple combo is really a nice combination of woods for classical tone

I've been playing banjo for about 35 years. I can play a guitar, upright and electric bass.

My best advice is for you to find a regular jam session and sit in.

This is great advice. I've been playing for around 20 years (though I'm not nearly as good as I should be for playing that long). Took lessons for a few months but I learned the most from playing with other guitarist and getting tips from them. I've got an American Strat, Jackson dinky, a couple of cheap classicals, a 5 string bass and a Martin electric/acoustic (my baby).

Guest db99wj
Humph! I hate every one of you guitar playing buttheads. I'd gladly trade 10 years of my life for the ability, but I can't even play a radio. I couldn't carry a tune if you loaded it in a wheel barrow. Sad but true, I come from a family of some of the most talented musicians anywhere, and most of them don't even like to play. My father used to play the guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle and could make a steel guitar cry. Me, I can play one hell of an air guitar. And for the record, I practiced hard for years. Wasted years I should have made myself into a better shooter.

So play on you bunch of heathens! I'll be here lamenting my tone deaf, no rhythm having lack of talent, listening to Joe Satriani make fools out of most everyone who ever picked up a guitar.;):(

This. My dad could play the banjo, my grandmother could play the piano, by ear.

I can't remember words to songs, ask my wife, I can't understand how instruments work. I understand a note, and how it makes a certain sound, I can even put a couple of notes together, for a crappy rendition of Smoke on the Water, but never could get past that. My son shows he has some interest and natural talent when it comes with music. He sat down at some drums at a friends house, and a kid who is taking lessons, showed him a few things, and my son, picked up the sticks and started playing what he had heard. Piano, he can put a few things together, self taught. Guitar he hasn't had much experience, but he seems to "get it".

Rhythm. I has none.

I would love to be able to play a few things, but I don't know if I would be able too. I don't want to play professionally or anything, but it would be nice just to be able to make a sound and not a noise.

Edited by db99wj

I've been playing for about 15 years now, started when I was in middle school and they needed a bass player for the jazz band. So I started taking lessons and transitioned from 4 to 6 strings in high school. Now I just play for fun. I'm mediocre at best but still love playing. I have a Tacamine G series Acoustic/Electric, a 1973 Fender Jazz Bass, and will inherit a 1963 Gibson ES-335 someday.

Guest mustangdave

I bought the Breedlove nylon string guitar to "learn" some classical style play...but its hard as crap. The nylon sting guitar has a nice mello tone too.

Anyone ever play classical guitar? I have always loved classical guitar, but never made the time to play it.

Willie Nelson!

I've played one but not in the classical style, they have a wider neck and tend to be harder for people to learn on, or who have small hands. I like the sound but prefer steel strings for sure.

• 7 months later...

Well... I got my pre-Fender Jackson SL-2H Soloist back from my brother.

img2011110800259.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I bought this guitar back in 2000 while I was in NYC visiting my brother. It was my favorite electric I ever owned or played.

While I was at work today I heard "To Live is to Die" by Metallica. That was the very first Metallica song that I learned to play in it's entirety. I pulled out one of my guitars this evening and spent about 30 minutes running through some scales and various exercises. I then went to my bookshelf and grabbed my Cherry Lane songbook for And Justice For All. I flipped it open to "To Live is to Die" and started working through some of it. Sheesh, I suck so bad. I remember that song used to be so easy to play, but now it is just terrible.

I really want to get back to playing, but I don't know if I will have the patience of relearning everything again. I wish I had never quit. :drunk:

Guest Victor9er

I used to play, started back when I was in highschool. Played in a couple of bands that never did anything. I haven't played now though for about the last 6 years... though there was one point in there when I picked it up again for a very brief period.

I've owned several guitars through the years, mostly Ibanez models. Allthough my first "name brand" guitar that I bought for myself was a Jackson King-V (I was a big Dave Mustaine/Megadeth fan). I had a couple of the Ibanez RG series, and a 7-string model for a while. I also worked at a music store for a few years and got a chance to play a ton of guitars, we sold Ibanez, Fender and Gibson primarily.

Most of my stuff I've sold, including my rack/half stack that I recently got rid of. But I still have three guitars that I don't plan on selling. One is an Ibanez Jem, the other is an ESP E-series, and this is a pic of my prized possession...

20870_134606249901141_100000553017266_266866_3521861_n.jpg

Ibanez V-Blade (they only made this model for one year)

Edited by Victor9er