Is the Mosin Nagant really all that and a bag of chips?

There seems to be quite a following for that rifle. What's so great about it? I know they can be had fairly cheaply, but I am under the impression the ammo is tough to get and from glancing at them on the rack, they look like a typical surplus bolt rifle. What am I missing on this one? Is this one I need to pick up for my collection?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are exactly what Garufa said. If that's your definition of all that and a bag of chips, then yes, you need one. I've had several. "Had" being the operative word there. I thought they were all that, but they never came with a bag of chips so I parted ways.

No, seriously, I just didn't like feeding another caliber that, while easy to get mil-surp ammo for, is not so easy to get decent components to reload for.

Guest Bronker
The rifle is cheap and accurate enough for what it is. If fires a full-sized cartridge and surplus ammo is readily available for less than $.20/round shipped.

They are just fun.

This. I've had no trouble finding ammo. They are fun, nostalgic, historical. I just like having one, even if it gets shot very little.

It's an old warhorse of a battle rifle, and there's something undeniably cool about that. It's the ego thing about firing a "big" cartridge, and the satisfaction of doing so on the cheap. It's somewhat rude and crude, but functions beautifully. It's "minute of paper plate" accurate, and that's good enough. When drawing a bead, one can't help but channel a little Vasily Zaytsev. Somehow that fuzzy paper plate begins to resemble a German helmet, and that makes you smile on the inside.

Every decade has its surplus rifle of choice, and its always the same answer: cheap, lots of ammo (also cheap), 10's of thousands dumped onto the market, etc. These are good rifles, to be sure, but when they run out and some other obsolete gun is sold in bulk, the story will repeat. At the end of they day they are exactly what you said (typical surplus BA gun) and also what others said (one of the better typical BA guns with various things going for them).

OK. Like my post on the Ruger Charger the other day, I sometimes wonder if I am missing something on certain guns. This time it was a thread I read where someone wanted to start bench shooting with a Nagant. It thought "really???" It made me wonder if this was some little gem of a tack-driver that I was out of the loop on. It's one of those rifles I've tossed around the idea of picking up because they are so cheap, but just never have. I wonder if this will end up like the SKS; $100 now, $300 in a decade? Hmmm....

The short ones are a "ball of fire" at night. You better close your eyes just before the pin hits the primer because you can't see nuttin,

About the current milsurp...yup...allthough I'm thinkin the world is rapidly running out of bolt actions. I'd still rather have a K-31...Youtube has some spectacular videos.

OK. Like my post on the Ruger Charger the other day, I sometimes wonder if I am missing something on certain guns. This time it was a thread I read where someone wanted to start bench shooting with a Nagant. It thought "really???" It made me wonder if this was some little gem of a tack-driver that I was out of the loop on. It's one of those rifles I've tossed around the idea of picking up because they are so cheap, but just never have. I wonder if this will end up like the SKS; $100 now, $300 in a decade? Hmmm....

where are you finding these 100$ now sks am i missing something? lol

Guest friesepferd

cheap to buy, good chunk of history, ammo is avaliable and fairly cheap (surplus, found at gunshows kinda thing), short ones are REALLY fun to shoot at night (big fireball), got a nice good kick to them, quite accurate for what it is, most have a bayonet which is just fun, its actually more accurate with the bayonet out.

its just a cheap and very fun gun to shoot. considering the cost, well worth having.

I was referring to how the SKS used to sell for $100 all day long, but now they are 3 times that. I wonder if the Nagant will be the same way in a few years. :-)

Well, look at the Mauser. Many moons ago, you couldn't swing a dead cat in a gun show, what you didn't hit a dozen of them. Find them now. The stray Yugo occasionally. The rest are gone or command a hefty price.

The Mosin could easily be the same way.

Just for fun/reference I have a few old copies of gun magazines from the late 60's. A listing shows : Enfield - $20 Mauser - $25 Russian Army bolt action - $12.50

My how things have changed.

yeah i bought my norinco sks for 275$ a month ago, when i was a kid my dad was buying them for like 75$ there are alot of 91/30s compared to other mosins so i doubt they will go up much but the others ones harder to find mite go up

dunno why you thought that ammo was hard to get for them. Easy to find and still cheap.

Would not buy one for bench rest shooting, but just to blast away they are hard to beat.

this thread seems to have been dead for a while but it has a lot of good info in it and may explain to you why some of us love them

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/curio-relics-black-powder/23616-more-mosin-fact.html?highlight=mosin+fact

You got me there! How bout a centerfire?

A Mosin is probably the best centerfire deal out there right now. A Turk Mauser might be in second place, but ammo cost and availability (of the rifle and ammo) puts the Mosin ahead. A nice Mosin, like a Finnish model, may sell for 350-400 on the high end. A basic 91/30 can be found for about 100 bucks, and that's a hard deal to beat.

Guest caveturkey

Just for fun/reference I have a few old copies of gun magazines from the late 60's. A listing shows : Enfield - $20 Mauser - $25 Russian Army bolt action - $12.50

My how things have changed.

That is awesome!

The rifle is cheap and accurate enough for what it is. If fires a full-sized cartridge and surplus ammo is readily available for less than $.20/round shipped.

They are just fun.

Hmm, I knew the ammo was cheap, someone mind letting me in on where to find the ammo for .20/round? I still have to get mine cleaned up and ready for the range but at that price I will be very happy. Yes I am aware of corrosive primers and the need to clean very well after use.