General gun show gripes

mav

yes i shouldnt say who it is as the dealer can tell about it when he is ready.i go to gunshows every weekend tulsa arms show is by far the best .i dont want people walking around in gunshows with loaded guns because by the nature of it someone will ask to see it and bang it will go off.now i know that wouldnt happen to anyone here but why take the chance i have been at too many shows where a gun went off.most of the time it was someone carrying and someonr elsr asked to see it and bang it went off not fun if you are working a show .also no jerky at goodman shows at nashville fair board wont allow it

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nicemac
You can't see my loaded weapon to ask to see it :), that goes to the security as well. I have never once been asked if I had a gun or a magazine.

They had signs clearly posted.

They had signs clearly posted.

That was my original question, did they have legal posting signs per Tn law. I have not carried at a gun show because I have been told many times that it's posted. However the last time I went I did not see a posted sign, just one saying guns must be unloaded. I have carried many loaded mags though and never been asked to show them.

Guest nicemac
That was my original question, did they have legal posting signs per Tn law. I have not carried at a gun show because I have been told many times that it's posted. However the last time I went I did not see a posted sign, just one saying guns must be unloaded. I have carried many loaded mags though and never been asked to show them.

So is a sign stating that all guns must be unloaded legal/ binding?

Whatever policy the gun show sets is all that matters...if they say you can't carry or they cay you can carry your weapons in but they must be unloaded then that's how it has to happen...this isn't a matter of "signage".

I suggest that if you ever talked with a show owner who has been doing this a while and asked them to relate some of their experiences with the folks bringing loaded weapons to their shows; you would probably understand why they don't want the attendees walking around loaded.

Guest RevScottie

The real reason that shows require unloaded weapons is very simple, it's called CYA. If a weapon is discharged and someone is hurt they can claim they did everything in their power to prevent it.

Guest nicemac
The real reason that shows require unloaded weapons is very simple, it's called CYA. If a weapon is discharged and someone is hurt they can claim they did everything in their power to prevent it.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner!

Yep… and that’s exactly why businesses post.

I got spoiled going to OGCA (Ohio Gun Collectors Assoc) yrs ago. Members only, way over 1000 tables, and it would take 3+hrs just to walk the tables without really spending a lot of time at any one. Just about any shooting accessory could be found if you were willing to dig around. Many serious collectors had their collections out working to upgrade them. Even if you weren't going to buy you could get an education.

I believe Internet and catalog sales have cut way into accesories at gun shows. Likewise higher end dealers. Why drag expensive stuff around at current gas prices and risk them getting damaged/stolen when you can list them on Gunbroker at a high end fair price and have customers come to you?

i am leaving in the morning for tulsa ok if you have never been you should go just once .robertnashville if you go pm me i have an extra badge .there are great barging at that show most of the big guys set up powder valley graffs and the like but also a lot of the gun mfg. its 13.5 miles of isles in 1 room 11.5 acres gotta see it to belive it. i have been going for over 20 years.its no the folks who carry a gun where it cant be srrn its the ones who think yhey know it all in nashville in the last 15 years there have been 3 ads all were policemen

Whatever policy the gun show sets is all that matters...if they say you can't carry or they cay you can carry your weapons in but they must be unloaded then that's how it has to happen...this isn't a matter of "signage".

I suggest that if you ever talked with a show owner who has been doing this a while and asked them to relate some of their experiences with the folks bringing loaded weapons to their shows; you would probably understand why they don't want the attendees walking around loaded.

+1. :devil: It seems a lot of people are just looking for a loop hole & a reason to break the rules & shout to the sky, "I won't be told what to do!" If you've got to ask a question about a posted 'no loaded guns' sign, then you know they don't want loaded guns on the property. Like it or not, we need to abide by the rules. If people keep bragging about sneaking loaded guns into shows, next thing you know...no more gun shows. You own a gun...you should be intelligent enough to act grown up for a few hours and follow their rules, whether you agree or not. I remember posts after one of the Expo shows last year. Most of the posts were guys whining about getting their bullets taken away at the door, when there were about a hundred bright neon signs outside the building & on the entrance doors stating "No Loaded Guns or Ammunition". Remember...at gun shows, you're a guest! If you want to be an idiot, then stay home. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!

Edited by luvmyberetta

+1. :devil: It seems a lot of people are just looking for a loop hole & a reason to break the rules & shout to the sky, "I won't be told what to do!" If you've got to ask a question about a posted 'no loaded guns' sign, then you know they don't want loaded guns on the property. Like it or not, we need to abide by the rules. If people keep bragging about sneaking loaded guns into shows, next thing you know...no more gun shows. You own a gun...you should be intelligent enough to act grown up for a few hours and follow their rules, whether you agree or not. I remember posts after one of the Expo shows last year. Most of the posts were guys whining about getting their bullets taken away at the door, when there were about a hundred bright neon signs outside the building & on the entrance doors stating "No Loaded Guns or Ammunition". Remember...at gun shows, you're a guest! If you want to be an idiot, then stay home. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!

thank you thats it

+1. :up: It seems a lot of people are just looking for a loop hole & a reason to break the rules & shout to the sky, "I won't be told what to do!" If you've got to ask a question about a posted 'no loaded guns' sign, then you know they don't want loaded guns on the property. Like it or not, we need to abide by the rules. If people keep bragging about sneaking loaded guns into shows, next thing you know...no more gun shows. You own a gun...you should be intelligent enough to act grown up for a few hours and follow their rules, whether you agree or not. I remember posts after one of the Expo shows last year. Most of the posts were guys whining about getting their bullets taken away at the door, when there were about a hundred bright neon signs outside the building & on the entrance doors stating "No Loaded Guns or Ammunition". Remember...at gun shows, you're a guest! If you want to be an idiot, then stay home. Don't ruin it for the rest of us!

Ruin what? Gun shows? Are you serious, I don't see how asking them to follow the law is hurting you? And if someone chooses to carry past an sign that doest follow simple guidlines then I don't see how that has any bearing on you either. It's not against the law to carry past a sign that doesn't follow simple rules, if you don't like that i cant help you. I specifically mentioned that I have not carried inside a gun show, apparently you didn't read that part. I own lots of guns and act grown up equally as much.

Ruin what? Gun shows? Are you serious, I don't see how asking them to follow the law is hurting you? And if someone chooses to carry past an sign that doest follow simple guidlines then I don't see how that has any bearing on you either. It's not against the law to carry past a sign that doesn't follow simple rules, if you don't like that i cant help you. I specifically mentioned that I have not carried inside a gun show, apparently you didn't read that part. I own lots of guns and act grown up equally as much.

Dang, dude! You're kinda touchy for a guy that wasn't even mentioned. If you actually read my post, I said it was concerning posts about a past Expo show from last year. It only applies to you if you're one of those guys sneaking in loose ammo and...oh, yeah...you said you did! :up:

My problem when I go to the shows is I really don't know prices good enough to know if I would be getting a good deal or not. I have not been shopping around that much and I don't have a big wish list yet. My problem is I would probably see something and decide I would like to have that then not know if it is over priced which probably would be. Someday I would like to get my hands on some WW2 guns but I certainly don't want to over pay and I want them to work. I really don't know which ones I want either.

Dang, dude! You're kinda touchy for a guy that wasn't even mentioned. If you actually read my post, I said it was concerning posts about a past Expo show from last year. It only applies to you if you're one of those guys sneaking in loose ammo and...oh, yeah...you said you did! :up:

Read your post again dude, you specifically mention people asking about the legality of postings and being intelligent and acting grown up. I'm the one who asked the question about the sign posting, so how is that not directed at me? frankly I could give a **** about the loose ammo. There is not even a law against carrying that anywhere except and airport.

I "sneak in" a loaded pistol every gun show, with "loose ammo" in a spare mag. Because it's my EDC and because it's not illegal. I do it because I don't leave guns in my vehicles, and I don't leave home without a gun. If I bring a gun I'm going to handle for whatever reason, I check it in.

Btw, you lost any credence with me for your legal interpretations after making the statement that "Wearing sheath knives of any length is prohibited in all public places in TN." (http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/knives-bladed-tools/47229-legal-folder-carry-blade-length.html#post669129)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
I "sneak in" a loaded pistol every gun show, with "loose ammo" in a spare mag. Because it's my EDC and because it's not illegal. I do it because I don't leave guns in my vehicles, and I don't leave home without a gun. If I bring a gun I'm going to handle for whatever reason, I check it in.

It's not all about legality. It's about respect for where you are and the fact that the organizers asked you not too carry with loaded mags. Guess you had to chime in with your bullshlt too. Blah, blah, blah....:up:

Edited by luvmyberetta
Guess you had to chime in with your bullshlt too. Blah, blah, blah....:up:

Your statement, "Wearing sheath knives of any length is prohibited in all public places in TN." is factual, but my quoting it constitutes bs.

As usual, a most deeply conceived and nuanced opinion on your part -- once again I'm most impressed.

- OS

A good gun show will have bargains. One used to be able to go to a gun show and get a deal

on something. That doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Over the years I've bought guns and reloading equipment at gun shows. During the last 1-2 years, everytime I leave a gunshow, I'm sorry I wasted the time and entrance fee.

i am leaving in the morning for tulsa ok if you have never been you should go just once .robertnashville if you go pm me i have an extra badge .there are great barging at that show most of the big guys set up powder valley graffs and the like but also a lot of the gun mfg. its 13.5 miles of isles in 1 room 11.5 acres gotta see it to belive it. i have been going for over 20 years.its no the folks who carry a gun where it cant be srrn its the ones who think yhey know it all in nashville in the last 15 years there have been 3 ads all were policemen

I'd love to go with you but can't this time...I'm hoping to go to the November show this year!

Ditto to this. If I'd know about it sooner, I would have planned on going. Gonna try and make it in November. How far of a drive is it? We make it to Ft. Smith, AR in about 7.5 hours.

I'd love to go with you but can't this time...I'm hoping to go to the November show this year!