Ruger Charger - Why?

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the Ruger Charger and have thought about picking one up, but find myself asking "why?" I mean, it's a 10/22 in pistol format, which is a stretch since it's really to large to shoot as a pistol. If I mounted a scope and the bipod, why not just shoot a regular 10/22 rifle? It still seems kind of cool, but I can't quite figure out the rationale behind it. Am I missing something on this one? :(

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a 17 yo son and a 13 yo daughter who love to shoot the Charger. I bought it about 4 years ago when the first came out. My son had never shown any interest in shooting until I brought home the Charger. We have a 100 yd range in the back yard with spinners set up at 25 & 50 yds and a 12" steel plate at 100. Both kids can make them dance, but my daughter can play a tune on that 100 yd plate. I don't really know the point of the Charger,(or many of my other toys) but it sure is a lot of fun to get out and see if the kids can outshoot dad. (they usually do!!!)

I don't get it either. It's ugly, and I see no purpose for the thing except to increase sales for Ruger. But, then, I see no purpose in AR "pistols" either.

My 223 "AR" pistol is legal to carry, in my car or whatever, loaded and ready to go. Thats really the only point to the thing, is legal extra firepower. I do not carry it normally, but I may toss it in the car: that jerk with the vest that killed the cop was inside 2 mile radius of my home. A full sized semi auto rifle loaded and ready to go in your car would be frowned upon.

The ruger 22 LR is exactly the same as the 10/22 in a smaller package and can be used anywhere a 10/22 would be, survival gun, plinker, long range target pistol, cheap lead spraying, etc.

It is a bench gun for plinking at the range. With a red dot on top it is really fun and the kids absolutly LOVE it. The inherit bulk of rifles make it less fun for them if they are under 12 or very small.

Could see it (if it would qualify) used for a competition, but I don't think it could compete against the T/C guns in silhouette matches.

It should actually cost less than the 10/22....less material...less shipping costs...etc. Go figure.

It is a bench gun for plinking at the range. With a red dot on top it is really fun and the kids absolutly LOVE it. The inherit bulk of rifles make it less fun for them if they are under 12 or very small.

Could see it (if it would qualify) used for a competition, but I don't think it could compete against the T/C guns in silhouette matches.

It should actually cost less than the 10/22....less material...less shipping costs...etc. Go figure.

we had not done silhouette matches in a few years, but in the rimfire pistol division we used buckmarks, there alot of rugers but very few TC's until you get to the center fire pistol. in 22rf rifle aleast 50% where 10/22.

we had not done silhouette matches in a few years, but in the rimfire pistol division we used buckmarks, there alot of rugers but very few TC's until you get to the center fire pistol. in 22rf rifle aleast 50% where 10/22.

At CRC here in Chattanooga...there is a group of 15 or so in rimfire pistol silhouette. All but one uses a T/C contender. It must differ from club to club.

Because. Fun to shoot. Easy and unintimidating to shoot, and shoot well. Mine is Tacticool, and every child between 9&13 that has seen it, begged to shoot it. With my Eotech on top, it is more interesting than any videogame, cell phone, computer or TV. Plus I have more "defense" ammo than "practice" ammo in every caliber BUT 22LR. And when I need to, I can shell out $20 for 500 rounds of fun. :screwy:

Guest GAD601

pmi_AA556P.jpg

Here is another Option. Pro Mag offers an Archangle stock for it. I bet the kids will really like it then. (It was my 14 yr old sun who found this and showed it to me)

I may be the only man in the world who doesn't care at all for the Ruger 10/22 so I'm probably wrong. I would rather have a tube fed semi-auto like Remington model 60 if you like semi-autos and the Marlin model 100 if you like accurate single shots. I had a 10/22 for years but There were a few things I didn't like about it. As far as the Charger, I can't say. but the 10/22 is not really designed with the open sights in mind, I think it begs for a scope or a red dot. When I put my Marlin 100 up to my shoulder, I'm looking down the sights. When I put the 10/22 up to my shoulder I have to cock my head sideways to look down the sights. I didn't like the 10 round mags and my 10/22 would jam too much and the trigger was so tight that I would think that I left the safety on. My J.C. Higgins 103 and Marlin 100 are much more accurate than the 10/22.

I hope I didn't hijack you post too bad...........

At CRC here in Chattanooga...there is a group of 15 or so in rimfire pistol silhouette. All but one uses a T/C contender. It must differ from club to club.

i guess i need to correct myself. the "club" we shoot at is a one man operation. he holds matches on one of his saturday's off each month. $5.00 per run. it is on private porperty. that the land owner lets him use. you may have a guy on side of you with $1,200 kimber rifle and scope then on the other side of you some one using grandpa's marlin model 60. hell i even used a glock 21 (45 ACP) once for fun in center fire. some of them in the club have been shooting for more than 20 years.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought one not long ago and was a little hesitant as well but I can honestly say I'm glad I bought it. Its fun to shoot off the back deck, fun to shoot off the hood of a car, etc and I like shooting it at the range better than I do a 22 rifle (personal preference obviously). One thing many people don't think about either is if you want you can buy a cheap 10/22 rifle stock and switch them out and its more than accurate enough to hunt squirrels and stuff with. Just something else to consider.

I bought one not long ago and was a little hesitant as well but I can honestly say I'm glad I bought it. Its fun to shoot off the back deck, fun to shoot off the hood of a car, etc and I like shooting it at the range better than I do a 22 rifle (personal preference obviously). One thing many people don't think about either is if you want you can buy a cheap 10/22 rifle stock and switch them out and its more than accurate enough to hunt squirrels and stuff with. Just something else to consider.

I would make sure you have a rifle length barrel sitting around for the rifle stock. If you only have the Charger and a rifle stock you could get yourself into some trouble with the ATF. It is unlikely they would ever find out unless you posted it somewhere on the internet about putting a Charger in a rifle stock. :(

watch out putting the charger action/barrel on a rifle stock. I'm pretty sure that makes it a Class III Short Barrelled Rifle (SBR) and can get you in very deep doo doo.

Yes it is ILLEGAL to put the Charger, which is classified as a pistol, in a rifle stock unless you swap in a barrel 16" or longer. It is perfectly legal to take a pistol receiver and convert it to a rifle so long as the 16" barrel as well as the 26" overall lengths are met.

Dolomite