HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest Chisum

Merry Christmas to me! Took 53 days, but it finally came...

I called DOS Monday. They told me to call back after 90 days. I pushed the rep to check and see if it had been issued. 5 minutes later she told me it had and should be here in 7-10. Squeaky wheel gets the grease I guess!

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GUTTERbOY
I'm just really surprised that DOS will take a call until the 90 days have passed.

Maybe they ought to build an automated system where you can go online, enter your DL# and name, and find out the status. It wouldn't be any more insecure than the current system- the times I called, I wasn't asked for any information beyond those two items to verify my identity. Seems from my calls that they're checking status on a computerized system anyway, shouldn't be too hard to build a web portal for the thing.

Maybe they ought to build an automated system where you can go online, enter your DL# and name, and find out the status. It wouldn't be any more insecure than the current system- the times I called, I wasn't asked for any information beyond those two items to verify my identity. Seems from my calls that they're checking status on a computerized system anyway, shouldn't be too hard to build a web portal for the thing

But your talking about the goberment here!

I don't see how it can be hard to do either.

Go to the TN Department of Health's website and you can look up licensure verification for health care providers. That's how you find out if you passed your state exams, until you get the hard copy of your license...when it shows "in process".

Would be a lot easier than calling them on the phone.

Edited by possum
Guest EasilyObsessed
This occurred to me too. Why not number the applications and let people go to a DOS page and check the status based on that?

If they dont have the money to hire extra people at maybe $10/hr to process applications, it is hard to assume they have the extra money to hire out a programmer to design that at ~$40/hr.

Guest sling

Or maybe one of us frustrated IT guys might make it and present it to them for free simply so others dont have to suffer anymore.

That would be my community service for the day.

If they dont have the money to hire extra people at maybe $10/hr to process applications, it is hard to assume they have the extra money to hire out a programmer to design that at ~$40/hr.

How much does it cost to have DOS personnel talk to folks on the phone? I would think the cost would be offset pretty quickly.

Guest EasilyObsessed

So....my permit expires in a couple weeks. I sent in my application the first week of March and they cashed the check on March 11. I had wanted to call last month and find out what the problem was, but I figured I should at least give them 90 days.

I just called a few minutes ago and the conversation lasted all of 1 minute:

Them: "Can I have you drivers license number?"

Me: "xxxxxxxx"

Them: "Mr. Williams?"

Me: "Yes"

Them: "Is your correct address <address here>"

Me: "Yes"

Them: "I can approve your renewal. You should receive your permit in 7-10 days."

dial tone....

WTF! If that is all that it takes for them to approve a permit, why in the hell did it take so long?

Guest sling

It almost sounds like they get tired of taking calls....:)

I wonder if just clicking the magic button when people call is what got them in trouble to begin with. You all probably make the process take that much longer with each time they have to answer the phone about a status. :-\

They tell you about 90 days when you fill the paper work out and they'll call you if they run into problems or have questions. Just let it ride...

Reminds me of days of working at a IT Helpdesk.

Edited by sling
Guest GUTTERbOY
It almost sounds like they get tired of taking calls....:)

I wonder if just clicking the magic button when people call is what got them in trouble to begin with. You all probably make the process take that much longer with each time they have to answer the phone about a status. :-

They tell you about 90 days when you fill the paper work out and they'll call you if they run into problems or have questions. Just let it ride...

Reminds me of days of working at a IT Helpdesk.

If they don't want us to call to check on the status, then they shouldn't publicize the fact that they'll do it. Heck, it's got its own option in the answering service... "To check the status of a handgun permit application, press 4".

That said, the "taking up their time" argument is exactly why a web-based checker would be useful. Unless they're running some truly bizarre database system, it would be child's play to build something like that. I could do it in a couple hours max. I suppose the roadblock there would be that, since it's a government operation, they'd have to fill out 237 different forms, and then get the blessing of the DOS commissioner, Billy Graham, Darth Naifeh, the governer, and maybe even Che Geuvera.

Guest sling
That said, the "taking up their time" argument is exactly why a web-based checker would be useful. Unless they're running some truly bizarre database system, it would be child's play to build something like that. I could do it in a couple hours max. I suppose the roadblock there would be that, since it's a government operation, they'd have to fill out 237 different forms, and then get the blessing of the DOS commissioner, Billy Graham, Darth Naifeh, the governer, and maybe even Che Geuvera.

Oh man i agree. I'm all for them to have a machine do it. It leaves time for the people to pump out the things for you all. It would be so easy to mitigate everything to a SQL or Oracle database and just have people query it with their DL.

I didnt mean to sound rash. :)

The whole thing about even having to have a permit would make the founding fathers roll over in their graves, IMO.

Guest ChiefSmitty

Congrats. I think I had to wait about 10 weeks. I waited every day for the mailman to come. Thought maybe he delivered it to the wrong address, happens way to much here. I keep gettting the neighbor's mail, to include his stimulus check.

Guest GUTTERbOY
Congrats. I think I had to wait about 10 weeks. I waited every day for the mailman to come. Thought maybe he delivered it to the wrong address, happens way to much here. I keep gettting the neighbor's mail, to include his stimulus check.

Now that's the kind of mistake that I can embrace! :)

Felt kind of nice to go out with a pistol on my hip again. Haven't done that in probably 18 months now- even though I had a CCW whilst living in NC, I kind of got away from carrying regularly, mainly because I was prohibited by law from carrying at my place of employment. That ain't the case here.

Tomorrow I carry to work! :)

Guest bolesie

hey hey hey. it finally arived yesterday!!! cant belive it. its been 80 days... ill see you all in the Oneida Wal-Mart tonite